Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 Trail Marathon

Comments

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Sorry Matt, no idea. Dont know if they would want/could ditch it.

yes that makes sense with the mile markers. I just like to start a count down at 16 miles and it had to stop at 4 todayimage

Good luck at you Marathon Matt! image
  • Well done Jindalee, you ran an awesome time. I'm pretty happy with 5.18 for my first Ultra...was cursing myself rather than the tourists for only training a month out and doing a furthest run of 30K. It was really nice to join a run back in UK and beautiful course. I thought it was well organised and good fun. Who said it wasn't hilly thoughimage I'll try to run this again when I'm back in the summer again...well done to all today image

• Millsy, great time too...well done!

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I was 5:18 too image enjoyed it, and worth the trip down from Cardiff. A bit too much road work for my liking - glad I had road shoes on. Lots of bottlenecks at the start of the 50k which frustrated a few people around me.

excellent organisation, loads of water stations and well marked course even I didn't get lost then I can't fault it. Didn't mind the bit at the end really, but I wasn't running fast enough to be bothered by the proletariat!

Definitely one to put on the list of regular events, thanks for all the advice given in this thread, it's been very useful!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Cheers Sandrunner!

I agree Gee, slightly too much road for my minimal trail shoes so my feet took a bit of a hammering.

I'm not feeling too shattered tonight so I think I didn't really give 100%

Glad everyone enjoyed it, even if the tourists were a pain.

Update- the results are now online. Looks like a much higher quality of field this yr in the 50k. I don't feel so bad now.
  • JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sandrunner. You did very well too!! image
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Just got back from A&E..... looks like I am up for a bit of a chemical romance for a while. Codeine..... yummmmm but it bungs you up image

Looks like my painful foot from a few weeks ago was determined to have the last laugh; this is the first race I have failed to finish. But the pain was so bad I was feeling dizzy and nauseous. I have either burst or seriously inflamed a fat sac under my heel bone or I have a stress fracture of a small bone.

Will find out tomorrow 'til then my foot is in an ice bath.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    image oh no. I wish you a speedy recovery SideBurn! Let us know how you are getting on.You must be devastated.
  • Glad to hear that most people's races went well.

I didn't get lost, which is saying a lot for the quality of the signage.  Though my Garmin did measure close to 27 mi.

This was my first marathon and first trail run and really enjoyed it.  As I'm quite a slow runner, I was a bit afraid that I'd be all on my own for most of the race but was pleasantly surprised to see that wasn't the case.

Unfortunately, my chip time seems to be attached to someone else's name image (with my name not on the list at all)  The same for my husband's.

• Sideburns that sucks! I do hope you get well looked after and a swift recovery. I can't imagine how you must feel, do let us know what they say today.

About those mile markers, our 30k route took us past the marathon 18 mile marker. One guy I was running with called his wife to let her know to meet him at the finish as he only had a mile left. Whoops. He wasn't too impressed when I told him my Garmin said otherwise!

• Wishing you a quick recovery Sideburn. Where did that happen? I saw a 3-4 people being helped off the course at various stages with foot / calf injuries, mainly turned ankles I think. The footing was quite loose in places. 

• Sideburn was good meeting you Sunday. Sorry to hear your race went bad image I can easily see a foot injury getting worse on some of them droves. My feet took a right battering to a point where I had to put my running shoes back on after 20 odd miles!

It was a good day and really enjoyed it image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    My ankles are feeling more sore than usual this morning.

Those fields and paths between the dual carriageway and the yew tree forest were lethal.
  • They were and in flip flops even more so lol. My legs feel great but the bottoms of my feet look like dog food

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

My race finished just before the 20 mile mark of the marathon. I could run, but when I stopped I could not start again! I kept reminding myself of Scott Jurek running 125 miles on a sprained ankle and Tyler Hamilton riding a bike with a broken shoulder grinding his teeth away to distract himself from the pain. I started to feel sick and dizzy and was reminded that later in his career Tyler was told, "It is only a bike race". Walking with a branch helped... 

Then I saw Salisbury Cathedral in the distance  image

I was rescued by two people who were running 10 marathons in memory of their child who would be 10 this year. Emotional stuff... I cannot say how grateful I am to be rescued, I am not the sort of person to ask for help or show pain, but I was almost in tears

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi SideBurn

So sorry to hear that. Wish you a speedy recovery! Do you know already what it is?

Mile 20 must have been a bad one.. I also saw someone just after mile 20 who was limping, he thought his Achilles went.
  • That was a great event.  My first ultra and a lot more fun than my first trail marathon a few months back.  Still can't believe the physio fixed my ITB within a week of the race - what a legend! If you are in the Bath area lookup Sonja Bass.  

Good to see you there @jindalee - and a great run time image

Bad luck @sideburn, that sounds really nasty.  Take it easy and I hope it works out for you.

Well done to everyone else, fantastic results. I'll maybe see you next year when I'll be back for more image

I might offer to build a website for them before then, seeing as thats my day jobimage

Next up, Clarendon image

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi Rich, was good to see you too. And well done! Glad that your ITB didn't cause you trouble.

I agree, I also enjoyed this one more than the Neolithic. image

Already thinking about my next marathon. Must be crazy. Think I caught a nasty bug yesterday.image

That's a great idea Rich, it would be great if they would have a nice website for this event.
  • JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    argh! Just had a look at the Clarendon Marathon and very tempted as the start is less than 2 miles from home and as I have nothing so far for October...image

I might you see there Rich.
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    Jindalee wrote (see)
    Hi SideBurn

So sorry to hear that. Wish you a speedy recovery! Do you know already what it is?

Mile 20 must have been a bad one.. I also saw someone just after mile 20 who was limping, he thought his Achilles went.

I suspect that was me image 

A lot of people stopped and offered help which was great and appreciated image

The Achilles is what it seemed like at the time because the pain seemed to be from the back of the heel. But it seems that I have inflamed the fat pad that sits under the heel bone? This is where the Achilles joins the heel bone.

If anyone knows more about this sort of injury I would be interested.

Any good book recommendations from anyone? 'Cause I will need them!

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    were you 4111? Did they find you ok? When I reported (4111) at the next check point they said someone already went to look for him.

Sorry I don't know anything about this injury but hope it will get better soon.

As for book recommendation. It depends on what you like image
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

That was me then!

Dihydrocodeine is starting to do it's thing image

• What a great run for my first marathon.  Really slow time, but I was just happy to get round as I'd missed 4 of the longest runs due to illness.  Good to meet Jindalee and everyone else I chatted to on the way round! 

• I couldn't have run that worse, but overall happy I finished and within 5:30. This was my first Ultra so it's good to have completed it.

I ran way too fast for the first 18 miles, the the hill, poor footing, sun and getting lost all hit me at the same time. I ran with 5 cramps from mile 21 which was the worlst experience of my life. Hoping to better this in another 50k ASAP and at the Thames 50 mile trot in Feb.

Hope you're ok Sideburn. I saw you just after the first or second style around mile 21, but someone else was already seeing to you and word had already got out and I think the abulance, police, FBI and A-Team were all out looking for you.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Everyone goes off too fast in this race.

I was about 25th after the first 5 miles, by mile 20 I was in the top 10.

Exactly the same happened last yr.

it's much more fun to watch everyone fly off at the start knowing that you will see them again in about 20 miles time as you fly (in comparison) past them feeling a bit smug.
  • JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    pics are you in case you are interested!image
  • That's some pretty terrible coverage.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    hoping that there will be some more...
  • I hope so. There's just multiple pics of around 20 people.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    yes hopefully there will be more pics of runners in the forest etc and not only at the finish. I cold not find any of me when I looked quickly. just looking through the slideshow...