P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have just put together my first six week cycle, ready to take home and negotiate with the Wifeimage. She should be happy though as it does represent a genuine reduction in training time, even with me playing with it a little. I am starting 25th November so 2 weeks early simply because i lose two blocks of 4 days end of feb and end March with a stag weekend and wedding. Plus weather/injury may cause an issue.

What part of Lanzarote do you go to 15 west?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

It will be Costa Teguise...only reason is hotel we stayed at last time was so good in terms of fun stuff for the kid...so we're going back.

• Is there anyone left on this autumn thread with an autumn marathon ahead of them?  The flavour of debate seems to be moving to the spring..

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Velloo in Nice?

• Ah yes.   Just went back to a post in September and found this list.   Hurry up Velloo... we're all waiting for you !  Hope the tapering's going well.  When do you travel? (assuming you don't live there)

Shazmo - Isle of Man Mountain Ultra - Sept 28 sub 10 hrs (no, really) 

StewartC - Baxters Loch Ness Marathon - Sept 29th - Sub 4 Bib Number 570

15West - Chester - Oct 6th sub 2:50    Bib number 1552

Phil R - Chester - Oct 6th 3:20 

Runny Knows (aka  "Nose Nowt")- Chester - Oct 6th sub 3:50 

Debutant - Chicago - Oct 13th 3:10 

TR85 - York - Oct 20th 3:45   Bib number 1858

M.arkF - Strasbourg - Oct 27th - 3:15

Shazmo (again) - Dublin - Oct 28 - to run an evenly paced race, post Ultra 

Velloo - Nice - Nov 10th 3.15

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes I know Costa Teguise. My father in law lives in playa blanca so we tend to try and get out once- twice a year. Not been since feb and not able to get out until May next year. Will be  my first winter in some 7 years without at least one stint there.

What will happen once the Autumn marathons are done, will this thread die off and a new spring marathon thread appear??

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah, Playa Blanca is pretty nice...nicer than Costa Teguise I think...but the hotel rocks our world. I like Lanzarote, like all that volcanic landscape.

Yes, this one will slowly die and a new one will start...if anyone wants to start one feel free...

• I can't be arsed. You do it, 15W. Unless you don't all think it's a bit early? Velloo hasn't run yet.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Let's wait till Velloo is all done...even though he's disappeared from this thread...

• I'm still here! And yes..I'm a lady.

My trip starts tomorrow, going to England for a bit first then off to France on Friday. I've started carb loading early so look like a fat little barrel, it was greed rather than marathon prep that caused this. Taper is going fine, garmin has died so I might risk running blind.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh, terribly sorry Velloo. I forget that sometimes women run too. Good luck anyway, you still going to be online during your travels? Where are you based? If no garmin you going to wear a watch?

• 15W I'm in Edinburgh, don't know how much internet access I'll have in France or in England for that matter as I'll have to do lots of family stuff. If I can't resuscitate the garmin I won't wear a watch, my vague plan is to run with the 3.15 pacers for the first half and if I feel I can push the pace then go ahead. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good plan Velloo. Good luck with that...try and rest up as much as poss in the 24hrs leading up to the race...and be prepared that you will want to slow in the latter part of the race - fight those demons.

Talking of demons, what in earth is that in your picture?

• I don't know, I came across it when I was walking through a wood. It's made from a tree trunk with shells and feathers stuck on. Probably used in scary rural rituals.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Velloo...I thought you were a man too, despite you mentioning a male partner a while ago. And I thought the profile pic was a Womble.

Good luck with the taper chubimage
  • Haha! Do I post like a bloke? 

• This is like the 'brer rabbit' incident all over again.

• Ramjet wrote (see)

It sure feels strange to be talking about training on a training forum image

That workout sounds a bit evil Andrews. Have you tried it?

Yes, if you know what your correct paces are it's a good, tough workout. It makes a change to look forward to the marathon pace part of a run!

• 6 miles easy....

I'm being fattened up like a foie gras goose now I'm at my parents house. I'm trying not to think about the marathon. Conditions look warm, min temp 16 degrees max 20, which will be good for the holiday afterwards.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good luck on the weekend velloo. 

I managed a steady 18 miles this am and it felt surprisinghly comfortable given its two miles further than I have ever run before. Could have kept going. Possibly a bit quick, came out at 8.07 ave pace on a hilly route. Felt quite wiped out mid afternoon. 

I am going to need to find a flatter route for January as I couldn't imagine banging 13 in the middle at mp!  

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Indeed, Brer Rabbit had an identity crisis - well remembered, Lit.

No Velloo, you don't post like a bloke. Rather sexist presumption on my part - with your speediness I assumed you were a chap who had a male partner and I didn't like to ask image (Lit is also super speedy but I could tell from her photo she was female)

Good running DT19 image

• I was thinking about the challenges of being a same sex couple who race, you'd always be competing with each other. Would it be easier to be of similar ability or not? My OH is much faster than me, I try not to run with him as he makes me go too fast, he calls my easy pace 'carpet shuffling'.

Good going DT19 remember the Kenyans sleep most of the day, so an afternoon nap is quite alright.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Feeling a little drained in the legs today from it!

Velloo- Alas, my wife does not share that view unfortunately!

• Pleased to report my foot seems to have sorted itself out because I've been sensible for a change.  Looking forward to getting back into 'proper' training now.  Might have a blast around parkrun tomorrow.

Good luck velloo!  We'll be thinking of you on Sunday image

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Good news on the foot front, Tiny image I wondered how you were getting on.

Yes, good luck Velloo, we'll be rooting for you!

And then we will be saying a fond farewell to our lovely thread image, but we will have a nice shiny new one for spring image

• Thank you! On way to the airport now, arghhhhhhhh!!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good luck Velloo! Don't be shit.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Anyone know how Velloo got on? I don't have her details for stalking purposes. Lit is our resident stalking expert......