P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Know what you mean aboout it taking over your life. Thinking of knocking it on the head myself after VLM next spring.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Wow, just been reading through the thread, and it really sounds like P&D can do things for your running...  I've had a slow and steady natural improvement over a few years, and have just done Kielder marathon, loving every minute of it, but according to race calculators, I'm capable of a much better marathon time than I got at Kielder (ok, it's not the easiest one, but still.), so I'm thinking of giving P&D a go now for Edinburgh next year.  Hope no-one minds me peeking in, I have been really impressed by some of your successes here.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Madbee - someone will eventually set up a new thread for P&D training for spring marathons...so, get the book and get on board.

• A quick look back at the thread tells me that Shazmo is up next.  Where are you Shazmo?  How are you feeling?  I believe there is a tracker for Dublin marathon.  Could you please divulge your number so we can stalk? image

Welcome Madbee - P&D is definitely the way to go.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Despite saying only 1 marathon next year (VLM) I am already toying with the idea of trying to get a place at York in the Autumn...

Shazmo/Velloo - where are you? (that rhymes).

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

I am toying with the idea of doing both Manchester and Liverpool next year. Liverpool is at the end of May and if I do that as my target then the Manchester marathon coincides with the 22 mile training run. £45 is quite a lot for a training run but I just love the big race atmosphere.

This means I don't need to start P&D again until mid Jan!

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    I'm here! Feeling stressed - I have started my first full time job in over 15 years this week, very busy at home and it is a major shock to the system. Plus I'm feeling unwell today so I'm hoping it's not the start of a cold.

I don't actually know my race number. I go to Dublin tomorrow and collect it some time over the weekend. In any case, I wouldn't bother stalking me cos this trip is a social one and I'm doing this race for the 'fun' of collecting a t shirt and medal so I could be some time. I would like to skim under 4 hours though, but after a weekend on the pi55 and a lack of specific road training, it might be a big ask. We'll see. I will keep you updated but meantime, please pray for meimage
  • Hi! Taper has started at last! 

Hope you have a great time in Dublin Shazmo. Have you done any 'running with a hellish hangover' training? I'm quite experienced at that...

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Haha yes, Velloo, I have. Good job I'm well practiced! Enjoy the taper madness.
  • I'm praying, Shazmo image.

Enjoy the taper velloo!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Dublin today. Good luck Shazmo. Wonder what the weather conditions are like there - I expect not too bad. Up here in Mancester it's just like any other morning. Wet.

• First 10k done, steady away.  I know she's not racing it but it will be a very easy sub-4 for her I'm sure image

• Nice one Shazmo image. Easy peasy for you image

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

15W - What's wrong with Chester?  Do you prefer variety?

• Clearly doesn't care about variety if he wants to do that London one again...

Well done Shazmo!

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Eeeh, a good but eventful day at Dublin Marathon. Garmin failed as I crossed the start line so had to guess pace/time the whole way, so just did a nice steady run. Even managed to stop for wee-wees, hugs with friends, bumped into another Manx runner and walked up the hills but thoroughly enjoyed running for 'fun' with no time pressures. Finished in 3.51, so no PB, but I'm very pleased as I have felt so under prepared and weary after my fell ultra. Time for a nice hot bath, put my glad rags on and tear up the townimage

Sorry it's brief - I'm off out on the pop shortly. Thanks for thinking of me folks image
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Shazmo. What was the weather like? Windy?

SGB - well , never say never. I am still probably not autumn marathoning, but I have relatives in York so if was going to do one I may do that...but I will need to decide on that one in january as it will probably sell out straight away again. I am doing London again as this year will probably have family with me....last year I went down on my own. Plus, with GFA entry is easy, and for the price london is pretty blooming awesome in my opnion.

Enjoying my running at the moment despite the stupid weather. Running garmim free, slowly building up the mileage (at about 40mi/wk at moment). It's nice not to have to worry about pace etc, but just run as fast and far as I feel like running. The weather is killing my trainers though.

• Dublin's on my 'maybe list' for next year.... what do you reckon Shazmo?

Tell me when you've sobered up.

• So pleased you enjoyed it Shazmo image.  I know the splits on the tracker are only every 10k but they were very even considering you didn't have a garmin.  Excellent stuff.  Hope you had a good night on the pop image.

FIrst post-marathon run done last night and it was absolutely awful image.  Everything has just tightened up but think I've done something to my foot at the mara.  Going to have to bite the bullet and see a fizz I think.  Might do some strength training in the mean time to stop me going berserk.

• Well done Shazmo, sounds like a really enjoyable marathon, hope the hangover is not too bad

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Tiny - you probably just need more time to recover from your marathon. Takes about 4 weeks to fully recover...although some people recover quicker than others. So...just run slow and short...and take it easy, do something else maybe? Walking/cycling/swimming?

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Well done Shazmo on a great training run. I plan to do something similar at the Manchester marathon.

Having a chesty cough is forcing me to do some proper marathon recovery image I haven't run since Saturday and am going crazy! On my Parkrun on Saturday I was wheezing like an old man and was some way off a PB. Luckily for me they seem to have lost half the results including mine!

Just starting Hal Higdon's Advanced Half Marathon schedule in prepation for the Four Villages Half. It is so easy compared to P&D that I will be putting in extra miles all over the place.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Hope the foot sorts itself out Tiny and you're bound to feel 'not right' for a while yet. And don't be running with a bad chest, Phil R.

I'm back home now with a serious hangover! Legs don't feel as bad as they usually do post-marathon which is a bonus. I spotted the fairly even stats too, Tiny. Not bad guess work on my part image

Dublin marathon was well organised, route was pleasant - out through suburbs and local parks so there was plenty of crowd support, especially at the city centre finish. It was a little congested at times despite there being three start waves. Nice finishers tech t shirt and medal. Dulin is a fairly small city for a capital, it's nothing to write home about but made for an enjoyable long weekend, bits and bobs of culture, shopping, night life etc.

15W, the weather was very sunny which made me hot, but there was also a fairly strong wind to cool us down - although this was a head wind at times.

I'm having a few weeks off 'serious' running until P&D training starts for VLM/Boston. Looking forward to having a routine - although how I will find it now I'm working full time, I don't know!
  • Well done Shazmo! Enjoy your weeks off, they are well deserved.

Phil - it's rest and hot toddies for you not parkruns!

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Hot toddies! Had to Google that one. Sounds intriguing (if not especially good for you!)

• Just declaring a change of identity on this, one of my main threads.

Runny Knows seemed like a half-decent pun as I had a cold at the time I chose it...  but it just looked a bit Know-it-all sort of identity.  image  So... it's history.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Aaah, you had me foxed earlier, Nose (aka Runny)!!
  • ya I think I need a change of identity too after 6 marathons.
    Well done Shazmo I ran 16miles of the Dublin marathon supporting a friend, conditions were good but a bit of a blustery wind.

First post marathon interval session at the track last night was tough. Have Gosport half in 3 weeks time which i'm hoping to have a crack at beating my PB 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry for garecrashing your thread here, however I need to start getting my head around effective marathon training and was hoping one of the resident experts here might assist.

I Have a place at VLM and trying to decide on a programme to follow instead of just making my own thing up. I have not run a marathon before. Plenty of halfs and 10ks and just general mileage of 40-50 a week with quality sessions.

I enjoy my intervals etc and I understand from another thread that p and d incorporates weekly speed sessions. Certainly up until xmas i have a few 10 and 5k goals for the year not achieved so do not want to completely change my training. I am currently just trying to build my long run to 20 miles by the end of the year then start with a  programme.

Would p and d suit me? My only concern is i seem to keep picking up niggles nd someone has said if you are not partially bullet proof then its a tough schedule??

Hopefully someone can give me a pointer??