PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Seren thanks for the top updates.

Hats off to everyone for fantastic performances whether you finished or not.

• so ..who won the awards image

• Well done to everybody who took part in either Nice or Austria, looks like some pretty tough conditions at times! Bad luck to those who didn't make it for whatever reason, especially Meldy, I hope they find your bike real soon love. Hats of to Lil Sis for finishing and a huge marathon PB, awesome! Pirates rock. It 'almost' made me want to do another.... but only 'almost'. I shall remain in retirement! image

And wot Seren says.... awards list please! image

• KK, I can confirm that the turnaround point did indeed honk of piss.  The portaloos half way along the run course weren't smelling too fresh either image

• Carefull kk....

i know youve done Nice but conditions on sunday were interesting to say the least.... the further back you were the worse it was.

I have never seen such fit 16 hr IMs as at the finish on sunday. Everyone coming in off rhe bike after 6.5 to 7 hours had anything they could find on... including gillets (in an IM!), arm warmers, waterproof tops, bin bags etc.

This thinned it out a lot. I just had to descend the last 300m in the heavy rain but lost my rear wheel a couple of times.... im a happy MTB er so am happy with the rear wheel stepping out.... its a different story when it happens at 10 kph around a bend that should be no problem at all.... scary scary.
  • Race report... beat done whilsf being drunk i recon. Ob a phone so so forgive the typos

Swim

I've been shit at swimming this year. Struggled to hit 2 sessions a week so overall i should be happy with a 4 min slowdown from my previous best. 1:10 ish on the day ao happy with that

ffs

I started behind the 1:06 crowd, but let them go as i am a bit shit this year. As a eeslt i had a great trouble free swim.... for 300m till the first bouy. Then all thowe bastards in the 1:10 section, who startwd too quick, piled into the 10m around the bout. There was no room. Fought may way tjough ina polite britsh manner (after you sir) until we hit the next bouy. Same story so fuck this, just swam in a straight line and over(ish) anyone in the way. In reality that meant getting pisswd off with anyone cutting accross me, and lwttong thwm know a little.

However, 500m out and my goggles were steamed up and i could not see any bouyes... never mind the swell.... pulled in behind the first red bouy and cleanwd the goggles...

No more people swimming accross me.... (or was that me going the wrong way before... nah
  • Carried on going and the rest of the swim.just happened.

Random thoughts....

fuck this is scary

Ahhh nice open water....

I can see more than 3 m!

Wheee the fuck am i going

Need to swim more

T1. Wtf lets all queue to get up to t1.??? Shouldnt we be running up the big 3k wide ramp?. No lets all queue for 2 mins to go up 10 steps that were 1m wide. I suspwct a sheep style fuck up. I saw the ramp but thought it was blocked with a nive merc3des van (rhe sponser)... doh!

Took my time, socks,shoes,hr strap, number belt, bike top etc on. Trot off.

Grab bike and off to the start line. Ran 50m untill clear of the carnage and jumped oon with a flying leap and away i went

I use mtb pedals so can run in my shoes. eveyrone else waddles to the start in their bike shoes, or bare feet then takes 30 m to sway from side ro side trying to gwt their feet into their peddles.... ffs. Ban them!
  • OK, Awards were held and in no particular order I can confirm the following recipients received something!!

1.  The Bambi Award to the most Piratey Pirate went to

... Capt Jack Sparrow!

2.  The 'Baggage Hunters' award for the lost baggage in a simple route from Thiefrow to Nice went to....  well there was only one nomination!  Meldy!

3.  The 'Punchbag award' or better known as 'Crap swimmer' award (so I guess it must be true image) Prince Siegfried

4.  The Lost in Translation (Transition) Award went, after a vote, to the runaway winner ... Dermot!  (in excess of 12 minutes for one transition! Apparently, he was having his eyebrows waxed!)  image

5.  The Grumpiest Pirate Award ... note this is still not as grumpy as Holly at 'Outlaw 2012' when the benchmark was set and she was associated with the Penguin covered in oi,l went to .... Captain Pikard aka Orange Cannon.  Slightly unfairly it was suggested!!  ;)

6.  Smiliest Pirate as evidenced by the photos.. Pingu

7.  Best male supporter in a lead in role went to ... Major Disaster!

8.  Best female supporter went to Baby Pingu.

9.  Best Young supporter and we're not talking A, B or C cups here went to Adam, son of BH Flyer.  If you see the photos, you'll understand!!!

10.  The hotly contested 'Best Novive' Award the most Piratey Pirate went to..., not only on the event, but throughout the build up, ..... Magna Carter

However, the biggest award for the weekend for the 'Gladys' or rather the 'Mince Award' went to a final 'Mince Off' and was very keenly contested between:-

Barley (outsider)
    Ferret (bookies choice)
    Symes (considered a good bet, but a dark horse all depending upon the 'going')
    Golden Boots (outsider, but considered to be a good choice if only due to the 'smell' of those boots!)
    Captain Pikard aka Orange Cannon (outside chance)

Following the 'Mince off' outside the steps to the 'Palais du Justice' there was the usual 'vote' and it was agreed that the 'Dark Horse' had won it at a canter!  So, much to Gladys' relief, Symes was declared the winner of the Mince Off!  

Pirate Shields:-

Quickest Male Pirate:  Funkin

Quickest Female Pirate: Flyaway

Most Improved Pirate (In a group of only two) Coach Barlos

There is another award, but I can't remember who won it or what it was!!  Barlos will know or failing that Schmunkee!

• Carried on going and the rest of the swim.just happened.

Random thoughts....

fuck this is scary

Ahhh nice open water....

I can see more than 3 m!

Wheee the fuck am i going

Need to swim more

T1. Wtf lets all queue to get up to t1.??? Shouldnt we be running up the big 3k wide ramp?. No lets all queue for 2 mins to go up 10 steps that were 1m wide. I suspwct a sheep style fuck up. I saw the ramp but thought it was blocked with a nive merc3des van (rhe sponser)... doh!

Took my time, socks,shoes,hr strap, number belt, bike top etc on. Trot off.

Grab bike and off to the start line. Ran 50m untill clear of the carnage and jumped oon with a flying leap and away i went

I use mtb pedals so can run in my shoes. eveyrone else waddles to the start in their bike shoes, or bare feet then takes 30 m to sway from side ro side trying to gwt their feet into their peddles.... ffs. Ban them!
  • Ican start to see why i won my award.

Fuck

Out on the bike. oops hr at 176. Slow down

Cruised to the first hill overtaking a ton of people. Then up the hill.... and i went backwards... wtf

Probably went a little hard for the next couple of hours..on the flats/ easy hills power was spot on (220ish) but the hr sat at 160. Tried to ride easy but as soon as i pushed to a normal training ride level (200) the gr just shot up.

Hit the 20k hill and i had nothing.

It was all i could do to maintain my normal flat road power... (220)

I normally have a power cap of 300w to stop me exploding my legs... i could not hit that for love or money

I decided to keep my hr down(to 160!!) And just crawl up the hills.

I was shit

In comparison i did the deagon ride 3 weeks ago - 8 hrs at an average 10w higher but a hr of 149 instead of 159 fo 5:35. I hated the feeling of being crap

On a positive not i did pass golden boots, but it took me 2 goes as he first promptly overtook me again on the next hill.

Finally enjoyed myself on the flats up the top and espwcially on the flaf in the middle of the final decent, then the finaflatl 20k. Back ro my flat power targates and started overtaking again.

Been ill for a vouple of weeks with a stomach bug.... so assume thats the problem...otherwise i am now crap on thw hills when i used to love them. I hammered the dragon ride so....
  • Fucking phone keyboard /7 pints!

Random bike thoughts

I am crap

Why havnt i overtaken funkin yet

I am crap

Why did i use that borrowed track pump to inflate my tyres. How many psi is 12 bar?

Why doea it feel like i am riding on ice.... in the dry

Oh goody its raining

Ohhhhh overshot that corner.... repeat *5. Nice there was no car coming

Stay upright... stay upright.... tarmac ia hard

Fuck its wet

No more torq black cherry gels... ever. I barfed on thwm last year at lanza so bought 10 banana gels for that race instead. Hoped absence would make thwm taste better. Hmmmm

Hammered into t2 despite almost losing it on a zebra crossing. losing the rear wheel at 40kph on the flat was a little disconcerting.

T2. Way too many bikes there. Lots of fast people in this race....

Took my time (draining the chair first), changed my top for a monaco, feesh socks, rrainers on, grab sunnies (in the rain)s
  • Run... survival time for me

walk 100m, run 900m repeat 42 times.

Its fun this IM business

Since i now dont run much, (2 easy 5 ks a week; and a 90 min run 2 weeka out) consistent 6:00min ks were the order of the day.... with my ewgular walk breaks/walking bits of the aid stations. Anything below the 4:45 i did last year would be good.

It felt..... fine.

Shouted at funkin lots - he waved then i humphed as goldwn boots shot by me. Then flyaway.... just carried on trucking and grabbed bands and slowed a little as it got hard. It got very hard. Lap 3 was surprisingly ok, out on lap 4 was hard.

Random run thoughts

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Just want this to end

Go pirate!!!!

2 banana halfs per 5k.... err thats 17 bananas in the marathon. Better swap to orange segments

I have eaten too much sugar

I need more real food

Coke please - more coke

Wtf are those cyxlists in winter kit coming ib off rhe bike... who carries winter in in a mediteranean IM

Fuck my feet hurt

Oh goody, the rains stopped and the suns come out

Yay mouse is in

Sigi... you are bonkers in such a nice way. Thanks for being up the road in the quiet bit. It helped a lot

Then it all got better. I started running though the shower (last lap promise....IM is such fun)...staryed overtaking people and pixked ip tjough town...past the awsum pirate posse (mexican waving as opposed to mexican't)....then into the finnish shoot. Pleasently suprised with a sub 11:30.

Being crap is reletive

It hurts everyone

. Some people juat have to put up with it for 15 hours... no idea how you do that

Ive already signed up for austria

This race report has given me a hangover

I hate my phone
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Brilliant report OC image

• Ah, so this is why Harry Wiltshire didn't finish the bike....

https://twitter.com/harrywiltshire/status/483266672133144577

• It must have been all the beer we saw him buy on Friday....

Seriously, looks nasty. Report sort of written in my head, will have to wait for sobriety and a proper keyboard !
  • loved the report OC......image

ouch.i bet there is a few of those piccies around hearing about the conditions

•  I like the extra phone and award winning comments in the report OCimage  Has had me chuckling over my morning coffee!

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Great stuff, OC!

On a totally different subject, Siggy I think you forgot the award for the most inebriated race report...image

• Another good trip away with the Pirates. As usual greatly enhanced by the support team. Great effort to keep the enthusiasm going all day.

i am sure that the swim from hell has been well documented already. I can safely say that in seven starts this was the most difficult for the longest time. I also know that we are very polite but forming an orderly queue to get up a narrow staircase after the swim was not wholly expected. As holder of the naff transitions award I will not dwell on this.

Great bike course until it rained on the descent. Very tricky and everyone will have had to slow down. I thought that the forecast was 27degrees even if it rained. Absolutely freezing with wet and wind chill. Unfortunately there were some fallers, I hope that all those I saw being carted away are safe and sound.

Another hugely successful transition, where does the time go to?

Very limited run training and so expectations were low setting out on the run and these low expectations were duly met by the middle of lap 2. Thanks to funkin without whom I might have ground to a complete halt and all the others who were so encouraging.

Pulled myself together with about 15 km to go. I find that it is on the run that the support really helps, thank you even if I did not appear grateful at the time!

Finish in 12.39.xx, which given the rain etc  ( and the time spent in transition) was a result I am very happy with.

To be crystal clear about this : I HAVE NOT SIGNED UP FOR AUSTRIA. I plan to come and support.

Great to see some old faces and to meet new Pirates. Thanks to all for making it a great trip.

• and another pirate holiday comes to an end ..... Looking forwards to next year !!

• Loved my first foreign sailing with the ship thank you one and all for a great time image
  • Yep, i'll second that.... a truly awesome bunch of people to experience Ironman with... thank you one and all, competitors and supporters alike.... you are all inspirational!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday