P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• I've been reading up on the Yasso 800s - it's really interesting.  I'm not convinced about it's accuracy regarding reflecting marathon finishing times but it is a hell of a good workout none the less!  I think it's a really good measure of progress too.  A couple of months ago I could only manage 6 reps in about 3:50.  Would be interested to hear what the rest of you think...

• image erm.....I didn't post that again so not sure why it's there

Doing York marathon - pacers for 3:30 and for 4:00, nowt for 3:45. 

• McMillan thinks you can do 3:32 based on your 10k time...

Also, people, I love doing strides. So there.

• Well done on the Yasso's  Tiny
    I did a lot of them before my last marathon and I got them down to 3:06
    my marathon time was 3:22 so they worked out a bit optimistic for me. image

But they are a very good workout.
    Think you are capable of a 3:45, surely worth going for with it being a GFA time. 

• Tiny - I think you are definitely capable of 3:45. Most of my times were a lot slower than you and I got pretty close to 3:50. So you should be able to do it, but it is always difficult when you've never done the distance before.

• Thanks for all your input.  THink I'm going to shoot for 3:45 but will always have in my mind that if it becomes a struggle then I'll slow the pace down.  Would much rather slow it down a bit but keep running rather than push myself too hard and end up walking.

Fiona - didn't you run 3:50 on your second marathon in two weeks?  Maybe I should find another marathon to run the week before York image

Got my 12 mile MLR in last night.  Only just got back in time before the sunset, night's are drawing in now image.  How's everyone getting on at the moment?  Feels a bit quiet here lately. I guess it doesn't help that RW are making a complete tit's arse of this website.

• Right, I'll put you down for 3:45 on the P&D Thread Target List, then, Tiny. Don't let us down!

I think a few people have gone on holiday and/or fallen off the P&D wagon, which is why it's quiet. And quite a few of us are just imposters anyway, so don't post as much if the actual P&Ders don't...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Thing is Tiny, it will become a struggle and you will want to slow the pace...you need to be prepared for that.

Just saying.

7 very easy miles for me today.

• Only happened to me in the last 800m, 15W. I put that down to all the hardcore P&D training I'd done.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

If anyone has some time to kill this running blog is awesome: http://leblogdurob.com/

• literatin wrote (see)

Right, I'll put you down for 3:45 on the P&D Thread Target List, then, Tiny. Don't let us down!

No pressure then image

15West wrote (see)

Thing is Tiny, it will become a struggle and you will want to slow the pace...you need to be prepared for that.

Just saying.

Aye.  Any tips from you experienced lot about mental preparation?  Or is it just a case of not being a wuss and being as stubborn as a mule about keeping going and pushing through the pain?

• image  Ooh look after about 6 months of trying I've finally managed to do the quote thingy right!

• Back from great holiday in Italy!image Ran 3 times - just short recovery runs followed by a swim in the Adriatic - wonderful! Now back to reality...!

Have Kenilworth Half on Sunday which will be my 18 miler with 14 at MP. I'll do a long warm up to make up the miles. Not looking forward to it! image 

• Tiny Runner 85 wrote (see)
    15West wrote (see)

Just saying.

Aye.  Any tips from you experienced lot about mental preparation?  Or is it just a case of not being a wuss and being as stubborn as a mule about keeping going and pushing through the pain?

If you're anything like me you'll spend the first 18 miles telling yourself you have to slow down. It'll be almost a relief to realise, with 'only' 8 miles to go, that you can probably afford to just run as fast as you like from now on.

Sounds like a good holiday acp and we should probably all be doing long warm-ups before half-marathons and don't, so you'll be the only one doing it properly!

• Tiny - yes I did.  However I was wearing significantly less clothing the second time and I definitely wouldn't recommend it.  Unlike Lit I wanted to slow down from about mile 13 image so you just have to tell yourself you can keep going at that pace.

• Fiona - I did slow down a bit from mile 13 cos I thought it would be sensible! image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Tiny - you will want to slow down, you will want to stop...so main thing is be prepared for that and be prepared that you are going to need to will yourself to carry on and stick to your goal pace. People use different strategies..think about how much training you've done; count down the miles; simply continuously count 0 to 100; think about that nice big meal and cold beer at the end; find someone to try and keep up with or overtake, just concentrate soley on your pace, form, breathing etc...all sorts. If you can find someone or a group who is also aiming for 3.45 then maybe just stick with them, running in a group is easier than being isolated.

acp - welcome back. I'm sure the rest did you the world of good.

12mi for me this morning.

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Marathon is a week tomorrow for me. I really would like to go sub 4 hours. Did 4:02:18 in Paris, running roughly 8:45 pace until 18 miles. I think I'll try a similar pace again and hope that as my iron & haemoglobin levels are now normal I'll cope better. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oooh. Exciting. How's your taper going? Feeling fit and ready to go? Best of luck with that sub 4...which marathon you running?

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Taper's going well. I've followed the 12/55 plan and felt that the taper mileage was high compared with what I've done before So I've cut it back a little. The first week I did 15 miles and only a 5k race; this week I've done 5 miles with strides (which I also really like) and 7 with 1600s which felt good. 8 miles today. This week coming I think I'll just do 2 runs. 

Hoping I'm fit and ready to go! It's the Highland Perthshire Marathon I'm doing. Itthe only the second year of running but they've got a great package on offer. I'll let you all know how it goes! Oh, and it's my 40th birthday on Friday so I'll enjoy running it for that alone image

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Tiny - At the risk of repeating what others have said, 10x800 intervals at 3:30 with 400m "rests" is terrific.  Did you keep within the P&D suggested heart rate for intervals?  If so then I think thatif you're also doing well on the other training, especially long runs, 3:45 should be easy.  I hope to aim for 3h:30 at Chester and I doubt if I could do the Yassos faster than you did.

I agree with those who have said that if you've trained well it's hard to keep the pace down in the first half of a marathon.  I believe the last six miles are very hard if you've gone too fast early.

• Welcome back acp! Hope you're nice and rested.  Good luck with your run tomorrow - hope it goes well and acts as a confidence booster.

Clag - exciting stuff! I'm terrified about tapering - think I might end up going batshit crazy.

SGB - thanks for that, appreciate it.  Although I must add that they were proper rests inbetween each interval. You're supposed to rest for the same amount of time it takes to do one rep (so 3:30 minutes rest for me) and I just jogged the 400m really slowly in that time.  I don't wear a heart rate monitor anymore as it aggravates me too much.  Felt okay though and I did a 12mile off-road run the day after with no discomfort.

Did 21 miles today!! Well chuffed image.  Still slow, but there was 2200ft of ascent so I'm happy with the overall pace.  21.25 miles in 3:30 with the last 3 miles at faster than MP. Actually ran past my house at 20miles but decided to do one extra 'for luck'.

• Well done Tiny.... you seem to have really made some progress in the last few weeks.

Just a session on my bike today... easy 60k... got a 23k run tomorrow and then a week from hell next week...18k with 11k at HMP, 19k & 32k... bricking myself to be honest.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Tiny - you seem to be in good shape.

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Wow Tiny! That's some hilly run!

8 miles for me today. Felt painfully slow! Still not sure of the pace for next weekend. Do I maim high and go 8:35 pace (lasted for 18 miles at Paris) or slow it down to 8:50 or so? A whole 6 days to ponder. Thoughts to confuse things further are welcome image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

start at 8.50...and slowly and surely increase up to 8.35....and I want a 4min/mile sprint for the last 385 yards please.

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Ha ha! I'll do my best. Unfortunately I think my best sprint pace to date has been around 5:30!

• Clag, I think you should start at whatever pace you like, but have a rule that you're not allowed to go faster than 8:40 until 18 miles.

• Morning all. Schedule calls for 20 with 14@MP this morning but may actually build up to MP over the 14mi instead of the whole lot...will be too exhausting and I have a half marathon to practice MP next week. Weather here in Manc pretty cool and autumnal this morning, so good for running.

• How did the run go 15W?

I managed my 18 with 14 @ MP with each of the 14 fast miles under marathon pace. The problem is my 2 miles warm down was torturous and now I feel like death! And I need to do 26 miles at that pace? Not sure about it being a confidence boost!

I'm sure I will feel great about this run tomorrow. Right now I just want to pay an extended visit to my bed!