I hate my job

Hi all,
I've been working in IT for about 10 years or so and wanna get out of IT. I'd love to move into something like podiatry, physio, sports science, sports massage or the like. But at 32 I don't have 5 years to train, qualify etc.... for a new career

What I'd love to do is a two year course in something like podiatry/physio and set up a practice.

Has anyone here done such a thing, anyone know of good courses, how to qualify. Any suggests on avenues to follow.

Suggestions are most welcome.

Comments

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    lol

This one deserves its own forum, I think!

There are quite a few people on these forums who have done/are doing just that, bri - and for what it's worth: at 32 you have plenty of time to do whatever you want to change your life. It takes planning and determination, but you can do it if you really want to.

good luck.

:o)
  • Podiatry is a 3 year degree course, as is physio. Alternatively you could do them part time and work part time and it would take 4.5 years. Unlike ordinary degrees you do get some funding - though don't expect to live on it. Or you could do a sports massage/sports injury course and try and get work in that. In terms of setting up a practice you'd be looking longer term after qualifying - I think there are probably better prospects in podiatry in terms of making money - probably a greater scope to physio as a profession (although that hardly matters as you wont end up doing everything).
  • I'm currently studying sports nutrition in my own time as a corospondance course ---- looking to set up as a dietician and sports nutritionist

I'm still a bit away yet tho'

• Also – you need to do your market research: -

To see if there is a need for the service you are going to offer within your catchments area
    To ensure that your catchments area is not saturated with others offering the service
    To check out the opposition

and so on ...

A good way of doiing this is as part of prepearing a business plan

Good Luck

• WW correspondance course sounds like the bizz, who you doing it with? How long? Tell me more about your course.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    bri: I've now worked in IT for about 13 years. If you don't mind me asking, which particular skills/experiences have you got?
  • (by the way i'm also in IT - consultant and project manager)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    WW: Never mind we all have our faults ;-)

Seriously, for which area (ie govt, retail, finance, app dev., infrastructure etc etc etc)? When you say consultant do you mean an IT Contractor or a managment consultant (ie Accenture)?
  • Sitting at my desk at 01:57 on a dreary Wednesday morning I'd have to agree with you

IT is boring , I need 9 - 5
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I see a pattern emerging...

((((((((IT people everywhere))))))))))
  • I'm looking for a change (i'm in retail) and reading these threads in the last few months it appears that IT is not advisable.

Does anyone agree (or even disagree)
  • There is good money in IT though isn't there?
  • I don't want this to turn into a IT skills debate. I've been an IT contractor in the past and am now a permie. I find IT boring, not much interaction with people, sure it pays the bills and that's what counts. I'd hate to look back in 20 years time and say, I sat on my rump at a desk for 30 years pushing buttons.
    I see podiatry, physio or such, as a breath of fresh air. Meeting new people all the time. A new challenge.

WW thanx for the email. I'll check that out now.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    don't know how much fresh air there is in podiatry, bri...

:x)
  • this is true.... sweaty feet don't turn you on then??
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    I find IT boring at the moment. To get some variety in my life I have considered studying courses different to my Electronic Engineering degree or Computing. For example: Philosophy, Theoretical Physics and Story Writing. At the moment I'm keen to study Sports Science. These courses are purely for personal satisfaction and my intention is not retrain but to relieve the boredom, as I think there is opportunity for me in IT. But that's just my opinion.
  • WHat about joining the army? Don't laugh - a mate of mine has just come out of the marines and he loved it.
  • I know the marines aren't the army - but you it's the same principle.
  • I cann't see the marines or army paying the bills for two cars, house and family. But I know what ya mean.
    Yeah maybe just a change of study would brighten my day. Studying/learning something entirely differant could make a differance.

But to be honest I'm really waiting on the Lottery win or my race coming home first.
  • there's a lot of us waiting on that lottery win!
  • Bri,

I have exact same problem as you Im 33 stuck in IT and I absolutely hate it.

I want to do something more physical, but the problem is im so used to the (relatively) decent money I get in IT that its difficult to think of something else that will support my lifestyle in this country.

So I have formulated another plan - hopefully in another 5 years I will have accrued enough money behind me that I can emmigrate. My son will be 17 then so I wont feel overly guilty leaving the country.

I was thinking Italy or Cyprus (my misses' family live there).

Im sick to death of desk jobs, Im sick to death of the British climate.

• JX what you gonna do in Italy or Cyprus, retrain stay in IT and move or just take on something completely new?? Every week me and missus talk about moving to France. That said we've just bought a new house, where we live, moving in in 4 weeks.

• If you're in IT and have an academic (computer science) background, there's a real shortage of computer scientists at UK universities.

And plenty of overseas opportunities too.

That's why we don't live in the UK anymore ...
  • bri,

I probably will have to work in IT when I first get there (mainly for reasons relating to the paperwork involved in getting me residency) but that would be short term. Long term I just want some menial part time job just to pull in a few quid a week beer money - early semi-retirement sort of thing. If I can go out there with enough money that shouldnt be an unachievable goal.

I have a second property which I let out, and was lucky enough to buy a few years back when the market was low, I should make a pretty decent amount of money out that alone when I sell up everything - plus the money from the house I live in - plus savings. I have a figure in my head that im aiming for and If I can go out with that much then Ill be in the position where I wouldn't need to earn much to get by.

thats the theory anyway - only time will tell if it actually pans out like that.....
  • I used to work in R & D - used to like that

I think half my problem is i work for a huge multinational IT company

I may try and go back to a small company OR a small IT dept in a company
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Or start your own?
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    First its Pantman and his POSE shoes on the Gear forum, and now its Juliejoo reading my mind. JJ, you're just getting back at me for posting that Blue Thunder link aren't you? ;-)

<<NRG-B regresses into paranoia for a moment and resurfaces..>>

Seriously, JJ has made an important point.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I do try to contribute.

:o)
  • Hmm. I'm going against the trend here. I've just been made redundant (and I'm on "gardening leave" at the moment, until 5th December). I used to be in Finance (where most of the triathlon_discussion group seem to be) and looking to switch into IT (where most of you lot seem to be).

I'm going to be a Java whizz! Struts, here I some!

BB