PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• Ah but this time its an official Pirate race. Makes all the difference. image
  • Good point Cougie.... and I shall be there, crossing said finish line!! image

• Looks like this is going to be a brilliant race!  Lots of folk sailing with the ship image  I'm aiming for an IM later in 2014, but if it sells out in seconds and I miss out, and this isn't sold out by then, I may consider it.  Otherwise this could be a nice wee holiday in the sun, supporting image

• JP: it will be mine! I feel somewhat nervous but determined to train my ass off over the next year. image

• Ive just told my lovely wife to keep the diary clear, were going to France for a Nice camping trip next year image

• Thanks for the "quote" lessons...using a computer rather than a smart phone seems to help too.  Now I just need to add myself to another list to test out my new found skills...what else can I sign up for?

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

If youre looking your first Ironman to have the full on big race feel, exotic location, well established event, excellent organisation and great support, good weather then Nice has all that.

But are there any yellow elephants?

• Closest we're likely to get is a Mammoth Hypermarket, not sure if they have a branch that far south though image

• Mousey  ... best your name gets on that list Missus !!!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

*resolutely folds arms* image

It's impossible to do a list on a blinkin phone or ipad anyway, so I couldn't. Even if I wanted to. Which I don't. 

• We are not at home to Lil Miss Stroppy Pants  image

• I'm more than happy to add you to the list, Mouse. Just say the wordimage
  • Dont pander to her 'me me me' s   image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Actually I wore pants with mices on yesterday, which was rather fitting.

• i have swum in a lake. 

I am ready! 

•  

No going back now (gulp)

Participants:

Barley

Blisters

Cpt.Jacksparra

Cupcake

Ferret

funkin

Garr

GingerG

Goblin Princess

Higher Leap

Hope

Jamie Tardi

JP Goodboy

Little Sister

MedicGirl

Meldy

Mr Z

OrangeCannon

Raf

• Looks like it's going to be a GREAT event!

• I'm having a huge confidence crisis! Really sorry but I dont have any non pirate buddies who have done an ironman.  Is Nice doable for me?

My history: Sprint tris for a couple of years, one embarassingly slow marathon (5 30)

This season: 2 ODs booked (inc one with a sea swim) and a half ironman end of Sep. 

Training: Basically got loads of time so doing 12 hours ish a week. Can swim 3km, Cycle is 2.5 hours for long ride and 1.25 for long run. Have a lot of time over the next 12 months, so barring injury I can defo put in the hours. 

My fears: being too slow! I did a 3km river swim in 1.46 yesterday - horrified at thw time. Bike and run -similar. My sprint pb is 1.17 but I'm optermistic Im faster this season (will find out in 4 weeks!) 

• MedicGirl - You sound a lot futher along than me! I can only swim about 800m before dying, bike about 90mins and walk/run for 60mins. Any hill on a bike higher than a speed bump and I'm seeing stars, burning legs and can't breathe by the top.

How in the hell will I get up those mountains?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Still really scared! My OH is being fairly supportive but he thinks I'm insane for doing this. And 'm not even sure if he believes that I CAN do it!

• I approach all challenges from an extremely optimistic perspective so my persuasion should perhaps carry a health warning.

Its certainly not an easy challenge but with 12 months to prepare my opinion is that with time and commitment on your side you can do almost anything.

12 months is a long long time to prepare for an Ironman ‘finish’ and you’re not starting from scratch, you’ve some background in endurance events, 5.30 isnt a bad marathon time and shows youre used to spending time on your feet.  If youre already looking at doing a half IM in Sept, taking the step up to Ironman isn’t an insurmountable jump.

Perhaps accept youre going to be slow and take that as a benchmark to build on, over the winter you’ve lots of time to get some swim coaching and spend time on the bike to build your endurance.

Youre not in to dissimilar position to most people on here that set out on the Ironman journey.

The hurdles for Nice will be the sea swim & hilly bike:  Look to improve your swimming technique and make the most of open water swimming opportunities this year.  A good winters regular riding will do wonders for your cycle conditioning, every now and then look for some hillier rides, do some hill reps for a laugh and if you can try to lose a little weight which will also help your climbing.

Yes I think its doable but the rewards will only come if you put the work in.

• Something thats not been mentioned on this thread is the Pirate Mentors and Mentees.  No doubt this will be something people will be keen to continue for the build up to Nice.

Mentors and Mentees is about some of the more experienced people making themselves know as willing Mentors.  Its not intended as coaching as such but a means of providing more personal support, someone new people can use to lean on, ask silly questions and get support and guidance re training and preparation.

• Agree with that, you know exactly what is needed to finish and have nearly 13 months to be in a position to be able to finish. A lot of people have started from a far worse background. 

There's a huge sense of achievement waiting for you!

GingerG - they're hills, not mountains, there you go, easier already image

As various people have said over the years, whether you think you can complete or think you can't, you're probably right

• Thanks guys image 

I've actually got a swim analysis booked for Thursday! And my OH has total confidence in me because if I want something I go out and get it. 

Finishing and enjoying (at least some of it) is my aim. 

Thank you all. I just needed a pep up. I have that feeling of excitement again!

• Participants:

Barley
    Blisters
    Cpt.Jacksparra
    Cupcake
    Ferret
    funkin
    Garr
    GingerG
    Goblin Princess
    Higher Leap
    Hope
    Jamie Tardi
    JP Goodboy
    Little Sister
    MedicGirl
    Meldy
    Mr Z
    OrangeCannon
    Raf
    WildWill

• A lot of people have started from a far worse background. I'm one of them, I'm still learning to swim, I'm looking forward to the challenge, I originally planned to attempt my first IM in 2015, but I'm too impatient.

I'm looking forward to sharing training experiences for the next 12 months image

• Cupcake. wrote (see)

GingerG - they're hills, not mountains, there you go, easier already image

They look like mountains to me!!!

But thank you all for your kick up the butt... need to stop wallowing and get out there and train for it! image

Not before I figure out how to fix the flat tire on my bike... Do the RAC do breakdown cover on bikes?!?! image