Aaaarghhh, calf strain eight days before a marathon...

Hi All - I've just come in from a run that I cut short after 20 minutes due to a twinging left calf that was definitely getting more painful the further I went. The bad news is that I'm running an marathon a week tomorrow and I want to avoid if possible any calf related problems on race day.I've often had calf pain when starting out on a training regime for a full or half marathon but I've not had this problem at this late stage in the training before.

Any suggestions as to how I should minimise the risk of calf problems during the race? Should I back of running completely next week? Any miracle cures or kit (eg compression socks) anyone can suggest? Would it be worth seeing a physio?

Any suggestions are very welcome? I've invested a lot of time and effort training for this event and I'd like to avoid limping around the course in six hours if possible...

Cheers, Paul

Comments

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi Paul. Sorry to hear about your calf. I managed to strain mine on a Wednesday before my first marathon. It was quite bad and walking was a challenge on that day let alone running. I did lots of stretches pretty much all the time as it was worse when I kepp the calf still. I also put ice on it and put voltarol cream on it. I also went for walks from Thursday as it also helped easing the pain. I didn't run al all till Sunday and was able to complete the marathon. I did have a bit of pain in my calf but it didn't get worse during the race. I think someone with more experience will come along but the above helped me to get to the start and finish line.

Good luck!
  • Team work Sam, that is what you need.image

Hello Jindalee. I hope you have recovered well from the neolithic marathon . 

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi waccy. Yup recovered fine. Wanted to take a week off running to get me calf sorted 100% but from wed on I really wanted to get out again and this morning I went for a little run. image Already entered another marathon ...