P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• I've now got used to the idea of DNSing my autumn marathon. The disappointment has been secondary to the misery of not being able to run at all. 

I think I must actually enjoy running - easily forgotten when pushing hard on the P&D!

I've tried running a few times, but only now feel ready to start the 5week 55-70 recovery mesocycle. I think I might have had a deep calf strain/ soleus tear...something like that.

I've bought some Compressport calf guards and wear them to run and for recovery after. Previously sceptical, I find that they do help.

Hope you are all having better luck with your campaigns. See you in the P&D Spring threadimage

• Morning all. For the 2 above who aren't able to run autumn marathons I hope you both can fully recover and get some good base miles in over the winter and then run a storming spring marathon next year image

The belt experiment didn't go well - if i do carry anything it will be the camelbak but I'm hoping it won 't be too hot.

Full of taper madness niggles this morning but doing my best to ignore them image Off out for easy 5 to hopefully make me feel better

• Ryan - get some paper cups and practice. I think technique is to squeeze so in a v shaped spout type shape. Good luck with the rest of the taper...going to do any carb loading?

Andrews/acp - good luck with those recoveries. Andrews - maybe you should take something else up until injury completely gone?

Shazmo - good luck with the bum cheek niggle. Any pics?

• Ryan - I've heard that too about putting the cups into a V shape. And I get all sorts of phantom ailments during taper - it will all come good on the day.

Glad you're feeling positive ACP, and good news that the iron levels are improving. That's one thing I need to be aware of, being a woman and all that.

Photos? For you, 15W, anythingimage
  • I'm going to follow the same plan as Brighton - 7/8g of carbs per kg of body weight the day before the marathon. It's difficult to do without overeating - you need to use juice or lucozade etc to get them all in without feeling like a massive lump!!

Feel better after my little run. 2-10 shifts today and tomorrow then off for a few days 

• And I shall try the V shape thing tomorrow - thanks image

• I was just out on my 14mi run and I got stopped by SusTrans for a survey about my journey today.

• 8 miles for me tonight including hill sprints - tough session! Looking forward to camping at Great Langdale over the weekend.  Hope it warms up a bit though image

• acp - glad you've finally got those results and that the iron tablets are helping.

andrews - take it easy, but glad you seem to be improving too. But take it easy (that goes for acp too).

As for me, I keep getting asked if I'm doing Robin Hood marathon now all the road closure warning signs have gone up around town. Then I say I am doing the half and everyone looks deeply unimpressed. Was much better last year when the full mara wasn't on and people were willing to be amazed by anyone doing a half marathon.

• Good luck with the half marathon Lit. I'm sure everybody will be super impressed by the time you do it in! image

• haha, non-runners just go 'well done for finishing!'

• That's why I like these forums - at least people have a better idea of what's good/not so good! And everybody on here will be impressed! image

• Hello everyone,

Had a massage this morning which was good but highlighted some areas that defo aren't fully recovered yet so am cutting out the 4 miles I had planned for today and tomorrow as a precaution. In the last week I think that you can't improve fitness etc but a little extra rest may prove valuable.

Getting nervous now image

• Yeah - any runs in the last few days are just to relieve any pent up stess and anxiety I think. It's all about taking it easy and staying healthy these last few days. It wasn't a deep muscle type massage was it?

7mi for me today with some sprints. Gto a bit of a niggle in right outside calf at moment...so unsure whether to parkrun on saturday or not.

• It was fairly deep but I always have them on the Thurs before big races with no problems.

I'd make the decision about the Parkrun on the Sat morning and, if there's any doubt, don't run it image

• Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, hope the training pays off and you all get the times that you want.image

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Ryan - very best of luck this weekend!! You'll be great, I'm sure image

• Yeah, good luck Ryan. Don't go silly with the carb loading, don't eat too much fibre tomorrow, don't eat too much the night before, sleep well...etc etc.

And be prepared for the latter miles when your body will be saying to you "PLEASE STOP!"

6mi easy for me today.

• and don't go off too fast...

• Thanks everyone image I'm off work today and don't really have much to do which is nice. I reckon I'll probably spend the day re-reading the race pack and permanently refreshing the met office forecast.

Feeling properly fresh this morning for the first time during the taper so hopefully it's coming good at just the right time. 

• Yeah.... good luck Ryan.  You've given yourself a challenging target... but go for it. 

Forecast looks good.

• Won't have any internet access until Monday now so just wanted to wish you luck Ryan.  Can't wait to see how you did.  Emjoy!  Have a great weekend everyone else image 

• Shazmo - I feel I'm getting a reputation here.  Well done on the Boston place and enjoy your spring marathons!  Have you got a golf/tennis ball to sit on yet?

Good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend and hope all those niggles settle.

I was thinking I might go for a run on Sunday - maybe 5 minutes image What do people think?

• Make sure you take some water with you Fiona, going to be a hot one.

My chester race pack arrived today. Woohoo etc.

• Hi folks thought I would pop by and see how you are all fairing - pretty good by the looks of it. Has Taper madness set in yet image

15w I too got my Chester race pack today - ouch that hurt a little. I will however be there as a spectator rather then a runner and will be cheering madly no doubt.

Fiona, I too will be trying a 5 min run this weekend scary prospect, tried a few weeks ago as suggested by physio and got up to 10 mins before by tibia started reacting again image

On the plus side I am now a member of a tri-club, I can swim front crawl, I own swimming aids such as fins, kickboard and a pullbouy image and I can also ride a road bike and change gears!! To top it all off I have just purchased a wetsuit and tri suit and have decided rather stupidly (I fear) to aim for a HIM next year image. Hopefully my body will not object too much and like the variety of training rather then just focusing on the running. Just need to get through Autumn/Winter marathon training hopefully injury free in prep for Brighton before the Tri season starts again.

• Hello Lisa. Sounds like you are doing ok. What is HIM - Half Iron Man?

• Best of luck Ryan, will be logging in on Sunday to see how you did.

Doing Richmond half marathon on Sunday, but doing it at MP and this time i'm going to be disciplined! Then the taper image

• Morning all - sorry to be posting so much but I'm getting very fidgety after not running for a couple of days and my wife (who doesn't run) is bored stupid with hearing about how various body parts are hurting/tight/recovered/feeling good! Everything feels pretty good this morning legs-wise but my brain is full of taper worries!

During carb loading research I discovered today that  Coppela apple juice has more carbohydrate per 100ml than lucozade sport (10g vs 8g) and tastes much better. I'll keep the Lucozade for afterwards image

• In fact, it's 10g vs 6g for carb per 100ml in the Apple Juice vs Lucozade sport debate