Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Morning all image

Well, what a day!  Feel great today, legs a little achy but managing the stairs nicely.  No doubt will be slammed with doms tomorrow.  Going to post a proper race report later but just thought I'd drop in with a quick update image.

Absolutely loved the race yesterday.  Read the advice on here over the last couple of days and decided to commit to 8:23 pace right from the off.  I actually went a bit quicker than that.  But then I sped up.  And continued to speed up!  Last 3 and a bit miles were the fastest of the lot, and the last .27 was run at 6:00minute miles!  Here's a link to the garmin stats

I'm so, so glad Lit advised me to use the P&D scheduled.  It worked an absolute treat and I'm so, so pleased that all the hard work paid off.  Good for Age for VLM 2015 secured and it seems I also have myself a Boston qualifier! Anyone want to give me a couple of grand?! image 

• Options

Sorry a bit of a belated race report

Just got back from America yesterday, Chicago marathon was fab

It was my 6th and by far my best as everything when to plan, which doesn’t happen too often in marathons. I followed P&D 55/70 mile 18 weeks programme. Stuck to the plan pretty much, think I missed about 10 days in total and most of those were recovery runs, think I missed about 3 key sessions in total. I did do a marathon 5 weeks before race day as a training run instead of the long run.

At the Marathon expo I met Bart Yasso and had a brief conversation with him he advised me to tuck in behind the 3:10 pacers, not run with them but about 20-30yards behind them.

Race morning was perfect

Nice and cool to start with and the starting corrals (Pens) are all on you submitted recent marathon times, so no slow coaches or people walking after 5 miles etc
    I was corral B and was across the start line 40secs after the gun, tucked in behind the pacers for the first 4 miles then I noticed that I had pulled just ahead of them but didn’t mind too much, crossed half way at 1:34:11 which was pretty much according to plan. I felt good at this stage and continued to tick of the miles at 7:10 pace so every mile I was ‘storing’ 5 secs in the bank. Got to mile 20 (meant to be the favourite part of the race for P&Ders!) I considering upping the pace a wee bit as I had a little bit in me. But I started to pass more and more 3:05 and 3:00 runners (lots of runners in the Chicago marathon wore the pace they were aiming for on a BIB on their backs) who had blown up.
    So it was a good reminder to stick to the plan, at mile 23 I was working a good bit harder to maintain my pace so I was glad I hadn’t upped the pace at mile 20 as it could have cost me. It was also getting fairly hot as well but At this stage I knew I had 90secs or so to spare. Crossed the finish line in 3:08:46
    Delighted, hopefully that will get me into Boston in 2015

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

My views on P&D training plan
    Worked really well for me, but I must admit I wasn’t that confident going into the marathon as I had completed fewer races in the training programme than in previous marathons so I didn’t have a good gauge of where I was.
    I had done less MP miles which was also a concern. But at mile 20 in the race I did feel reasonably comfortable which I had never done before in my previous marathons.
    Will follow P&D plan for my next marathon

• Options

Wow Tiny
    Excellent running and what a finish

Well done

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Tiny/ Debutants - Thanks for the reports and fantastically well done to both. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Tiny. Bit disappointed you are able to walk downstairs...obviously didn't try hard enough. That is a great negative split though...and now you have sub 3.30 in your sights for next time (which is?).

Debutant - nice report...I like the paragraph written in html.

I was thinking of the GFA ballot for New York next year...then I looked at how much it all might cost.

Today is a lovely reminder of how winter training goes. Wet and muddy.

• Options

This thread has had some real success stories in the last 3 weeks.  Is it the same on other marathon training  threads?

Great reports from Tiny (who was a debutant)  and from Debutant (who ironically, was not).

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

but who maybe is tiny?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Who's next then?

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Tiny and Debutant fantastic running to you both imageimageimage.

Pleased to report that I am now back to running, long run of wait for it....6.5 miles completed at the weekend. This was after a tough swim session and before a 26 mile cycle ride though image.

Am planning on building up my base before embarking on Brighton Marathon training in Dec. After Brighton I have decided to commit to triathlons next Summer with a couple of 10k's thrown into the mix.

• Options

Hurrah! That's great news Lisa. I too managed my first proper post-inury run this morning. In the dark. And also rain. Only 5.23 miles for me but it felt pretty good to be doing something energetic outside after three weeks of vegetating with a sprained ankle.

Pleasing to be reminded that it was all my idea for Tiny to use the P&D schedule. image

And good report from Debutant, even if we had to wait aaaaaaages for it. image

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Seems to be a great Monday all round!

Well done Tiny! Our target times were about 25 mins apart and we almost met in the middle. You must have enjoyed all that overtaking you did?

Great run Debutant. It takes courage to set off at a slightly fast-feeling pace and maintain it for 26 miles.

My opinion of P&D is that the up to 55 mile plan doesn't give you enough 20 mile + runs (only 3.) I am doing the 55 to 70 mile plan next time. A colleague of mine did a 2:46 marathon on this plan!

• Options

Tiny....wow wow wow !!! awesome bloody well done misses !!

Debutant you too fantastic running and all goes to show P&D is the way to go.

I went to support my son at Abingdon..A really exciting race to watch, near perfect conditions oh I wished I was running !..I plodded around 10 miles watching the race at various points and seeing my son at mile 5 in about 37 mins (bit fast me thinks )  ..  before grabbing a shower in time to see the winner...2.26 !!..the first lady came into the stadium at 2.58 ish..and we were screaming at her to get under the 3 hours..wow so.close !! her chip time was 3.00.01 !!! fabulous but gutting !!!

My son ran 3.32 a brilliant time for a first marathon off little training ( max of 30 miles a week ) but I think he has learned to hard way marathons arent to be taken lightly.....you need lots of long SLOW runs.

Anyway after that I couldnt wait to come home and start thinking about some nice long runs in prep for VLM training, so woke up full of excitment , looked out the window to see sheets of rain and blowing a gale...undetered, trainers on, jacket on out the door 15.5 hilly disgusting wet and windy lovely miles in 2.32..bring on the winter marathon training ....again !!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

My lovely running trails have turned into a bog.

• Options

Have you been eating that curry again 15W?

Well done to NN jr. image

• Options

Great report Debutant!  And congrats to NN junior image

My race report

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Nice report Tiny...and well done again. Very, very impressive.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

and I'm now following you on twatter...

• Options

twatter is ace image.  I must confess it took me about three months to learn how to use it though.......

• Options

f*ck it, I'm going to follow you both on twatter. I still don't really use it though was made to join before it was popular (get me). But my sis met her boyfriend on there so it must be good for something.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Oh feck, twatter too, I can't cope . I have an an account for celeb/famous athlete following, that's all. 15W, can't you just come to the dark side of FaceTube and make life simpler image

Loving the race reports both of you. Hope you didn't gamble your house away in Vegas, Debutantimage . I went a couple of years ago and didn't gamble a cent.
  • Options

Debutant, well done loved the race reportimage

Tiny, amazing time well done really enjoyed reading the blog entry image

• Options

Well done Tiny! image

I can't imagine ever enjoying running a marathon as much as you seemed to! image

• Options

Came on here to see how Tiny's race went - great time and amazing splits - big congratulations! image

• Options

Thanks all image.  Not really sure I ever want to do another marathon.....purely because I don't think any other marathon experience can top Sunday!  I know I worked hard for it but I also think I had luck on my side and everything went 'just so'.  Don't think anything else will come close.

My brother came to support me at the race (he joined the same club as me about 6 months after I started running) and he has been inspired and just signed up for the Manchester marathon next spring.  Can't wait to reverse roles and cheer him on, really proud of him for going for it image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

But Tiny...what about sub 3.30....and then onwards and upwards to sub 3,15 and bag yourself a champs start at VLM. None of this GFA nonsense.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

I agree with 15W. Your marathon career has just started. You are obviously not short of natural stamina. In a few years there could be reports about you like this: http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/speedy-stepto-continues-to-impress/

• Options

Tiny, you cant stop now !! great report very well done again..inspirational image

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Tiny - I agree with 15, Phil and NN.  I can it will be hard to top Sunday, but it would be a shame to give up now.  It is important to rest now and for some time.  Rest doesn't mean no running, it means following the recovery mesocycle.

I'm getting a bit too active following Chester (which was 06/10), with some intervals tonight and an XC race planned for Saturday, plus more intervals next week.

Thanks from me too for the report.

• Options

I wondered if my first marathon last year, in my late forties, would be my one and only... it really was exhilerating...  I felt that I flew the last 5 miles.. and although I missed 4hrs by half a minute... it didn't matter - it couldn't have been better.

But... just like you were tantalisingly close to 3-30....  I just HAD to have another go, hence Chester  - and an even more exhilerating race.  and 14 minutes off my previous time, now has be thinking about breaking  3-40 next time out!

I guess I'll hit an injury or a wall one day, and then that will knock the annoying smile off my face... but for now, I just gotta say that your first should not be your last!

• Options

Morning everyone - still grinning image

THanks for the lovely comments.  I think I'm going to spend 2014 sorting out my poor half and 10k times.  Then I think the time to aim for that 3:30 will be in London 2015, using my GFA place image.  THis might all change, as everything still feels so raw yet (in a good way).  But I do know that I definitely won't be marthoning in spring 2014.  Marathon training took over a large part of my life and I'm looking forward to spending a bit more time with friends and family.  I know it doesn't have to be that way, but for me, if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it properly.  None of this half arsed stuff.

Thoughts on P&D - quite simply, it rules.  I would absolutely use this schedule again for my next mara.  It's challenging, but not impossible which I think is perfect if you want to achieve your full potential.  I can see how a lot of people will suffer injuries though.......

Next time I want to do more core work alongside it. I set out with all the best intentions, but I think (like most of us), this fell along the wayside as the running took over.

Right, who's racing next then?  Is it Velloo in Nice up next?