Entry Fees

Comments

• TheVicar wrote (see)

Good idea about volunteering as that always looks good on the old CV

Not necessarily Vicar. My CV is full of volunteer jobs. Now I'm receiving criticism for not having done PAID work while raising my two kids with my husband working his arse off at the other end of the country. I've pointed out that I HAVE been volunteering. 

'volunteering just takes jobs from people who really need paying' came the reply,

• HellywobsHellywobs ✭✭✭

I had a month's break between jobs last year and even though I knew I had a job to go to in a few weeks, having to sign on was a deeply unpleasant experience.  I don't think many people do it through choice.  

Occasionally (such as in the area of public libraries) volunteers do take jobs away from paid staff (though they have little choice if a library will otherwise close) but in most cases they do roles that would never be paid (such as marshalling a race!)

• Why did you sign on if you were only between jobs and knew you had a job to go to?

• Pudge wrote (see)

Why did you sign on if you were only between jobs and knew you had a job to go to?

It keeps your National Insurance contributions up to date, Otherwise later in life you can get in the really stupid situation of not getting any benefits, but still making the trip every fortnight to sign on

• Just withdraw all benefits. Sink or swim innit.  

• Chappers wrote (see)

Just withdraw all benefits. Sink or swim innit.  

yes and then those who are starving  or have starving family can take the same line.......sink or swim.....but with an automatic rifles in their hands.....they could then take other peoples possessions and food by force.and we could have survival of the fitest.....those who become the most brutal and selfish and are willing to kill most people will have the possesions...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TheVicar wrote (see)
    marathon molly wrote (see)

I work full-time and I can't afford to go to a gym and I don't do expensive races. It's not the end of the world. If I can't afford it then I can't have it. Simple.

Well said image

+1

I've read through this thread and can see it from both points. I think as others have mentioned: gyms that cost 80quid a month are just extortionate for what they actually are and i'd never pay it.

My local gym is 15EUR a month and you get every sort of person in there. I know that a fair few of them are unemployed but they're doing it for their confidence. I overheard two women in the changing room saying that if they could shift a little bit more of the weight; they could get a job in the local factory. It was a motivation for them and I'd fully support that.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    TheVicar wrote (see)

Good idea about volunteering as that always looks good on the old CV

Not necessarily Vicar. My CV is full of volunteer jobs. Now I'm receiving criticism for not having done PAID work while raising my two kids with my husband working his arse off at the other end of the country. I've pointed out that I HAVE been volunteering. 

'volunteering just takes jobs from people who really need paying' came the reply,

What nonsense.
    Sounds like this person has no concept or knowledge of volunteering.
    I would have just embarresed them and made them look stupid by correcting their misconception.

Stupid idiot.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)
    Chappers wrote (see)

yes and then those who are starving  or have starving family can take the same line.......sink or swim.....but with an automatic rifles in their hands.....they could then take other peoples possessions and food by force.and we could have survival of the fitest.....those who become the most brutal and selfish and are willing to kill most people will have the possesions...

and that doesn't happen already?

So just how would someone with no money afford an automatic riffle over someone with money? Very stupid argument there.

• mrs. hog - mousey wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)
    Chappers wrote (see)

and that doesn't happen already?

So just how would someone with no money afford an automatic riffle over someone with money? Very stupid argument there.

Surely the point is that they wouldn't need to 'afford' it.  They would find an alternative method of acquisition.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Automatic rifles should be subsidised, where people are out of work through no fault of their own.

• Remove all benefits - cracking idea.

Then when everyone cuts back on spending - as there is no longer a safety net - you may find yourself out of a job. I do hope your line of work isnt dependent on conspicuous consumption.

• yeah, I'm sure the scrounges would still find money for sky tv, fast food and cheap pish, so doubt the economy would suffer on that count. 

Plus with the work force no longer subsiding the work shy, our tax contribution could be decreased. Then we would have more disposable income to spend spend spend in our gated communities. 

• And when the poor protest about this - we can just bring in the army right?

• HellywobsHellywobs ✭✭✭
    Pudge wrote (see)

Why did you sign on if you were only between jobs and knew you had a job to go to?

Because I was unemployed for a month so it was worth claiming.  If it had only been a week or so I wouldn't have bothered, but ultimately it depends on your financial situation anyway - you get around £250 for a month which isn't to be sniffed at.

The NI point is a well made one although it doesn't apply to me as I receive child benefit so my contributions are kept up to date anyway.

• And of course there is a proposed change that will require 35 years of NI contributions in future rather than the current 30 

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, how would I fare with the above.  Went back to work when little C started school but I'm under the NI threshold so don't pay NI. 

• Cinders wrote (see)

Out of curiosity, how would I fare with the above.  Went back to work when little C started school but I'm under the NI threshold so don't pay NI. 

Have you looked at paying Class 3 contributions to top-up your contribution record.

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

And of course there is a proposed change that will require 35 years of NI contributions in future rather than the current 30 

For a man, I don't see why it matters whether it's 30 or 35 years.

Even if you started work at 25, you'd only have to work to age 60 to get a full record.

For a woman, who might take time off to have children etc, there may be more of an issue, but even for a woman it's largely achievable.

• It matters if you have to trail into town to sign on every other week,  when you are not getting anything else out of it 

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Thanks Pudge. Will look into that. 

• Cinders wrote (see)

Thanks Pudge. Will look into that. 

No probs, have a look on hmrc.gov.uk and you should find how to go about doing it.

I think it'll cost you about £600-700 per year in voluntary contributions.

• I've just seen this thread after reading it in rw.

I experienced discounts for the unemployed at last years Robin Hood. I sent the organisers a letter asking why should they get a discount when:

1,They have all the time in the world to train

2,Free prescritions

3,Council tax paid

4,Help with rent/mortgage

The reply i got basically said "if you dont like it, then dont enter"

What chance has the average man in the street got when this is the attitude of major companies??

And just to add insult to injury, this years fees £29.75 if you work, £10.00 if you dont!!!

• If you want subsidised entry fees as an unemployed person an answer could be to act as a marshall at a certain number of events to gain points that could be put towards the subsidy. This way there is a gain all round - more marshalls and cheaper races.

Food for thought?

• But how do you fund all the travel to these events to marshal ?

• If you can get there to race you can get there to marshall - simples

• seren nos wrote (see)

i don't think its the entry fee that puts off younger runners.they just have better things to do on the weekends like going oput clubbing and getting pissed.........they probably pay more money for one drink in a nightclub than they would on a rcae entry

Thing is, not all students/young people do go out and get pissed every weekend. There are those of us that get up early and run because we love running as much as the rest of you. Just because a lot of young people do go out and get pissed doesnt mean all of us do! 
    A race fee of £20 is basically a weeks food for me, so any reduction on that would be greatly appreciated! Believe me, if race fees were as low as drinks prices in clubs, then I would be doing a hell of a lot more races!

• cougie wrote (see)
    Young people are probably having too much fun to run marathons - I don't think that's a problem really ? If you look at a city centre at midnight on a Saturday you'll find a lot of youngsters having nights out. I'd reckon you'd spend more money there than you would on most race entries.

If you went to Manchester City Centre tonight you would find me handing out flyers on minimum wage to earn money so I can pay for race entries...

• Give the unemployed free race entry in return for volunteering to marshall.

No argument then about cheaper entry - and everyone actually benefits by doing it this way.