UKIP

Comments

• jelly bean wrote (see)

UKIP..........one begins to understand just how Hitler managed to get into power.

I really don't think you have too much to worry about on that score. The only similarity between Hitler and Farage that I can come up with is that they both married a German, albeit briefly in Adolf's case as the Russian tanks rumbled in to Berlin. Sentimental old sod.

UKIP has also criticized the Tory policy of stop-and-search immigration checks.

http://www.ukip.org/newsroom/news/746-why-we-think-random-stop-and-check-immigration-operations-are-despicable

• I already understood how Hitler came into power. What Nigel Farage or UKIP had to do with it is a mystery. 

• It's easy to make bold statements but does he have a plan for achieving it? Sounds like headline grabbing to me.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I work for a company called something EXTREMELY similar to UKIP. As a result we get all kinds of mail addressed to Nigel Farage, never with a return address. Now, I suppose we could forward this stuff on but we prefer to have a good laugh and decorate our kitchen walls with it. It is funny.

For what it's worth, I don't think the man is pure evil. I think he's here to shake up british politics, and we need that. Just think about the names of our political parties: conservative; labour; liberal democrat - these words don't actually mean anything to anyone anymore and are as dull as their pallid policies.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Another Farage press conference with him holding a pint and a fag cause he's such a blokey bloke and most definitely not one of the political establishment. He knows what he's doing and he's good at it, I'll give him that...personally I find the whole thing pretty depressing.

•  

Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    Peter Everitt wrote (see)

It's easy to make bold statements but does he have a plan for achieving it? Sounds like headline grabbing to me.

These plain simple moves are all very easy to achieve, so I would say they are hardly headline grabbing

So how would you stop anyone who was HIV positive coming into the country?  test everyone at the airport?  And what's a valuable skill?  Anything that British people aren't prepared to do in sufficient numbers?  Lots of those don't require a lot of skill, just hard work for not a lot of pay.

• Well we might be short of doctors but not short of people to empty dustbins. 

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

We will be even shorter of doctors when UKIP stop them immigrating

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Latest from Nigel Farage - let's stop convicted Killers and HIV carriers coming into the Country, and allow people with a valuable skill in.

Well the man must be pure evil, or am I missing something 

Well I suppose the point is if you have a life threatening disease that is extremely expensive to treat why should that burden fall on the NHS.  That is hardly pure evil is it ?    

A fairer suggestion would be that people can come in if they a financial guarantor (insurance, personal finance, home country) that will pick up the bill or where there is a reciprocal agreement and the balance of immigration between the countries is roughly equivalent.   There are loads of countries that have restrictions on people with HIV - Germany, Canada, Australia for 3. 

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Snap! wrote (see)

IFor what it's worth, I don't think the man is pure evil. I think he's here to shake up british politics, and we need that. .

Worth it for this alone

Anyone who thinks the status quo is in any way acceptable must have a screw loose.

• Absolutely. Every song just sounds the same.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Heh, on the telly this morning they were interviewing someone about the Zimbabwe elections who said that Mugabe had said he would stand down if he lost.  The interviewer pointed out "well, that's pretty much what democracy means."

Hmm, like he did last time. image

Obviously you do not lean to the side of fairness, which is your right of course

Is that 'right' as in the opposite of left, or 'right' as in entitlement? image

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I know the current political mainstream figures are painfully underwhelming, but a braying fuckwit dressed as Basil Brush is rarely the solution. Nigel Farage still looks and sounds the same pied piper for the resentful and bigoted he did several years ago. What is it I'm not getting?
  • Nothing's changed JT, it's just worrying that people are beginning to listen to him.

There seems to be a load of regressive shit going on in the world at the moment.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

But the fact that people are listening to him might actually make the mainstream parties do something useful for a change. Or perhaps even encourage the growth of other parties. I'd hate for Michael Farage and UKIP to be in Government, but right now I'm glad he's here stirring up trouble.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I absolutely do get that. They make me just as mad. And I don't think you meant to capitalise Status Quo - you may have inadvertently lined a joke up for PC.

Peter Everitt wrote (see)

It's easy to make bold statements but does he have a plan for achieving it? Sounds like headline grabbing to me.

These plain simple moves are all very easy to achieve, so I would say they are hardly headline grabbing

They are plain and simple statements, not easy to achieve though unless you have some master plan to share? Testing for HIV is unlikely to be practical on arrival at an airport, think of the length of the queues? Heathrow airport alone last year had an average of 90000+ international passengers per day! And as for all the world's governments sharing data on their convicted criminals - not really going to happen. Farage is just picking hot topics with which to wind people up with to get votes with no intention of ever delivering.

• Playing Devil's advocate slightly but whilst it may not be simple to stop people with HIV or many other conditions entering the country if they wanted to access medical treatment on the NHS - which I assume is the concern - then it would be quite easy to say you didn't declare that on entry so you are going back.   

• Hmmm.... long queues on flights from Africa or having a HIV problem on the same scale as some of those African countriesimage Surely investigating the best way forward to prevent the spread of diseases like HIV, Ebola etc is something we should be doing. 

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Amusingly the Tories now have a Pakistani ex army captain as a perspective mP. he was on the tape the other night about how folks who want to conspire against the ik should be sent where they came from

when pushed on what would happen if the conspirators where born here he mumbled some nonsense about deporting them to wherever their parents came from. Conclusive proof that UKIP do not have a monopoly on stupid racist fuckwits.  

• I guess UKIP would have turned away Malala Yousafzai as "another foreigner seeking expensive treatment at the tax payers' expense"?

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Maybe. Though I'd waged they wouldn't have missed apple autocorrecting her name to 'malaria' when they tweeted about it

Very easy indeed, other countries apply these conditions already, we tend to have a liberal view and make it sound difficult to apply, this means the HIV carriers have limited destinations for free medical treatment, IE in the UK or similar, which means the last one to apply the conditions will cop for the lot, this would not be sustainable.

Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Hmmm.... long queues on flights from Africa or having a HIV problem on the same scale as some of those African countriesimage Surely investigating the best way forward to prevent the spread of diseases like HIV, Ebola etc is something we should be doing. 

What we should be doing is being proactive rather than reactive -  working with Africans  to help eradicate problems like Ebola and HIV at source.