Recenyly getting nervous riding the bike

2»

Comments

• Was that on aero bars FB? THAT would take some cojones....

• Unfair advantage by FB. S'all that potential energy innit?image

• Yup, I was out witha skinny young girl on Sunday. About 5% downhill, she was still pedalling and I just coasted past. I had been behind riding the brakes so was just speed built by mass/gravity over wind resistance. Mass has its advantages on downhills but trust me we pay for it on the way up. 

agree that practice and MTB in the winter build skills. 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I started riding a year ago, and was VERY scared of downhills at first, and would be on my brakes all the way down.

I just got used to it after a while, and stopped thinking about what would happen if I crashed at 30 mph...

There's a hill on the way home from most rides, which I now try to go as fast as I can down  image

Sometimes I have to slow down as the cars in front of me are going too slowly.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Dustboy wrote (see)

Was that on aero bars FB? THAT would take some cojones....

yep - was on the bars. image   and like meface, us big lads may have to work hard to get to the tops but boy, do we have fun on the way down.....image

IMCH have I believe now stopped people descending that hill on tribars as there have been many crashes over the years from those who don't know how to handle their bikes.

and I think Rosey and Barlist have their top speeds on that same hill

• Respect FB that is some speed whistling through your lovely locks image 

• I live in a remote hilly region of Scotland, all I've got to ride on are single track roads on hills with surprise sheep and tractors.  The only way I built any speed on these roads was experience.  There is one long 2km downhill near me, bendy, with a scattering of chippings along the centre which scared the living day lights out of me the first time I rode it.  It took me months before I could go down it without using my brakes all the time.  Now I just break on certain corners.

I think you've just got to repeat the downhills and over time you'll get to know where you can go fast and where you should break.

• Its like Bassy used to say, keep riding down the same hill getting faster each time till you fall off and its the speed of the ride before you fell off is what to aim for.