Daily discussion: running excuses

Let's be honest running isn't always at the top of our what we really want to do list and some days the motivation just isn't there. Maybe it's pouring with rain - like today, windy, cold or you've just don't feel 100%. What excuses do you use to talk yourself out of - or into a run?

Comments

• I always use my kids as an excuse not to run.  Not seen them all day due to being at work, getting home at 6PM only to the leave the house again for an hours run doesn't always go down too well.  They don't seem to mind though but it does make me feel guilty and I don't go running as much as I should.

• It's raining. I left my trainers at work. It's frosty. I'll be too tired (to do what I need to do next). 

Or...it's only x weeks until the race, you need to get going. Your sister has just run longer/faster than you, you need to get going. It's fun...you need to get going. Go running and you can have red wine and chacolate...you need to get going. one of them usually works to get me going!

• Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

I find the GPS watch is quite motivating - being able to track the workout and show it off to your mates if its mildly impressive can be a good motivational tool to get out there and share the experience!

www.sheffield10k.com

• Mostly too bloody tired image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

None - don't miss a run unless I have planned to miss it - run everymorning, come rain shine or snow.

• a very lethargic day after marathon! but i'll talk myself to a run after a high carb day! 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Annie RW wrote (see)

Let's be honest running isn't always at the top of our what we really want to do list 

Yes it is.

• Always Tenjiso? What about when your on the job?

• If you can decide not to bother so easily then youre not really taking it very seriously 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)

Always Tenjiso? What about when your on the job?

That's merely just another element of fitness to improve my running. I wouldn't do it otherwise. image

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Not sure I use excuses.  But I'd say I miss a run twice a week.  Just run out of time...  or genuinely feel I can't leave the family mid-evening.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

That's merely just another element of fitness to improve my running. I wouldn't do it otherwise. image

Impressive....

What category.... interval, lsd, recovery?

• I use running as an excuse not to do other things, rather than the other way round.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    SideBurn wrote (see)
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

Impressive....

What category.... interval, lsd, recovery?

Starts out with the intention of it being endurance, but it usually ends up a short sprint. A single interval session, I suppose.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

A pacing issue then....

• A race is a race, and winners always come first.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

it isn't part of my new plan.

(which I am going to draw up as soon as I get out of bed and throw away the old one showing a 10 mile run this morning!)

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

A race is a race, and winners always come first.

I always feel it is impolite; you should offer encouragement to slower beings, for the greater good?

• SideBurn wrote (see)

I always feel it is impolite; you should offer encouragement to slower beings, for the greater good?

SideBurn wrote (see)

It's all very well to offer encouragement but when you're getting close, it's got to be a sprint finish to do yourself justice. Then you can go off for a rest and cheer them on from the sidelines. If they can't get to the end they probably weren't properly prepared for the race.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

"cheer them on from the sidelines", blimey. You are making my life seem dull image 

I offer a certain amount of encouragement, but after a while I just go off get changed (particularly if wet) and wait for the accoladesimage 

Ideally with a piece of coffee cake in hand....

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    SideBurn wrote (see)

i am so polite i let most of them finish ahead of me.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

After you... no no after you....  no, I insist.....  plenty of time... after you....

• "You will never regret having gone for a run, but you will always regret having not gone for a run." This is what I tell myself when its cold, wet and windy or my motivation is zero. It never fails and always gets me out the door, and I always feel 100x better afterwards image

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    Krib wrote (see)

"You will never regret having gone for a run, but you will always regret having not gone for a run." This is what I tell myself when its cold, wet and windy or my motivation is zero. It never fails and always gets me out the door, and I always feel 100x better afterwards image

That is easy to say, but it is peeing down with rain out there and my iliotibial band is about to go into a syndrome. My mate had the same problem, his leg exploded and blew his other leg off! Honest...

Besides the forecast is sooo much better tomorrow

• Annie RW wrote (see)

Let's be honest running isn't always at the top of our what we really want to do list and some days the motivation just isn't there. Maybe it's pouring with rain - like today, windy, cold or you've just don't feel 100%. What excuses do you use to talk yourself out of - or into a run?

Errrr, it's beautiful here. Blue sky, no wind, 12 degrees. I have just cut the grass thinking what a perfect evening to go for a run. Except I'm injured so I can't image

I was saying to my running partner earlier that when I can run again (I hope) he has to remind me of how I feel now when I would do anything to be able to run if I ever try to get out of a run.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Blue sky? No wind? We have had to bring the hens in 'cause they are soaked! It is chucking it down. The hens are s**ting everywhere and upsetting the dogs.....

And we are eating chicken curry....

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭
    Annie RW wrote (see)

Let's be honest running isn't always at the top of our what we really want to do list .

its top of mineimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hang on, wasn't yesterday's discussion about how people 'often' start running because they want to lose weight and then maybe it turns out there are other things they like about it too? Will tomorrow's topic also be aimed at people who don't like running?