Options

Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 Trail Marathon

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    You won't be far off the front with that time.
  • Options

In 2010        I  finished 17th overall      

and 3rd  Vet50's.    This year i feel i'm running at roughly that pace (  8:34 mm)  

I'm hoping the going underfoot will be firm and not muddy.  

• Options

@Waccy however bad my maths is thats still a great effort image

Actually, it interested me enough to do my last medium run (21k) on the road.  All my traiing has been over the Ox Droves and so on.  It's long time since I did a pure road run and it was so nice - about 20min quicker than my trail runs!  I forget that there is much difference.  I've never run on a dreadmill so I don't know how that stacks up.

Got physio tomorrow so hopefully that'll fix my ITB up!  Really looking forward to this even if I have to move down to the 30k it'll be a blast!

• Options

Thanks Rich.     I find the treadmill very helpful at times as it allows me to increase my pace and hold it for  an hour at a time.( have to restart, what a pain) You can't do that out on the road or trail for a hundred different reasons, like cars, pavements, traffic lights etc. 

Hope everything goes well for you at the physio  .

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi Fat Dave image

Good luck for tomorrow Rich!

Hi Waccy. Still great running! I also hope that it won't be muddy as I will be running in road shoes.
  • Options

I just hope it's cool. Last night I was struggling to run under 9min/mile. This morning in the cool i was running 7.45min/mile!

• Options

Yes the heat can make a big difference to the pace  but I do prefer it to the cold.

I had to withdraw from a race this year because of the cold. That's never  happeneed with the heat.

Another fast session for me today. After an easy two mile warm up I went on the track for an hour and did 8.4 miles

Followed by a 7 min mile and a 6 :45  min mile. 

I haven't felt this strong for ages.

That's the last of my serious training. Now i'll just jog lightly until race day.

Have a nice weekend folks.

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Yup. image This time next week I should have finished my second Marathon.

Hope everyone's last LSR went well
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    12 very easy miles for me today. Hoping the conditions will be similar next week.
  • Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    I agree Millsy. Today was quite nice weather for running
  • Options

If the weather is to be believed it may be a wet one.

• Options

Well Salisbury sits on top of chalk so it should be quick to drain, but its heavy rain for the next few days and cloudy over the weekend......at the moment. I really wanted to rock my sandals image although from memory large chunks are on pavements and I cant think their will be much mud as most of the trails were pretty good

• Options

Waccy that is weird. I love running in the cold. I'd say 5-10C is perfect for me. 20C is hot, but anything over 25C and I can pretty much guarantee I won't finish.

• Options

Fat Dave7-  I've never ran in extreme heat so I don't know how I'd get on in desert conditions.  I just know the cold did me in after 10 hours of a 100 mile race.  It was -3 and getting colder !

Did a two hour trail run yesterday . Must admit it's much harder than the treadmill but then again it is a great deal more enjoyable. ( despite the nettles and thorns. )

A couple of six milers left for me this week

then I'll be more than

54321 ready steady go!image   

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Wacy, you make me feel lazy! My training plan for this week says 2 x 30 mins easy runs and 10-20 mins jog on Sat...
  • Options

haha I barely tapered last week so this week I'm taking it east. 5m yesterday, prob three 4 milers this week and i'm done. The rest of the week...praying!

• Options

Finished 2 hr trail on Sunday then 6K-4K-3K easy this week but don't ask me I just make it up as I go along image

• Options

Will be running 15 miles the day before image as its my back to back this weekend, as its a warm up for a 56 miler in 4 weeks time image So i should come solidly last place image

Can anybody remember the name of that massive Castle part way round the course where you go over the bridge and they have all the Swans paddling about. I think its a private house? I cant for the life of me remember the name?

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

My foot has stopped hurting image Now what do I do?

I have been racking up the miles on the bike but have not run since the 16th of July.... and that was 3.8k...

I guess I will answer the age old question, how much help is cycling to a marathon runner. Watch this space...

I am now buzzing with expectation, which probably means a pb for 10k..... and then 32k of pain image

• Options

The castle is Longford Castle - yes it is private. I probably won't see it this year - almost certainly only doing the 10K, not such an interesting route but I haven't done the training for anything longer.

• Options

Longford castle! You are a scholar and a gentleman/lady image

Sideburn- Go for it,  i'll do exactly the same in the 50k, its not meant to be pretty! image

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    good news guys! My phone predicts 20 degrees an sunshine for Sunday image

and my phone never lies (I wish!) but it is looking promising...
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Longford castle is a nice sight. Shame it's all private as it would make a nice run route for me.

Forecast is looking good although still not decided on kit choice yet.

What times are people looking at getting there on Sunday. As I'm doing the 50k I should be down there for just after 8am.
  • Options

I'm staying at a B&B so I'll be up early for brekkie and will then also aim for soon after 8 I imagine. Get my number sorted and scout out the start etc.

I also can't decide on kit. I can't decide whether to carry a camelbak or a belt and bottle.

• Options

8am is when im planning for. Gives me enough time to worry and fret and possibly get lost on the way from where im staying.

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Think I will also aim to be there around 8am 8.30 at the latest. I hate being late and not be able to sort things in peaceimage
  • Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Doing the 50k - have been back through the thread, looked at the reviews and re-read the info pack... 

It sounds to me like the checkpoints are officially "water only", but the reviews seem to talk of bread and butter pudding, jelly babies, mars bars etc...! 

I'm a bit of an eating machine on these long runs, (this is a back-to-back training session for me) so it'd be good to know if I need to take my own snacks or I can run without a pack for a change? It sounds to me like I can rely on the checkpoints for calories, (I'll eat anything)

Any advice would be much appreciated - see you on Sunday image

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    morning all image

Hello GeeeM, Sorry I cannot advice what will be available on the checkpoints as this is the first time I'm doing this race. I will take some jelly babies with me and put my boyfriend at the finish line with some home made cakes image
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Geee , I did the 50k last year just carrying 6 gels and drinking water at the aid stations. The food was quite random on the way round so it may be worth taking a little bit with you. There was plenty of water so I won't be taking a pack unless the temperature goes back up to 30 degrees.