P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Ah but you are faster and lighter than me, and you dont run like a cart horse ! the kinvaras will suit you, unless they had anything to do with your sprained ankle ? theres not much support if you are clumsy

• Ah. Well, I was wearing them when it happened, but I can't remember how I sprained it as I was unconscious at the time, having passed out while still running 12 miles into a half marathon. I think I must have turned the ankle when someone dragged me off the course, preventing me from falling in the river and drowning. image

Would have been a massive PB too.

• You'll come back stronger lit and smash that PB! Just don't run the next race near a river.

• I've got some Kinvara's and I always feel a real fraud when I wear them! I imagine people looking at them thinking 'she must be fast!' and then I trundle along at a snail's pace! But they definitely make me feel like I can run faster!image

On the subject of adapting P&D, I did a hybrid of the upto 55 miles and 55 to 70 mile plans. I did longer long runs off the back off a pretty solid base of regular 16 milers, and I did MLR's of 11 miles not the 9 mile GA's in the lower mileage plan. I still think the MLR's are the key to P&D success so I wouldn't be messing around with them!

• Nice to hear from you NN, glad to hear you're back up and running.

Going to be a great comeback Lit, can't wait to see it unfold image.  Good advice from velloo about avoiding races near a river though.

Today will probably be the last day I'll be about on the threads so just wanted to say thanks very much to you all.  A marathon is a pretty big deal to even the most experienced of runners so as a relative newbie your advice has been invaluable.  You're a good bunch image.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

GOOD LUCK TINY!

Don't go off too fast. Dig deep at mile 20.

• ^what he said. GOOD LUCK and don't go off too slow either. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Does Yorkshire marathon do tracking?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh...and Tiny...my sister lives in York in Osbaldwick so she will be out supporting towards the end of race. She looks like me, only a bit more feminine and uglier. I'll tell her to look out for someone tiny.

• Ha, cheers 15W.  If I see someone of that description I'll be sure to point and shout "It's 15W's sister!!". 

Yeah I think they have a live tracker.  Website is www.racetimingsystems.net   

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Aaaaw, GOOD LUCK Tiny! I can't tell you how excited I am for you!

Just relax, stick to your plan, don't go too fast too soon. It's just another MP training run.

Sorry but I've forgotten what time are you aiming for? Or are you just wanting to get round. Either way, you will breeze it, I'm sure.
  • Cheers Shazmo.  Obviously I'll be chuffed just to finish (bronze target) but silver target is sub-4 and the "all singing, all dancing, icing on the cake, cherry on top" gold target is 3:45.  Whatever happens, I'm just going to enjoy it and soak up the atmosphere.  Even when the pain kicks in, I'll think to myself "but I'm running a marathon - look at me - a bloody marathon!" 

I'm supposed to be working but I just can't focus on anything.  FUll to the brim with nervous excitement image.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok Tiny...need your race number too...

• Coming back from injury; mileage going up, pain going down! image

I'll be back up to 50mpw by next week, then base building through November and starting P&D 18 55-70 on December 8th.

A guilt-free beer tastes so much better!

Bring the VMLM.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok. Good luck again Tiny. Try and get as much rest as poss between now and sunday.

• Good luck Tiny (and hello Andrew).  Two excited people (or should that be 'too excited people'?)

• Good luck Tiny, not been following thread till now, which marathon are you doing ?

rest and carbs for you image

I am going to watch my son run Abingdon

ACP ...Back on the subject of kinvaras, I bought them towards the end of marathon training early this year and had 2 really good races in them a 10 miler and a half, it was doing a long run of 22 in them that was the finish of me, I didnt realise till a physio pointed out that I underpronate on the right foot, hence running on the outside of my foot caused the agrivation which my usual asics 2000 correct

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Hi NN - I'm no expert, but I always thought if you UNDER pronate you need neutral/cushioning shoes Asics 2000 are mild support for over pronation, aren't they?

Good to see you're back on track Andrews.

Tiny, based on your training times and my own limited experience, I think you'll exceed your Gold target. On my first marathon I had a vague training plan, did no MP runs and expected around 4.15 (got 3.59). Second marathon, I mostly followed the P+D (substituted recovery runs for x training). I aimed for sub 3.50 and got 3.39. You've followed the plan, your training paces are quicker then mine (from what I remember), I think you'll easily get under 3.45, dare I say close to 3.30.

You are stepping into the unknown, but you KNOW that you can run X miles, at X pace - just go out on your 'special training run' on Sunday full of confidence.

I would say, if you're feeling relaxed go for it in a controlled manner. But don't risk blowing up for the sake of getting a sub 3.30 time....that can come another day....hope that makes sense.
  • Shazmo you crazy lady you are seriously over estimating my ability!!  If I can crack 3:45 I will be absolutely over the moon.  Going to start off slowly and the keep at 8:30ish pace for as long as I can.  If I get to 20 miles and feel good I might try and crank it up a little but something tells me I'll just be hanging on by that point. 

NN - York mara for me. Best of luck to your son for Abingdon - if I remember rightly he's incredibly speedy isn't he?

• Tiny - best of luck

i am depressed of all this talk of running following injury. Why are you all healing so fast. imageimage

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm having a senior moment, Tiny and thinking your MPR training pace was way quicker than mine. When I was training for sub 3.50, (8.46mm) I did most of my LSRs at that pace or quicker cos it felt comfortable. Instead of cruising on race day I took a gamble and set off at 8.22mm, hung on in and had a suffer fest over the last few miles. I only took the risk cos it wasn't my first marathon, and I thought, what the hell. I guess what I'm saying is, if you feel good you could nudge under your target pace slightly, but don't go crazy if it looks (early on) that a much faster time is on the cards as you might pay for it towards the end and not enjoy.
  • Definitely having a senior moment SHazmo - I ran most of my LSR at about 9:30 - 10:00 pace!  Did a 20 mile race on tired legs that averaged out at 8:23 pace though so I know I have the ability for 3:45.  

Healing vibes coming your way Fiona.

Right, must concentrate and do some work..........

• er.....  20 miles on tired legs at 8.23?   And you're now presumably in slightly better shape still. And fully tapered.  Hmmmmm.

If the extra training and (particularly) the rest can carry you another 6.22 miles at that pace, you'll just sneak a  under the 3:40 barrier...  and a time of 3:3x:xx would be fantastic.

If, as you proposed earlier, you do the first 20 miles at 8:30, then try to crank it up...  that's fine, but in those 20 miles you'll have lost 140 seconds against the 3:40 pace and would need to do the last 6.22 miles at a pace of 8:02 to get back to it. Which you're very unlikely to achieve IMO. 

It's up to you entirely, so don't blame me if this is bad advice... but if I were you, I'd be setting off at 8:23 pace for those first 20 miles.... and re-evaluate when you get there. Either hang on for ultimate glory... or let the pace slip a bit if absolutely necessary... but you'd be (almost) sure to break 3:50 even if you've to slow down a lot, and pretty certain to get 3:45 and at least you'll have given yourself a shot at sub 3:40

Good luck!!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm with Runny Knows...8.23 pace (ease into that pace over first mile)...but when you get to mile 20 forget that pace slipping business...dig in, hold that pace...pick it up in last mile... and sprint home to a glorious finish. Then have a cry and a puke.

• Shazmo, thats what I thought but never had any problems with the 2000s till I got the kinvaras, and now back with the 2000s things are fine..image but according to fizz that was the problem

Tiny, depends what you call speedy, he is a fairly new runner and does 1.30 for a half its his first marathon.....is York a decent course for a reasonable time ? looks like you train similar miles/time as me, so yes sub 3.45 is possible for you, have your own race plan and stick to it

Fiona whats wrong ? injured ?

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Runny - that's exactly what I did on my last marathon....knew I could cruise a 3.50 so went out at 8.22mm to risk a sub 3.40. I was hanging on for grim death from about 22 miles, hurt like feck! Hence a was trying to talk Tiny out of this strategy as it is her first marathon and might scar her for life. But only you can decide, oh a Tiny one!!

Good luck once again!

Hmm, that's strange NN. If anything the 2000s should be forcing your foot even further over onto the outside as their job is to stop over pronators rolling in. Suppose if they feel ok though, that's the main thing.

Chin up Fiona. You're still a WR holder!
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Good luck Tiny! It sounds like you are extremely well prepared.

First race since my marathon for me tomorrow - 6 miles cross country through a muddy park. That should give me an idea of how the recovery is going. What would P&D say - racing two weeks after a marathon!

• They would smack your legs Phil! Good luck anyway, the weather looks awful everywhere.