ouch that hurts

advice please, have come back to running after a year of injury to find i am struggling to run, have a niggle that really hurts at top of leg where it joins groin, its like it twangs when i run after 2 or 3 miles it seems to settle but still hurts, could it be a tear ? and how can i get rid so i can run without pain, incidentally it also does it day to day when i am at work and home, causes me to hobble some days.

Comments

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Rest it and go see a physio who understands runner and sportspeople. I carried on and it caused more problems that cost a fortune in physio/osteopaths.

• I suffered from something similar many years ago when I was in my early 20s and playing a lot of sport - mine often went after playing and I was simply walking when I'd get a sharp pain and a 'twanging' sensation in the groin.

Turns out mine was a posture problem and a little physio sorted me out.

• tinkerbelletinkerbelle ✭✭✭

hi, thanks guys for info, unfortunately i have a 10k in 2 weeks , although wont be old speed more a run with some walking to support a friend , once thats out of the way can get sorted properly.

• I've been seeing a sports physio for tight glutes/piriformis.  Do you all just run through  'discomfort' as opposed to pain as I'm finding 10 miles hard going at the moment ?  As another question does anyone else find most sessions quite hard ?  I did VLM and  at the time said I'd definitely do another marathon but I'm losing a bit of enthusiasm at the moment. 

• tinkerbelletinkerbelle ✭✭✭

don,t run through pain, if its a tight piriformis and glutes u need to do stretches and cross train till physio says its ok to run again, swimming and cycling are the best, and build it up again. foam rolling is good for piriformis but i still havent got the hang of it properley, the yoga pose the pigeon is also best stretch ever, look it up and give it a go.

• thanks tinkerbelle - the physio hasn't told me to stop just stretch and strengthen my gluteus medius.  I go to yoga once a week and will find out about the pigeon.  I've also found that sitting on the power plate we've got at the gym is beneficial.