Kielder Marathon

2»

Comments

• Well done James. Easy a sub 4 on any normal course but maybe not quite so much fun. Enjoy your achievement. 

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly James. Well done on a brilliant time too - sure sub 4 is well within your reach for next year.  

I was really impressed with the organisation and the course, especially after Cram's Sunderland fiasco this year...image  Couldn't fault this one though.  Shallow and pathetic as it is, I was also really impressed by the lovely medal and the XS T-shirt (still too big, I'm a midget, but nice that they bothered to try for some smaller sizes!).  I loved the surface, and especially loved the way it was set up - there were some really nice focal points on the route that helped me a lot psycologically - I could tell myself to run to the first feed station, then run to halfway, then run to the dam, then to 20 miles...etc.  It split it up nicely for my brain!  

• Had an absolute blast, did both the 10k and marathon and was blown away by the organisation and just sheer fun of it. Was my 4th marathon and although it was a few minutes slower than my others this year (3.55) feels like a huge win given the course and conditions.

BUt why am I thinking about doing it again!!! Madness I tell you!!!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing it again too...

• I asked my wife afterwards to remind me how bad I felt. She has.

But...but...there's a time to beat now....image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Haha.  Photos are up on marathonphotos - I am grinning like a loon in all of them, so obviously my starry-eyed rose-tinted thoughts about it are not as far from the truth as I suspected they might be.  Must be reason to do it again!

• First post here, hello.

I did Kielder at the weekend, my first marathon, my max distance being 20 miles beforehand and longest race the GNR. It was totally brutal, but what an experience. Organisation for runners and spectators was spot on, and great conditions.

Finished in 4:11:27, which I didn't think was too bad for my first crack. Especially considering I got halfway in like 1:55 and had a MASSIVE fade between 18-22. I managed to get it together for the last 3 or 4 with the help of some lad I ran with for those miles, which took my mind off my throbbing legs.

One thing that really took my by surprise was the what appeared to be the average age; I'm 29 and it felt like I was one of youngest runners!

I've already registered my interest for next year though, a brilliant event.

• If you've started marathon running at 29 that is pretty young. Just imagine how good you can get..........

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Great stuff m9tth!  I'm a baby marathoner too - it was my first at 28, and I was a bit surprised to find how few people there were in our age cat.  I mean, I sort of theoretically knew that marathon running was more popular in older age groups, but didn't really expect to see it so obviously if that makes any sense.  

Aargh, James you have got me looking at the Hardmoors page now...  V tempted by the 15 on New Years Day...

• Hi I just ran Kielder too, but I'm afraid I fall into that older cat'. My first at 43-I wish I'd started at 28 well done you. Did you enjoy it? I enjoyed the first 14 mile, had to concentrate through the next 5 and then fought my way through the last 6, but I did get there...eventually. It was a great day and I met loads of fantastic people!

• @madbee, Thanks! I got a real sense of just how 'new' I was to the distance when I went flying past dozens and dozens of older blokes up to about mile 15, then stopped passing people, then all the guys I'd passed came plodding along past me across the dam at like 18/19 as my legs nearly gave up.

PCleasby Ha, I think I'll drop down to halfs 10/20ks for a bit now I think. I'm looking at maybe the Buttermere/Borrowdale events in the spring. Interesting point though, I hadn't thought about how 'long' I have to improve!

@kitty grant, I really enjoyed it, dare I say more than GNR. So many great people I agree. I was really blasé about 'the wall', having comfortably done 20 miles before, but I certainly felt it between 18-22, it was like I was barely moving (garmin agreed!), but picked up my pace again at the end. If I'm still going at 43 I'll be well pleased. Congratulations!

• Well done everyone! It was great, wasn't it! (even though when my wife asked how it was at the finish I said 'It was horrible', and was on the brink of blubbing like a baby!). My first marathon at age 51, and just squeaked under 4.15. Was cruising at 1.57 at halfway, just about okay until mile 18, slowed a bit to mile 21 then absolutely fell apart when the constant undulations took their toll - I could barely move at the end and had to borrow my wife's walking stick (running injury) to get back to the hotel. You can't move for hills here in Plymouth, so I should have been better prepared. Next year I will be! And can I echo all the compliments to marshalls and volunteers who were fab!