Daily discussion: Run commuting

2»

Comments

• I've run to and from work a fair bit but at the end of the day doing it by bike has a lot of advantages: you can go further, carry a lot more and lack of showers isn't necessarily a problem if you take it easy on the way in and save the effort for the trip home.

• Maybe I'm a sweaty person, but even after an easy jog I'd need a shower!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Catalin Bond wrote (see)

Maybe I'm a sweaty person, but even after an easy jog I'd need a shower!

Same here!

• 26 miles each way - I'm not quite ready to lose the car. I tend to drive in early to beat the traffic then go for a run from work.

I did cycle commute to my last school - unfortunately stopped as the little cherubs found my non work clothes and scattered them round the school, and my bike kept getting vandalised.

• 26 miles each way - I'm not quite ready to lose the car. I tend to drive in early to beat the traffic then go for a run from work.

I did cycle commute to my last school - unfortunately stopped as the little cherubs found my non work clothes and scattered them round the school, and my bike kept getting vandalised.

• I run home each night. I jump the train into work and the run the 4 and a bit miles home. like a previous poster said, I need to get home anyway and in rush hour traffic it doesnt actually take much longer than in the car.

Plus, I get to have some quiet time and de-stress before I get home to the the kids and wife at the mad house!

i dont think i could find for midweek runs i didnt do it this way

• We have showers at work which people use when they run or cycle into work or go out and run or cycle at lunchtime.
    For me a run commute is pointless as I'm lucky that I work about a mile from work so it easier for me to either go for an early morning run or get home in the evening and then go back out.

• Yes, this is a good idea providing safety issues and shower/changing facilities are ok. I'd run/commute most days if I could, I think it is laziness which prevents me from doing so.

Running/cycling is environmentally friendly and saves time. Having access to a cycle path is obviously better than trying to run through a busy city or on narrow rural roads, especially during rush hour.

I car share with my husband who works 2 miles away from me. Ocassionally I pick him up, let him drive the car home & then I run the rest of the way (which is 6 miles).

As it's much lighter in the mornings now I will try & do the reverse too - i.e run the first 6 miles in & meet him at his workplace then drive the rest of the way to work.

As JS says above sometimes it is just as quick to run as it is to commute on public transport or drive & you get the benefit of a session out the way early.

• DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

I'd love it if I had showers etc

I fit in a pre-work run and I'm lucky enough to be able to walk into the office

D

• I did this for a while and stopped when I got injured.

My run was about 4K each way, I get the tube as well as I commute all the way across London but used to run the last bit to avoid changing trains.

Pro and cons I found were:

Pros:

• Great way to fit in a daily routine.
    • Got me home quicker as I could avoid changing trains.
    • Used to like just getting up and heading out (no shower etc)

Cons:

• No warm up time, straight into the run off the train (yes I tried ot start slow) and out of work.
    • I carry equipment to work (laptop etc) so backpack was heavy could take its toll on the calves.
    • Every day running is a stretch if your not used to it.
    • Showering at work was not as nice (not a big deal though)
    • Being tired at lunch time sometimes.
    • Clothes were creased by the time I got to work.
    • Running home and getting on the tube sweaty was not ideal.

Anyway I enjoyed it for the most part image

• I love running to/from work, interspersed with cycling days for rests as it saves a surprising amount of money and wear and tear on my car (assuming it's not at the garage) and it's faster and cheaper than riding the tram.

We have showers, but even if we didn't I mastered having a decent wash in just a basin when i lived in a barn conversion that just had a normal loo.

Some of my favourite runs have been when adding distance to my run by going through the city centre and passing people that had used the tram/bus and seeing their faces when they realise that I've got there just as fast under my own steam, and also the mild summer evening runs which end with me grabbing a cold beer out of the fridge and sitting in the garden with it whilst i get my breath back.

I often leave a couple of outfit changes and towel/wash bag under my desk, but even the times I've had to carry stuff in it's not too bad once you get used to it, especially if you've ever done anything like the paras 10 p-company challenge