PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

It was lovely to meet you MC, albeit not for long. Equally great to catch up with old friends and meet new pirates. 

• I stuck all the photos Sue took on the PSOF Facebook page.

Feel free to tag away and copy any you want.

Caption competition ?

Pingu and Max running together on a Sunday morning all dressed in rubber and looking flushed ..............................

Great time away as always

See you all soon.... I'll get on with my report now

• found a dodgy photo on facebook of my new running style.   

oh dear

• Made it home!!! Zzzzzzzzz......... Thud!!
  • OrangeCannon kona-6 wrote (see)

found a dodgy photo on facebook of my new running style.   

oh dear

There's another dodgy one in my pics OC image

• hee hee.... your pic is even dodgier than Daves!

I think we got the mincing award wrong..... image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

Well, that sailing was a little fraught with travel issues wasn't it? Finally home...!

Still fecking orsum though image Thanks to my fellow Sherpas for a super day on Sunday and thanks to all of you racers (who are clearly mad in the head!) who make it possible for us to have an excuse to stand by the side of the road and cheer on. You are amazing. To even get to the start line is a huge thing - and watching your efforts fills me with pride. One of my favourite places is the IM finish line. 

Funkin is in the middle of a race report, which was started during the 3 hour flight delay yesterday...he may be some time!

Recover well everyone. 

• Race Report - Ironman Nice – Awesome! 

Preamble wobbly bits.  

So as usual I swore I wasn’t going to go long this year … then proceeded to watch the entry numbers increase for Nice, wobbled and got my credit card out …and then regretted it because I didn’t really fancy another spring ‘lost’ to long bikes and run.  Anyhoo, I did get into the spirit of things and by May was really looking forward to it.  The flight situation with the Frenchies striking the week of the race was hugely stressful and a lot of time was spent checking the CheesyJet webpage to see if the flight had been cancelled.   In the end however I was lucky and my flight wasn’t impacted.

• The morning. – Race plan-enjoy it!! 

Baby Pingu and I met Little Sister and SIBobby in the foyer to walk down to transition, there are an interesting mix of party people and Iron people wandering around at 5am on day morning. 

Got into transition and stuck some food on the bike squidged the tyres (they seemed ok) and couldn’t really think of much else bike faffage related to do so decided to get into the water for a warm up.  Hmm.  I got stuck in a rubbery people crush queuing to get to the sea which was quite unpleasant as I couldn’t see much over all the shoulders and it wasn’t moving.  It took 15 mins to get 100m to the water by which point they were calling everyone out!  Sod that,  I jumped in for a quick splash anyway.

• The swim 

The water is warm a beautiful blue and I was really looking forward to this swim.  The claxon thingy went off, yay, everyone into the water … oh hang on, there are 2800 other swimmers wanting to swim in the same small bit of water.  Christ, it was the worst swim I’ve ever had.  Mental note for next time I do this, swim wide.  I didn’t do much swimming, more a version of doggy paddle with my head out of the water.  I think Ironman are going to have to move to wave starts before someone gets seriously injured.  But anyway, enough rant, swim was as horrid as a horrid thing but I still managed just over my usual time which surprised me due to the lack of actual swimming. I got out of the water with Ridgebackmax which was great and seeing as we were stuck there in another rubbery people jam had a bit of a rant about the biffiness of the swim.

Transition 1 

Uneventful really.  I normally try to do this super speedy but just got my wetsuit off stuck some bike shoes and helmet on and was off!

• The Bike 

Ahhh, the bike.  I loved loved loved the bike course.  The plan was to enjoy it and not push it, the first 10 miles are pretty uneventful.  Flat smooth road, was over taken a lot which I’m used to because a lot of the speedy bike boys are crap swimmers image 

At 12 milish you get the 12% hill.  And it is a steep one, but it’s short and sweet and over pretty quick.  At the top a passed Barlos, I did shout Oi Barlos, but he was too busy shouting Allez Allez at anyone that would listen!   Not long after was passed by Dermot, Ben and Ridgeback (who must have spent ages in transition!!) , so friendly shouts and they were off. 

I think a combination of having trained of much much steeper hills at home and having a new cassette put on the bike meant I loved these French hills!  I have never passed so many cyclists in my life.  It was a weird experience.  I had lots of banter with other cyclists, mainly about them getting chicked.  The descents are fun too, not too steep, there are big switch backs which you need to respect and I did see one guy come off which was horrid.

The views on the course are stunning and there are lots of lovely little French villages stuck to the sides of the mountains.  I did a lot of sightseeing.

I do think we got lucky with the weather in some respects, it was cloudy and cool on the ascents rather than blazing sun.  However .. as others have said, omg, the rain storm .. I was at the top of the mountain when it got into full swing about to go down the biggest (I think) descent.  I got so cold that I shook so much that the bike was rattling under me.  My fingers were so numb I couldn’t tell if my fingers were on the brakes.  The road was slippy and my brakes wet.  And the drop at the edge of the road was fucking massive.  It was shitting terrifying.  I was glad to see other cyclists respecting the conditions.  I don’t know how long the descent was as my garmin got stuck at 84 miles but I reckon it was a good half hour, brrr, scary.   Anyway, as I got lower and lower I could feel the temp getting warmer and by the time I was on the flat section going back towards transition I’d warmed up again.  Cycling back towards transition you cycle past all the gazillion runners already on the course and I couldn’t help noticing that the run course outty bit seemed an awful long way … 

Transition 2 

Again not too eventful.  Took my time had a chat to a couple of girls I came in with about getting hypothermia on the bike!

• The Run 

Still with ‘enjoying’ it firmly in mind I set off for run.  Now I normally fall apart on the run so with this in mind I’d trained a 13 min run, 2 min walk and the aim was to stick to it as long as pos.  Not far out from the start of the run were the pirates … awesome image  How do people do IM without the pirates?!  Further down the course was a certain Mr Siggy shouting abuse, sorry support,  which was fab, well done Siggy, top pics too. 

The first half of the run went ok.  But yet again I’d been a nobber had not thought my run nutrition out, so about then I could feel the start of the dodgy gut kicking in.  I managed to get to about mile 16 before I was down to walk a bit stagger a bit and then made the decision to walk the rest.  I love these out and back runs because you get to see everyone!  Golden Boots, Funkin, OC and Flyaway all close to finishing and looking fab!  Lots of waving and shouting at Garr, LS, MC, Bobby, Dave, Ferrot and Symes.   (Sorry for those I’ve forgotten!)

For the last lap Baby Pingu walked with me which was great, the 4th lap is one too many!  We worked out I was close to a sub 14 finish!  Wtf!  I had no idea how that had happened but it might involve having to run to actually make it.  Tbh I wasn’t that bothered but I was MADE to run in order to!  How rude!  I say run, for the last half mile all I could manage a 30 sec run, 30 sec walk but then suddenly was on the finish shoot and the adrenaline kicked in for a run finish!  13.58, wasn’t expecting that! 

Endy bit 

Finishing in the light meant I could join in with the pirates at the finisher shoot which just finishes the day off perfectly, the atmosphere is awesome. Thanks so much to the pirates for all the support.  Special mention to Meldy and the missing bike.  Handled with the coolest of composure and turned into a super supporter instead.

• Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

LOLers Pingu image "Finisher Shoot" - remind me never to do an IMimage

I do love a race report, keep 'em coming guys, it's distracting me from chores! 

• Massive congrats to everyone who raced at the weekend - I'm loving reading your race reports - so glad my event doesn't have 2800 people! image That sounded terrifying!

Rest and recover well! image

• Mrs Funkin wrote (see)

LOLers Pingu image "Finisher Shoot" - remind me never to do an IMimage

• Great reports guys and gals.  I should be running this morning, but I'm sure that reading these counts as training.

• Mrs Funkin the support crew is the best bit of the pirate shipimage thanks to you and all the rest for your sterling efforts over a very long day

You gotta love the pirate support crewimageimage

Great report Pinguimage

• Got the day off today all kit has been unpacked and cleaned the good old Stealthy Bugger has been cleaned, polished and lubed (ooo errr missus!) As a treat for getting me safely down the mountainimage. I am now off to the seaside (Looe) for a paddle and fish n chips with daughter, its not the south of France but hey ho its boiling hot so it'll doimage

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Well done all pirate and Pingu, I hope one day to have a race as fun as yours sounds.

• Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

Great reports guys and gals.  I should be running this morning, but I'm sure that reading these counts as training.

and me.

I'm loving reading these reports

• I'm trying to write my report, read others, enjoy the "debate" on FB...

And my boss thinks I should be working.. But as he hasn't even asked how I got on, He's a long way back in the queue

• Ah my boss moved my marathon medal out of the way on my desk to sit down and ask me something worky. No mention of the race at all. But that wasn't even an Ironman,
  • Loved reading that Pingu. Great report

• Excellent report. Back at work today after the joys of the flight of doom yesterday and getting home way too late... means I'm not that productive today.

Will write up my report this evening hopefully!

Top bombing all!!

• Well done everyone - that bike course sounds a might squiffy!  Great report Pingu image

• The Race

As anyone who knows me, knows there is no point me getting up at 4 am and eating, as I just get sea sick and throw up. So a mug of coffee and stroll down to T1 at 5am was fine, Checked the tyres and stuck my bottles on the bike, and sat and watched the water for a bit.

Down on to the beach, Very helpful Italian yanked up my wetsuit zipper, and pulled the runner right off the top so it went into quick release and I had to strip it off to set it up again, Had a splash about in the shallows with M.ouse and Little Sister. Watched the Pros set off and then bang. it’s our turn, I’ve been in some biff fests but this one was a nightmare, swimming over, being swum over didn’t get any clear water on the first lap, Out and over the beach to get back in, managed to get a decent space and started to enjoy myself, until at the last turn buoy I managed to swim over a jellyfish, Didn’t see it but the left side of my face felt like I had a thousand hot pins stuck in it, (Even now on Weds I can’t shave over it as it’s still swollen and sore), Staggered out onto the beach and up the ramp to transition, (1hr 35m 20sec, a great swim for me) Spotted Sue and she had a quick look at my face, Could tell from her reaction it wasn’t good. Dived into the medical tent and 2 paramedics and 1 Doctor stood around looking at it, going Ah jelly fish….. Finally another Doc put some antihistamine cream on it, whilst make jokes about “dopage” Funny guy.

T1, I wish I could do the swim and bike and run in the same kit (I do for half’s, But not for IM), so stripped off and stuck on my good cycle shorts and Pirate top, and the covered myself in factor 50, decided I didn’t need my arm warmers, so jumped on the bike and set off down the prom, got chatting with the guy alongside, and it turns out he lives less than 20 minutes from me back in Cheshire. Finally left the flat of the prom and turned up into the hills, and boy did it turn up, little residential street at 10% just to wake the legs up. Feeling good tho and pressed on, long climb up to Chateauneuf and turn right for the climb to Gourdon, We drove this a couple of years back and the hired Corsa struggled ! Felt I had been climbing OK, Face still very sore and stung like mad every time it got wet, Reached Gourdon and turned left for the Col de l’Ecre… EEEk You can see the road zig zag up the mountain, Still being a fat old bloke allows me to ride a triple with a 30 sprocket, Just keep turning the pedals, around this time a few drops of rain started to come down, Hadn’t been much sun to that point but now things turned nasty. Long flat section through a valley, starting to pour with rain and  getting cold, Couldn’t open my power bars, Fortunately following my test at Bala I had emptied all my gels into a bidon so at least I wasn’t struggling to open gels every 30 minutes, Thanks to Rosey for the tip. The long descent to Greolleres would have been fun, if I wasn’t getting so cold. struggled braking, My fingers slipping off the levers and no feeling as I braked, all got a bit scary.  The section through the village itself went past a little bistro we had lunch at a couple of years back, All I really wanted now was hot coffee, began to look forward to the next climb to try and get warm, Stopped for a pee and a nice Gendarme arrived on his motorbike to check I was OK. So I got him to tear open all my power bars whilst he was stopped ! The out and back bit was fun and managed to shout encouragement and helpful comments to other Pirates, I knew I wasn’t going as fast as I had hoped, and around this time seriously doubted I would make the cut off, Had a talk to myself and decided to just go for it on the next 20kms of downhill, Scary stuff.. 

• Managed to catch my tame Gendarme through a set of hairpins as I was quicker than his motorbike (EEEK), Sadly for lots of competitors their races came to an end around this point, kept passing stricken cyclists being tended too by medics and a stream of ambulances coming past, One of the aid stations all the helpers were sat in the back of a large truck, Reminded me of the famous day at Bala. Still pouring with rain and bits of low cloud making sighting the road difficult in places and I admit to taking a few silly risks cornering on very wet roads and hoping to come out the other side.  Finally made it out of the hills and onto the flat for the last 20 kms to Nice, managed to chew on a power bar and a banana or 2 from a feed station. Back onto the prom and… Bright sunshine and a clear blue sky, past all the runners on the marathon course and towards T2, Pirate massive cheering me in. 8hrs 04m for the bike, almost an hour more than I was hoping for, But it was what it was and it was so close to disaster, just be thankful you are back into T2 in 1 piece and with about 6 hours to do the marathon in.

Not sure what happened in T2, just didn’t seem to be able to get my fingers or brain to do what I wanted and put my shoes on before 1 calf guard, all a bit messy, and longer than T1 where I had the excuse of the medical stop. Plodded out onto the run and straight into the massed Pirate support, Where thankfully Sue retied a shoe lace for me, and Dawn straightened out my calf guards.  Plodded along the prom, feeling OK but not great, decided a loo stop was in order. I must now apologise to anyone who used it after me, and to the poor person who had to empty it, But wow did I feel so much better, started to actually run the marathon, which considering my longest runs this year have been Helsby 4 Villages and Bala HIM it was always going to be a grim run. Just before the turn Siggy shouting vocal encouragement (or was it something about me being slow ?) took me a while to work out he was in civvies and not racing, Sadly the swim biff fest had got him. Stop Press moment, at the turn round point I had my first ever Red Bull Me at my age and never had Red Bull before, Back onto the prom from the airport and Sue had run up to support and leave the Pirates by T2 to keep me going at that end, Had a quick word and one step in front of the other, Lots of Pirates to abuse/encourage on the run, Ghost giving loads of support at the turn around and then past the Major orchestrating the Pirate Wave (it’s like a Mexican wave, But with added yellow & black). Second lap seemed to go really easily, Not fast but quick enough and the time cut off was no longer an issue. Heading back to start the final lap Sue ran alongside to keep me company, Well I sort of ran and she jogged alongside, She had even found time to get medical help for 2 collapsed competitors whilst keeping an eye out for me, She went off to find a place at the finish line leaving me to my final 10km lap. The weather decided to have one last laugh, with spectacular lightning flashes over the hills. Last turn at the airport and 5kms down the prom, the lights and noise of the finish line away in the distance, one foot in front of the other mate and it will be the comfy sofa next to Fat Buddha.

• I don’t think I have experienced a wall of noise that hit me as I turned onto the finishing carpet, having been running alone for 30 minutes in the gathering gloom to suddenly be hit by the noise and the dancing girls, cheers leaders etc was really disorienting for a moment, Great cheers from the Pirates hanging over the rails and a quick stop to say thanks, Then another few yards and Sue hanging over the barrier, Massive hug and a promise that it is the end of going long for me, Then 10 yds and over the line. Medal and a bottle of water, The organisers then tried to take the bottle off me so they could take some finish photos, that I am unlikely to buy, But hey if it makes them feel good.

Wandered over to collect my street bag and pull on the Iron Spartan T shirt again, Wandered through transition trying to answer text messages from those who had been following and also talk to Sue, Difficult as I hadn’t got my specs on. Collected my bike, and even tho I keep lusting after Cervélo R3’s my trusted Trek 1500 ASLR hadn’t let me down for a moment. Strolled out of transition chatting with Barlos, back down the road towards the finish line with “TimeBikes” and his family just in time for the fireworks to signal the 16 hour time limit had been reached. Joined all the Pirates still waiting back at the finish line, and swap stories of how we had all faired. Sue even had a bottle of beer for me in her rucksack she had been carrying around for hours as well as my camera to record proceedings.

Monday morning and I left Sue to have a run down the prom on her own, whilst I packed the bike away ready for travel, The rest of the afternoon was taken up with the Pirate award ceremony, the prizes, tall tales to be told, and of course the most hotly contested event of the whole weekend, You thought the IM was the big event ?,  wrong The Pirate Mince Off is far more important (Sorry, You had to be there)

Yet again a great trip, and a stunning event, Had everything, scenery, weather (good and bad), great racing and best of all great mates to share it with.

No one fails at an IM, The effort to get to the start line defeats most, To be unable to start because a well-known airline has “misplaced your bike bag” wouldn’t have had the laid back attitude Meldy gave it from some of us, Some sadly crashed, fortunately without serious injury to person or machine, and some didn’t beat the cut off (No failure in giving it everything tho)

Everyone has a tale or 2 to tell, and of course some of what happens in Nice, Stays in Nice !