PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• Bonjour Monsieur Spartan

I understand its 4pm at The Flower Market (?) in Old Town but open to correction on that if I am wrong ????
  • Think Meldy & Flyaway said the next square on from the flower market But I admit to not being fully switched on when they told me....

I'll listen for the noise
  • great racing everyone

Have fun at the booze up ... I mean award ceremony image

• Congratulations to all, sounds like a tough's day racing, well fought out.  Enjoy yourselves image

• Great report Magna Carter.  Sounds like a tough day all round.  Must be beer o'clock by now, surely?

• FerrousFerret wrote (see)

I should be in bed, yes I was there 14:02 unofficially- full report to follow

I looked twice for your name and couldn't find it....well done

and I didn't know Dermets name eitherimage

• MC.great report and well done on the race.seems like you had all weathers in one day.....

• Great racing one an all. Enjoy the beer.

MC great report

Lil Sis well done on the PB

• Where is the flower market?! 

• If you walk east along the Promenade, a little past where you initially entered to take your bike into transition (the old gits end of the bike transition) then there's a long wall with a few arched entrances.  The flower / veg market is the other side.

Alternatively, if you walk down the main road where all the trams are there is a fountain on the other side.  Go down the steps and along the road in front 200m, take a right and the flower market starts just on the left.

• Ok have goggled it, is it just loiter around till we see noisy people?

• If anyone is interested in what the conditions on the bike course were like, this pic taken yesterday sums it up nicely....

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s241/magnacarter/imagejpg1.jpg

Got rather 'interesting' on the steeper bendy bits!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • For anyone in the Ibis, we're meeting in the Ibis bar at 15:30 to catch a tram, rather than walk/shuffle!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • We are gonna try to enter Austria so may be a little delayed..... image

• Looks and sounds like a tough day at the office.  Chapeau to all competitors and finishers

• Chapeau to all the competitors whatever the pack of cards of luck dealt them and hearty congrats to the supporters too who I know will have worked bliddy hard as well!

Enjoy the day and hope the sun shines on your beer up - especially having seen that photo of the bike conditions........decidedly most un-Med like

• Well firstly my first outing on foreign soil with the Pirates and a great race with a great bunch of people

Getting there

The airline strike properly messed with my head as i wondered would it happen or not then a major tyre blowout on my way to the airport caused by a spanner???? Made me wonder if someone upstairs was giving me a hint.

Swim

The swim was a biffest fill stop and at the austrailian exit the first time bloody dangerous i top a very wide course so i could swim and not fight which although mafe for a much increased distance meant at least i could crack on. Time was 1:20 ish so ok with that

Got in the crowd waiting to get off the beach with Pingu we had some american woman bellowing at everyone to run where to? The stairs were a real pinch point i just relaxed and went with the flow

Bike

Through transition and on the bike smooth french road instead of the glorified farm tracks we have in cornwall meant i was cruising effortlessly at 25 mph on the flat then the road went up!

TBH i love hills and train on them all the time so felt strong throughout what i wasnt prepared for was the french sunny day turning into a bad rerun of that crap year at Bala! For some reason i had stuck some arm warmers in my pocket which turned into a lifesaver, i suffer from reynauds and it wasnt long before my hands were white, waxen and devoid of feeling which made measured control of the brakes difficult.
  • Well done everyone. Yesterday was a tough day out there with the weather dealing an especially harsh blow for you all.I couldn't believe the rain and then thunder!!! Crazy!

Commiserations and hugs to those who didn't make it or who

had to make tough decisions. With all the best preparation in the world IM race day will always be unpredictable and a bit of an untameable monster.

I had a great day supporting. It really is something else to see you guys out there. Without exception your grit and determination impressed me and I had a lump in my throat and blinky eyes more than once!

I can't help but be mega proud of Garr for finishing. He really suffered on the run. He will definitely be training for Austria!

Having raced 3 Ironman races myself it was good to have the supporting experience. It really made me appreciate the times some of you have been there for me all over again! The last 90 mins were pretty stressful lol, so I can really empathise and am hugely impressed for the partners, husbands and wives, kids, parents, friends who year after year support their loved ones through the incredible experience of achieving their Ironman dream! You lot are ACE!

Mrs.Symes, Mrs. Funkin, Meldy and Baby Pingu - thanks for keeping me calm when I was fretting!

Pirates rock and then some!!
  • Without the armwarmers i would have really struggled on the descents the amount of wipeouts and ambulances made me cautious but Good old stealthy and his Vittoria tubs stuck to the road like glue image off the final descent the flatish run in to Nice was fast snd furious to make up for lost time i seemed to be passing herds of people image

I would like to think T2 was slick but in reality i probably dithered like Mrs RBM clothes shopping. Out onto the run the music and support got the hairs on the back of the neck standing the plan was to take it steady snd run the lot i was having a great run lapping up yhe support from the pirate crew and Siggy futher out on the course the tun was going great until i pulled up with mega cramp right in front of the pirate crew image . I then had to mince/gimp walk until i could run again, i then frlt the urge to sprint not cause i could smell the finish but stomach cramps nessessitaed a emergency pitstop the portaloo i chose resembled that toilet from trainspotting, it looked like they had reversed a diaretic elephant into it but i was past careing. Job done back out into fresh air and on with the last for miles where a series of leg cramps meant a run walk once i realised 12:30 had gone i really eased off and enjoyed the final few miles and aimed for 12:45 spent so much time faffing sightseeing and arrring that i only just made it for a 12:44:58 image

Overall mega happy with that given the conditions in the dry it would have been a lot quicker but hey ho you deal with what you get on the day image

Definately a year off IM next year image
  • Good reports MC and RBM!

Just a thought about the meeting place later.  France are playing Nigeria today and the Flower Market has several large TV's placed around it!  That *may* interrupt our planned festivities a tad!

• Here's a link to a video of some of the pirate finishers and then a few of the people from the final hour.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1enfQ7FbHSo

• I'm at the market now I misjudged the time it would take to walk here !! Give me a bell if anyone is about ? 0seven721630430

• Top bombing all. Lil sis, if its under 17 hours, it counts as far as I am concerned!

Raynauds is shit, especially on a bike. Hope it came back shortly into the run after repeated windmills...

• Oh god Funkin that's made me all emotional, that's fab!

• The thought of you guys slogging your way up the Nice climbs kept me going when the road headed upwards in Austria. 

Well done all 

• I don my hat to all of you who finished yesterday ( and have done it previously ) despite only doing 67km of the bike it was without doubt the hardest 67km I've ever done ! You all have my upmost respect 

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Message from Meldy:

There's a road something like Rue Louis Gassin off that road is a square with two very evident bars. Meet there at 4pm. 

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Thank you Seren. Was just coming to do that!!!