South Downs 100miles

I am thinking about resurrecting the old South Downs 80 but extending it to 100miler.

Timeframe for the first running would be September 2005 as it looks now.

Questions:
1/ Should I bring in qualifications standards?
2/ How supported or self supported should this need to be?
3/ What is considered a reasonable entry fee? In the US you pay nearly $200 for the WS, seems a lot, untill you see the scale of operations.
I think that GBP40 or thereabouts is reasonable?

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers,

H

Comments

• hehe, name the entry fee...do we want tents to sleep in....?
  • only softies sleep in tents..
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [scampers off to tell tales on ed...]
  • Yeah, sleep on special request of Ed...
    I think most runners could do without.

Cut-off time?
    What do you think?

• fair point tim.... in my distinguished ultra career.. i've yet to d oa race that involves sleep... well not till after anyway
  • Can you sleep afterwards?
    I always struggle on the first night...
    Something about excitement I guess, the body won't settle down.
  • Its a bit hilly so maybe a cutoff time of 30 hours? Western Stats is 35 hours isn't it? SDW is flat compared to that or so I'm told.
  • 1/ Should I bring in qualifications standards?
    SHOULD BE AT LEAST SUB 2.25 MARATHON

2/ How supported or self supported should this need to be?
    SELF SUPPORT DEFINATELY -SUPPORT IS FOR SPRINT DISTANCES OF 40 MILES OR LESS

3/ What is considered a reasonable entry fee? In the US you pay nearly $200 for the WS, seems a lot, untill you see the scale of operations.
    I think that GBP40 or thereabouts is reasonable?
    £40 SOUNDS A BIT STEEP - WHAT DO YOU GET FOR YOUR MONEY?. IF THE BERKELEY 100 IN U.S CAN DO IT FOR THE PRICE OF A NUMBER PLATE THEN PRESUMABLY THIS RACE COULD BE DONE FOR THE SAME.

I reckon if you adopt my suggestions - you could be on for a real winner ;o)

• He's right, I agree entirely.
    Er, is te Berkley 100 still going?
  • Brilliant idea. this stopped before I got into this lark and I would love to do it as would many people I know. 40 quid, when do you want it? are there any entry forms yet? Where can I get them? sorry getting carried away. Support and a long cut off would encourage some people and make it more popular. After all there is no future for an event that only caters for a few people. as for 40 quid thats very reasonable. you runners out there are really spoiled by your low entry fees, you should try some other sports and see what they charge. as long as there is a good t'shirt in it I will pay 40+ no prob. But not the silly amounts MOB wants.
  • OK, so far I have:

- No other qualifications than a completion of one ultra of 40 miles or further in the 2 years leading up to the race date.
    Anyone completing the GUCR, MoB, MdS or similar events have automatic entry irrespective of year of completion and finish time and ranking.
    NOTE:
    Welshman needs to show proof of sub 2:25 marathon in the last two months before the event :D, should he be interested after my earlier forum altercation.
    - Cut-off of 32 hrs, midway cut-off of 18 hrs.
    - No buddies are allowed to enter the race before the 70 miles and they need to be registered at the checkpoint where they join.
    - 12 checkpoints, 6 of which stock water, sportsdrink, electrolyte capsules, food, fruit and other snacks.
    - Race t-shirt, displaying the race logo, name, distance and date on the front in smaller size, like above the heart area.
    Backprint repeating theme be it larger.
    T-shirt is not of the normal variety but of coolmax type material.

To be slightly different and give everyone taking part and supporting I was thinking of a 12:00 midday start.
    Since we all loose a night sleep anyway, this will cause the least disruption. You don't have to climb out of bed around 4 to get to the start and if you take 30hrs to complete the event, you still miss only one night sleep.
  • midday start what an excellent idea. How about teams and a parrallel event for walkers like LDWA stuff. some of them can do that sort of distance faster than some runners. It would open it up to a greater market as well. As for qualifying if you are going to have it you can't have it any longer than a year before and the fact that ultras to qualify with are few and far between then maybe just a marathon of 4 hrs or less like london to brighton. Otherwise you put it out of reach for a lot of people to even enter and in doing so cut down your potential field. unless you are a millionaire and are going to fubd the race then you have to make sure it is economically viable and relying on a few ultra runners who can be very fickle will not pay your way. How about corporate challenges or relays as well to get some public interest.
  • I wouldn't bother with a qualifying time - if you have a cut off (as generous as logistically possible) and leave it up to people to judge for themselves whether they can make it. Some people (like me) wouldn't want to make ultra running their thing but would probably have a crack at this as a one off.

• Midday starting time is good prefable to morning- but what about the an evening one.

The Dark Peak marathon starts at middnight or think - or thereabouts.

You are the most fresh for the night time stage then
  • Popsider,
    Starting later would be better for the nightstage but runners who finish outside the 24 hrs would have two night to deal with.

And since this is a normal weekend it would cause the event to overrun onto a workday, not da-able for some.

I looked at the calendar and am aiming for August 2005 as the first running of the event. That month, nothing much else is going on in the south.
    Henk
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds great - if you do decide to go ahead with this please email me. I am now the person responsible for the RRC & TRA Endurance Directory.

Possibility that there may be an ultra in East Kent starting August 2005, though no definite details yet.

I think for the 100 you need to use the bank holiday weekend, it would clash with Two Bridges but don't think it would affect either event.
  • Hi there,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    You are probably right regarding the bankholiday weeekend, I was trying to avoid clashing with another event but will look again for that date you suggest.

Once I am back in Surrey next year I will start with contacting people and getting some structure to the event. I think that being well 2005 as first running is realistic.

By the way, has the TRA merged with the RRC?
    Do you have a link for me to look at?
    Thanks,

Henk
  • Not sure what is happening here but that last message wasn't from me - as you can tell by the picture !
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Henk - No, they haven't merged, just share race directory. As road runners like to also do off road, and occasionally vice versa!!

Keep me updated please, you can always email me and I'll email you my email address. ...does that make sense?