Marathon Nutrition

I'm doing my second marathon next weekend, which is about 1 month after my first.

I'm still a bit concerned over my nutrition strategy as I hit the wall quite badly at 18 miles last time and my splits dropped by over 1 minute per mile for the last 6 miles.

I'd taken high 5 iso gels every 4 miles and added a few jelly babies in the last few miles. I'd tapered and carb loaded in textbook style.

I've read loads of articles but nothing has really stood out that I could have done differently. I'd thought about runny honey in a gel flask, but when I tried it last weekend found it too sweet ( and I love honey).

My stomach also felt bad after the marathon and I thought that I was going to be sick.

Any suggestions for an alternative that I can try beforehand?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    By the sounds of it nutrition may not have been a problem. Hitting the wall is more likely to be down to bad pacing or poor training.
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Millsy. That could be true but I was careful to hang back and my splits were very consistent for 18 miles. I'd done plenty of training including several 20 milers without feeling this bad and most of them were done without any nutrition.

However it was my first full marathon, so it could be something to do with my lack of experience over 20 miles.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If I feel sick after its usually from taking on too much rather than not enough.
  • That amount of gels would be more than enough for me.

What pace did you run your long runs at ?

Maybe you were fatigued ?
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

It could well be due to me 'over gelling'. Normally I'd do my long runs first thing in the morning after one slice of toast. I may take a gel or two during a 20mile run, but was worried with it being my first marathon that I need to keep taking gels, even if I didn't feel that I needed them.

Maybe I'll take it a bit easier with them this time. I did my LSR's at about 30secs slower than my marathon pace.

Maybe I was just knackered and it was nothing to do with the gels, I was just hoping for a silver bullet, after all its easier to take a few gels than do more training !

• Sounds to me like you were knackered. That's way too fast. Certainly it would be for me.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I am of the opinion that it was your nutrition strategy that caused you to hit the wall at 18 miles.

Some research has been done which shows that most marathon runners who hit the wall do so within 2 miles of their longest run distance.

That you totally changed your nutrition straegy for the marathon did not really bode well. That you only slowed by 1min/m shows that you didn't get it too wrong. That you felt bad afterward suggests that you did indeed take too many gels. 

You need to do what your body is used to and for you that is minimal nutrition during your runs. You would probably do better by only sipping water when you feel the need until about the 16 mile mark which should give it enough time to work before you hit the wall.

Nothing to stop you going out a little slower and trying for a negative split, continually asses how you feel, hard because you'll be feeling great at the start but you need to hold back.

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone.

I think that I'll go back to what I know, with minimal nutrition for the first half and then a few gels towards the end. I've used homemade gels in the past (as at jibbering.com) so will make up a flask of that.