TT or Road Bike

Looking for a bit of advice from some kind souls here. I'm looking to buy a buy to use for my first Ironman next year and was wondering whether it would be best to buy a TT/Tri bike or a Road bike. This bike will only be used for solo training runs and the Ironman itself so I was leaning towards the TT but as a novice cyclist I'm not sure. Any advice or even recommendations would be greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Which ironman ?

I would go for a road bike over a tt bike. Far more versatile for your training.

A tt bike is good for speed on a flat course but most people can't stay in the tri bats for 6 hours or so.

A road bike is much more suited for all the training you need to put in.
  • I have both and use both equally ... BUT if i didnt have a bike ... I would go for a road bike ...greater all round use

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

yep - road bike which you can fettle for a tri with clip on tribars and deep rim wheels

when you are no longer a novice, THEN think about a TT bike

• If you're only going to have one bike, get a road bike.  A good road bike will do you for everything.

When you've got a road bike and using it regularly, then get a Tri bike image

Remember two key rules in getting/owning a bike:

1) The best bike is not the most shiney or the most expensive or the most aero - it's the one that fits best (especially for Ironman)

2) The optimum number of bikes to own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes you currently own... image

• Timmy_G wrote (see)

If you're only going to have one bike, get a road bike.  A good road bike will do you for everything.

When you've got a road bike and using it regularly, then get a Tri bike image

Remember two key rules in getting/owning a bike:

1) The best bike is not the most shiney or the most expensive or the most aero - it's the one that fits best (especially for Ironman)

2) The optimum number of bikes to own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes you currently own... image

What he said..

TT bikes while nice arent a one stop shop like a road bike, if youve just got the one bike and its a TT bike its not going to be much fun for winter riding, group rides, easy rides with mates, sportive or hilly training rides.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Make it a road bike suitable for clip on tri bars though.  Normal shape bars, not with a high sportive type front, ideally a steeper seat tube angle etc.

• Many thanks for the responses. I do have an old road bike that I'll be using for winter runs as it's a good solid aluminium frame beast but I could do with something lighter and more of a proper size compared to my height. Seems a good road bike would be the most logical investment from reading the responses. 

Good thing I'm at work so I can browse online for a new bike.

Cheers all

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

and before you buy, try a few for fit and feel. getting the fit right is key and you can only really do that by talking to a decent bike shop and getting measured.  by changing things like stem length, crank length, saddle position, bar height etc you can then get a very good setup for you.