Nipples

2»

Comments

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Off the top of my head. Do men have nipples because everyone starts off as a female in the ovary?

Eggs are produced in the ovaries.  It is not until an egg is fertilised by sperm outside the ovary that a new human might be said to 'start off'.

• Exactly what I said. Why are you repeating me. Duhh. 

Exactly what I said. Why are you repeating me. Duhh. 

Erm, are you being serious or joking?

• Ultra runners often have their toe nails surgically removed.  Wonder if this is an option for nipples?  I also shave my head which helps with water resistance when swimming and streamlining when runing.

All part of being a triathlete image

• I'm never serious and never joking. "Start as" could mean anything but apart from pedantic twats, who would care less. I wasn't writing for The Lancet. What a beurkimage

• Hagakure wrote (see)

Ultra runners often have their toe nails surgically removed.  Wonder if this is an option for nipples?  I also shave my head which helps with water resistance when swimming and streamlining when runing.

All part of being a triathlete image

In an episode of Game of Thrones this slave master character chopped off a slave's nipple.  Quite gruesome.  Probably overkill for nipple rash.

I'm never serious and never joking. "Start as" could mean anything but apart from pedantic twats, who would care less. I wasn't writing for The Lancet. What a beurkimage

Just to be clear, your statement has no factual basis and we all in no way start off as females in the ovary.  Less Lancet, more The Birds and the Bees for Dummies.

• I believe I posted it with a question mark. Inviting some right minded person to correct me or confirm it. As I said I wasn't writing for the Lancet and never claimed to be. So now I invite people to respond that a foetus in no way starts developing as a female in the ovary. I'm no expert but would be nice to hear from others who know better.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

a foetus will only develop in utero - until the stage of fertilisation, an egg and a sperm are simply gamete cells unable to live in isolation beyond a few hours.  they each carry a single (haploid) set of chromosomes which join up on fertilisation to create a diploid zygotic cell capable of growth and division due to now having both sets of chromosomes.

so foetal development can only be said to start when a totipotent (capable of division) zygotic cell is formed.

all foetuses are by "default" females as the Y (male) chromosome is what ultimately defines a male.  at around the 8th week of development an inherited Y  chromosome starts to influence the developement with the production of the male hormone testosterone which then influences cellular development of male characteristics.

however you can also argue that until that 8th week, the foetus (technically at that early stage a blastocyte) is neutral - neither male or female.  the presence or lack of the Y chromosome is what ultimately defines whether the foetus develops into a male or female.

HTH

• fat buddha wrote (see)

all foetuses are by "default" females as the Y (male) chromosome is what ultimately defines a male.  at around the 8th week of development an inherited Y  chromosome starts to influence the developement with the production of the male hormone testosterone which then influences cellular development of male characteristics.

HTH

The Buddha is wise and benevolent and I agree with all you say.

To address the original statement by Mr Sensitive I would reiterate that a child's sex will be determined, as you say, by the presence or absence of the Y chromosome and, therefore, the testes rather than the ovaries are the important sites for sex determination.  In summary, we start in the testes as much as in the ovaries.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Fergosi wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

HTH

The Buddha is wise and benevolent and I agree with all you say.

To address the original statement by Mr Sensitive I would reiterate that a child's sex will be determined, as you say, by the presence or absence of the Y chromosome and, therefore, the testes rather than the ovaries are the important sites for sex determination.  In summary, we start in the testes as much as in the ovaries.

nah - I'm a biochemist innit....  image

• So can you answer why men have nipples?

• Dull answer off elsewhere on internet below - if its a choice between men and women having nipples or men and women not having nipples then I'd go for both having nipples - breasts would be so much less interesting without a nipple to aim for image

Essentially, men have nipples because nipples are part of the basic human design option at conception.  While modern societies may view nipples as secondary sexual organs, in reality a fetus of either sex develops nipples within a few weeks of conception.  The human fetus actually develops several sets of nipples, much like other mammals, but only one set will fully mature in the womb.  At this point in a fetus' development, there is no genetic difference between male or female.  All fetuses develop nipples, chest muscles and milk glands. 

The situation does not change until the chromosomes which determine sexual characteristics have the opportunity to affect development.  This is the classic dividing line between females with the XX chromosome and males with the XY chromosome.  While the nipples themselves may appear on both male and female fetuses, it is the introduction of hormones such as estrogen and testosterone which determine whether or not those nipples and breast tissues will function or not.

There are very few scientific conclusions concerning the original purpose or function of male nipples.  Some human body parts, such as the wisdom teeth or appendix, did serve a real purpose for early human civilizations but have since become redundant or vestigial.  There is little evidence, however, that men ever fed their young from their own lactating breasts.

• Thanks SFF. I appreciate your answer. It's a bit like my short non internet answer that apparently has no basis in fact. Yours would look better in the lancet. Any malovelence, my friend SFF is not aimed at you. 

• SR - you are spooking me out!

I agree - apparently even three paragraphs of best medical science can be summed up by 'Noone knows why men have nipples - but we have nipples so that women can have nipples'

• Men have nipples so we have solid foundation on which to start the joke, my body has at least two good points...

• I've no idea why men have nipples.... but having just completed an unprotected long run, I really wish I didn't!

• I hadn't thought about nipple damage until I saw this thread and I mentioned it to my wife who suggested I used her nipple guards...large flower shaped slightly see through sticky pads which I duely wore 'cos this thread had scared me.  They worked a treat, no bleeding nipples for me.

I'm not off for a soak in the bath and perhaps some tequila to deaden the pain when I remove them...