Exercises to help with running

Hi, I expect it has all been done before. I know of a few exercises to help with running but I was wondering if anybody could list a few and give a reason as to how each one helps? |f that makes any sense image I've never really given it much thought, I presumed you go running to get better at running

Comments

• I think weight resistance for the legs to help with speedwork and running in general...and core work to help maintain running form during long races...

• Think it depends on what your particular strengths and weaknesses are. E.g. if weak glutes are causing problems, do loads of clams (ouch) etc.

• TV - Pick up a pilates DVD next time you're in Tescos for about £5.  Makes a great little midweek workout, and I've really seen some benefits in core and leg strength since doing it.

I do try and make sure I'm out of view of the neighbours when I'm doing it though, as some of the moves can leave you looking like a right pillock, stretched out over the lounge floor!

• We're taking exercise advice from someone called 'Pudge'?image

• Peter Collins wrote (see)

We're taking exercise advice from someone called 'Pudge'?image

Oi !

Fair point though.

• I've heard a few people say Pilates image I think I might give it a go, good bit of cross training image

• +1 for Pilates

Asics have a few videos of good strength training exercises for runners here: http://www.asics.co.uk/running/knowledge/why-runners-need-to-do-strength-training/

• TheVicar wrote (see)

I've heard a few people say Pilates image I think I might give it a go, good bit of cross training image

I like a bit of pilates. Also, if you want to be the annoying student in the class, like me, and you have a good teacher, you can say 'why are we doing this?' all the time and find out why each exercise helps.