P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• ChomskiChomski ✭✭✭

I know. My first time with P&D, I hope those guys know what they are doing!

Not sure about carb loading. I've never gone overboard before my last marathons. Just took on gels and/or sports drinks when available. They saw me through. Although I'm hoping to go sub 3:30 for the first time so maybe I need to get on the pasta train for the next three days. In summary, I have no idea!!!

• Do what you did last time, 15W, seems to have worked.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Better get some malt loaf and beet-shots then.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Ooooh, I'm getting excited for you Chester lot (is there anything else this weekend - I've lost our list).

15w, yeah, business as usual I'd say for the carb loading. It seems to have worked for you in the past.

My legs are getting back to normal after my mountainous jaunt. Even managed a little jog last night. Need to get back on it soon though, as I have Dublin in 3.5 weeks.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

I felt like sh!t the day before London this year, not sure if that was the diet or just stress/nerves or what?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. People giving up on this thread?! Rest day for me today. 2 days till chester. Bit nervous.

• I'm still here! 10 miles at MP for me tonight.  Hoping to get it done before it goes dark so I can use the canal towpath one last time before winter well and truly descends.

Hang on in there 15W.  THe niggles faded yet?

• I've not really given up on the thread.  I'm a bit of a fraud on here anyway...  as said before, I've got the P&D book, and it's been my only source of inspiration for training.  But it would be a big lie to say I've followed it to the letter, or even to the word, sentence, paragraph or page.  

But I've read and re-read the book, and my running has been guided by it.

As you know from the other thread...  in 2 days and 9 minutes... it starts to pay off. Hopefully.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Two days to go! The forecast looks awesome! Yes 15W it might end up a bit on the warm side but just think how awful the weather can be sometimes. I will take dry and low wind any day.

Managed to offend the wife by asking her not to come too close as she has a cold! Ooops. Not really sure how you ask someone nicely to stay away!

The legs are feeling good after the taper so will have to try really hard to be sensible in the last two runs...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes, Phil...could be a lot worse. Nice for supporters too. Infact nights will probably be chilly so 9am start should be pretty good.

Got work lunch and meetings today and loads of them are full of illness. Might wear a face mask.

Still got my niggles. Don't think they're going. The biggest worry is my outside calf on right leg, bit tight and sore for a while now...would load up on ibuprofen before the race but you're not supposed to these days...maybe paracetamol.

• Best of Luck 15West, Phil and Runny Knows
    looks like you have the training put in so hopefully you can enjoy Sunday.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Will be check here on Sunday night to see how you did, really hope ye smash it.

Did 8miles last night with 3 x 1600's in the middle at the track, last speed session.
    Just a gentle 4 miler later.

• I am here, just not running.  Hope everything goes well for everybody racing at the weekend.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Debutant - Thanks for asking.  I'm racing Chester on Sunday.  I'll be travelling tomorrow and won't be looking at the forum until after the race.  Best of luck to all those racing at the weekend.

• Good luck to all that are racing this weekend, I'm looking forward to all the reports image

• Good luck with Chester everyone, hope those niggles don't affect your race 15W. 12 miles today, really couldn't be arsed and my sodding Garmin malfunctioned and recorded the 12 miles as 10!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks all. Feeling nicely bloated at the moment. Blurgh.

• Good luck all! Glad I don't have to run a whole marathon.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I might only run half...like Mo.

• 10 miles at MP pace done and dusted.  Ran it a bit too fast though.....can definitely tell I've started the taper!  Need to tone it down a bit and stick to the required paces.  Must.....trust.....the plan.

Lots of luck to all of you racing this weekend, can't wait to hear how you all got on.  Enjoy it!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Enjoy it?

ENJOY IT?

It isn't supposed to be fun you know Tiny.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Oooh, so excited for all you lot who are running on Sunday.

Im attempting a 20 miler tomorrow (first proper run since my mountain marathon last weekend) and then I'm out on the pop again, so might not get chance to say.......a massive GOOD LUCK to you all! image
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭

Just popped in to check up on progress. 

Congratulations to Stuart C on the marathon PB. Not done Loch Ness but know many who have. You'll get sub-4 on a flatter course if you do the same training. Very well done! image

Good luck to everyone this weekend. 15W - you're awesome in training, you'll be great!!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. Will be signing off here till tomorrow sometime...although could update from phone. Good luck Phil, Runny Knows and SGB (is that it?), and anyone else racing tomorrow. Bit nervous here...have had many interesting trips to the toilets. Carb deloading I guess. You'd think an old hand like me wouldn't get nervous...but I'm cacking it. Why do we do this to ourselves?

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

I'm doing Chester too.  A bit apprehensive. 

• Interestingly (TMI alert) too many carbs tend to make me constipated rather than the opposite like 15W. Anyway, that doesn't apply to me now, as I am not running Chester, but good luck to everyone who is. It's you lot (above) and also HeOw.

• Hope all you Chester runners are feeling good and ready to go, best of luck!
  • Anyone else using the online stalker - oops, sorry, I meant tracker - thing? I have only managed to find three of our runners and the bastard site just kept me in suspense for about 10 minutes of thinking 'FFS (insert name of stalkee) there is NO WAY you haven't run 10k yet' before popping up with a chirpy message about how there was a delay with getting some of the 10k splits up. Grr.

• And also... split time for half appeared before the 20k one so I'd been worrying about another of our runners too when he wasn't at 20k on time. But he seems to be doing okay now. image

• Any update on how the boys did today?

• I know how some of them did. But can't post till they do. You might like to take a look at the tracking page on the Chester marathon site though.