P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Hello all. Back fcrom warrington. Good race that...highly recommend it. Nice weather today also...bit breezy, but sunny and cool. Did first half at mp and then speeded up a bit and came in 1.21.xx, not sure what the xx is as didn't stop or look at my watch and official results aren't up yet.

• 15West wrote (see)

Plan is to try and stick to mp. That's the plan anyway.

HA. Knew you wouldn't. image

• I think I secretly knew I wouldn't either. I started well...then the stupid competitive side took over.

• As a late joiner to this thread, what is your target MP 15 West??

1:21 is a great standalone HM time, especially with a MP start image

• Well....somewhere between 6.20 and 6.30 I think.

• Non-committal - love it image 

It sounds like you are well on course to the faster end of that scale but make sure you save something for the hill at mile 24!

• ok, well my pb is 2.50...which is 6.30 pace. So , I was thinking having a go at 2.45 which is about 6.18, but not sure if I will be able to tbh after race results and some of my mp long runs and tempo runs. Think I may have pushed it as far as I can unless I do something radical like give up work and family and start running 100+mi a week!

So, I may start at 6.30ish and take it from there. Be nice to get 2.4xx.

• Have you done Chester before?

Great course with an innocuous looking hill at 24 that feels horrendous!

I like the start at 6:30 idea and see what happens - I'm planning the same in mine in a couple of weeks.

• Yeah, I've done chester once before, last year. The hill at mi 24 is not really that bad...but it just comes at a nasty time in the race. Made me smile last time, well...a very brief smile.

Found out my chip time today was 1.20.53, gun time 1.21.06.

• ok stattos...here's some split times:

6.27, 6.20, 6.27, 6.30, 6.13, 6.20, 6.14, 6.08, 6.11, 5.56, 5.38, 5.56, 5.55

Impressive negative split huh?! First half course there were a lot of up hills, and visa versa in 2nd half.

• Now I know about the uphill at the start I'm not impressed at your iron discipline in sticking to MP for the first half any more.

• I had bonked badly at 21 so that hill at 24 felt like Everest!!

I am very confident that you'll hammer 2:50 image

• I had my final proper long run today of 17 and it felt horrendous after racing yesterday.

Did it on a dead flat course, listening to the cricket, 15 secs a mile slower than usual and it was still nasty. Day off tomorrow (running and work) so plan to do absolutely nothing image

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Firstly, thanks for all your good wishes. Internet reception was poor so this is the first chance I've had to check in - now at home. 

The main news - I got a massive PB!!! Clocked an official time of 3:45:12 and was 3rd female veteran. I'm absolutely delighted as my previous PB was set in my 2nd marathon in 2010 and stood at 3:59:04.

What have I done differently this time? Well, I followed the 12/55 plan pretty much religiously for 9 weeks, then slashed back the taper further as I felt the mileage for me was too high. I've also been on a course of iron tablets, and while these have helped, I seriously doubt that my iron level's been low for a few years, so we'll ignore them.

Now for the race report ...

• Hurrah! Well done Clag! image

Bet you're writing a monster report...

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Highland Perthshire Marathon 

Arrived in Aberfeldy on Friday night having rushed home from work. My husband was keen to recce the course in his role as photographer, so we drove around before meeting friends in the pub for dinner - my birthday celebratIon. Having abstained from alcohol for a week, i declined a birthday drink, enjoyed a steak, potatoes and veg, followed by a cup of peppermint tea. Having attempted to carb load since Wednesday lunchtime I had reached saturation point with food in general and despite my best efforts, had failed to reach the target intake and was feeling pretty nauseous! I don't think pre-race nerves were helping this, but I'd given myself a talking to, reminding that I had a choice and if it worried me that much I just shouldn't bother!

Home and in bed by 10.30, the others stayed up in the B & B lounge chatting. I proceeded to be up and down throughout the night peeing! Where all this fluid was coming from beats me! Settled around 2am and was happy to see 6.30 on the clock.

Breakfast was at 7, and I joined a fellow runner, and managed my porridge and a slice of toast. Having registered the night before it was then back to get dressed for running, number on etc. My husband had wisely decided to leave me to it at this time, joining our friends for breakfast. After several more loo stops, I headed down to the assembly field, just in time to see the runners making their way to the start (which was a short walk away). One last pee stop in a nearby field, I discovered that the start was delayed by 15 mins - I later learned that this was due to a shooting party. They didn't want the convoy of Land Rovers getting in amongst the runners. 

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Part 2

More time to panic, I was glad when we assembled in the road. A short time later the horn sounded and we were off! The route profile showed that the first half of the two loop course was gradually uphill. Having been chatting to a guy aiming for sub 4, far more experienced than I, I'd decided to take hs advice and go for 9 min miles, picking up later if feeling good. I caught up with him in the first mile and we chatted for a few miles, splits as follows: 

8:52, 8:49, 8:54, 8:57, 9:04, 9:06, 9:02, 8:56

This was running along country roads as was the course pretty much all the way. When the trees opened the views of the hills were great. 

In Kenmore I saw my husband. He shouted at me to stop blethering and pick the pace up! Continuing on, we were joined by a 100 club runner (on marathon 700 and something!!!) Another chap joined us in the grounds of Taymouth Castle, very picturesque and the only significant hill going up out of the grounds. Words of wisdom were imparted to him: if you want a sub 4, you'd be best being at 3:54 pace at halfway in order to finish in maybe 3:56. That struck a chord with me, so when we got out of the grounds I decided to push on. 

Miles 9-10: 8:52, 8:36

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Part 3

Panic then set in a little. I was now on the downhill section, a gradual descent back to Aberfeldy. My worry was that I'd overcook it and regret it later. However, I was feeling good so went with it. Miles were evenly paced: 8:36, 8:38, 8:38

As I reached the water station just before halfway the marshals wished me Happy Birthday! Turns out my husband had been chatting to them! Saw him again and he took a few more photos. I resisted the urge to pretend I was running the half and continued onto my second loop. 

This is where I began to feel not lonely, I was happy enough, but aware of the fact that I could just as easily be on a training run as there weren't many others around. I passed a lady, wondered if I was doing the right thing, and ran mile 14 in 8:36. Worried I'd regret it later, i then pulled back as I was aware of the slight gradient. Pace was 8:43, 8:43, 8:54, 8:45, 8:39, 8:19, and around this point I saw my husband for the last time before the finish. He was encouraging, aware that I was looking strong and running well.

Into the castle grounds, I clocked 8:59 for the mile with the hill; it was a long, hard slog this time as I was on my own, but by then I knew that unless something dire happened I should make my sub 4 target. On reaching the top I knew that it was slightly downhill so opened the throttle and hammered on home. I'd passed a few folks since halfway and continued to pass a few more. Nobody passed me, and I ran the last 4 miles in 7:47, 8:00, 8:06 and 7:52, the sprint to the finish being 7:29 pace.

During the last mile I suddenly realised that I might make 3:50 ish and was overcome with emotion! I had to fight hard to control my breathing and choke back the tears. I was totally amazed and delighted to cross the line in 3:45:12!

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Part 4

My husband was astounded. He'd been photographing the guy in front as he was chatting to his wife and they were staying in our B&B. I was 9 mins behind him at halfway so he got the shock of his life on realising the runner immediately behind him was me!

Race finished with a medal and every runner got a personalised certificate. Such a great event & so well organised! I'd definitely do either the half or the full again. The marshals were brilliant, so encouraging and the fact that put my own drinks at the water stations was a Godsend!

If ever you get the chance, run this race! You'll love it!

• image Nice one Clag. Great report...and fantastic time.  Now you can have a drink, and kick back and enjoy the severe DOMS for the next few days.

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Almost forgot, thoroughly enjoyed the post-race ceilidh, and testament to how well the plan preps the body, went up Schiehallion (a munro) today without any more aches than normal image

DOMS tomorrow perhaps?  

15West, I enjoyed a couple of ciders lady night. Had one beer tonight and now it's bath and bed. I'm shattered!

• So... you had a nice time then? image

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

What made you think that Literatin? It's the teacher in me! I do enjoy writing a story now and then! image

• Morning all. 6mi for me today. Will be definitely slow as feeling a bit jaded today.

• Oh Clag - you completely and utterly smashed it!!! That pace for those last few miles - wow! image  Really, really chuffed for you.  Hope you're recovering well.

Well done to you 15W too - that's an incredible time to say you started off at MP.  Very naughty to be speeding up in second half but I'd imagine it was a great confidence boost for you?

I had a really enjoyable race at the Yorkshireman yesterday.  Was an incredibly tough route (15 miles all off-road, lots on open moors, cattle grids, gates, stiles etc.). Oh and bloody massive hills!  SPent some time stopping and chatting at both aid stations and chatted to runners around me.  Pushed a bit more in the second half as I knew I was on for a good time.  Was aiming for about 2:35 but came home in 2:23, 86th out of 250 runners image.  Lovely bright tech t-shirt at the finish, with corned beef hash, big hunks of bread and every type of cake you can imagine - I highly recommend it!

• Nice reprort Clag.

DOMS?

• yeah Clag, how's the legs? Also - watch out for the post marathon blues...best cure is to sign up for another one!

Tiny...well done in that race. Sounds good. Where is it? I like the idea of stopping and chatting!! I also like the idea of a corned beef hash with chunks of bread...beats a cereal bar and some dodgy sports drink any day.

• Delurk!

Well done Clag an awesome race, and a fantastic report, congratulationsimage 

• HeOw - my running has been off since the end of June. I've struggled to do the long runs becoming absolutely knackered from 10 miles onwards and my pace - particularly MP - has gone out of the window! Went for blood tests back in July and have a phone appointment to speak to the doctor about my results next week....! I'm planning on sticking to shorter stuff for the next few months and maybe a marathon in 2015. I need to get faster first. image

Well done Clag! image And 15W! image And Tiny! image