Options

Do you simply throw your 'expired' running shoes away

Just wondering when your shoes have done enough, do you simply throw them away? I don't normally wear trainers for day-to-day wear or casual wear, so when the time is up, I guess I have to throw them away, although it feels like a waste, even though they may not be good enough for running, they're still 'wearable'!

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I never go by the 500 miles rule. I run in them until they feel worn out or fall apart.

Any that haven't fallen apart get used for gardening , DIY , dog walking etc.
  • Options

Hopefully you at least put them in a clothes bank?

• Options

Mine usually last way beyond 500 miles, but I've still built up quite a collection of old pairs over the years.

I tend to keep the most recent couple of pairs for knocking about in, and everything older goes in the charity bag.

• Options

Since I'm quite heavy, mine are past their best at fairly low miles (300 maybe), so they still look ok.  I usually wear them as my day to day trainers and they're at death's door before I finally retire them to the great shoe box in the sky.

• Options

My trainers usually meet with some accident/ incident before they get too old...

1x AWOL, 1x washing machine image 1x mold, come to think of it only one pair of running shoes I have ever owned has made it to retirement, and they must have done 4 figures easy.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

You can get a surprising amount of money for them at car boot sales!

• Options

i don't manage to get many miles out of mine as I run very heavy on them ......then i wear them for everyday wear as I live in trainers......

• Options

I wear my 'retired' runners at the gym when weight training.  They're still perfectly good for that!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

You can get a surprising amount of money for them at car boot sales!

I'm going to test this shortly...clean them up, and sell them £5-10 a pair?

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I think we were getting up to £7 per pair last year, for well-worn but clean Asics and Nike shoes.

We put them through a cool wash in the machine.  

People would buy them without even trying them on, so I think they were selling them on.

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

Seriously Wilkie?
    I've got about a dozen pairs of ex-runners in varying states of disrepair. I could sell them for enough to buy one new pair!!!

My trainers work their way down the 'food chain'. First they are runners, then walking arounders, then dog walkers, then gardeners and stable shoes. I get every inch possible out of my trainers!

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Seriously!

My OH and I did a few boot sales, and got rid of a LOAD of stuff.  He tends to not throw anything away.

At first we sold the shoes for a couple of quid, then realised that we should be asking more, and put them up, then up again (he had a LOT of old shoes...)

I think the highest we were selling them for in the end was about £7.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I haven't the first idea what sort of mileage any of my trainers have done. 

If I like them I wear them until they fall apart, if I don't like them then I will eventually get around to sending them to a charity shop. Only one pair of ex offroad shoes has made it past the running stage. All the others have crumbled to dust.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I'm just about to "retire" an outdoor pair after 700+ miles. I might get some more mileage out of them by cleaning them up and using them on the treadmill.

A pair that I use exclusively on the treadmill are still fine after more than 1000 miles. I wouldn't use them on pavements, but on a cushioned treadmill deck they can last for ages.

• Options
    I know this is an old tread, but if anyone still reads this please can you fill out this short survey for me. It is to do with disposing of disused trainers and your recycling habits. Here is the link https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdamOpvOPX6Gh6BSL_DeVpSHQWCRFPVMO77puHomp9-iU0nLQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thanks!
  • Options
    I purchase an awful lot of running trainers - just to feed my addiction & high mileage. old pairs get used for the gym, for a while, and then end their life in the charity shoe box as I don't have enough room to keep them (otherwise I probably would end up keeping them )
  • Options
    Don't know how many miles each has but I rotate 4 pairs at a time, I usually feel it in my knees when it's time to change. Or they're in holes!
  • Options
    It is good to recycle shoes. There are homeless people that need shoes or shoes can be made into other things. That warm fuzzy feeling of recycling is priceless. 
  • Options
    Come on, it's a waste of shoes just to throw them away! I keep them in the wardrobe to wait until I will have some adventures, like weekend in the country or sth. If I know I will be all dirty and the road will be rocky and uncomfortable, I will reuse them, event for this last time. But still ,,normal'' boots won't suffer.
    Another idea what to do with dying shoes it to take them to the water to avoid stepping on the glass. Or give it to charity.
    Never to the bin.
    They don't deserve it!
  • Options
    I tend to use them as casual wear for a while, and then put them in a charity bin. I would never just throw them away.
  • Options
    i burn them. like a fitting send off to all the places they've carried me. often i'll retire them to casual wear 1st and later burn them
  • Options
    i might donate to charity, but mostly they are dead and beyond anyone else's use when i give them up
  • Options
    Still love my nike Frees after several years but gonna to have start dumping some.... they're too bad to clog up clothes banks
    Run to Endure: A Story about Training to Run, Live and Think Better

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Endure-Story-Training-Better-ebook/dp/B077WXMTT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512540602&sr=8-1&keywords=run+to+endure
  • Options
    MacMac ✭✭✭
    Running then demoted to casual/walking then demoted to gardening/decorating.
    Every now and then my wife forces me to break that cycle by giving shoes freshly demoted from running straight to charity/recycling.
    It's true though, a quick go in the washing machine will bring them up like new for use as perfectly good casual trainers.
  • Options
    lestajestalestajesta ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I agree with most about demoting running shoes down the old gear list however, I have saved a pair of shoes that ARE completely worn out that I ran my first marathon in :)
  • Options
    I have an over exuberant miniature schnauzer who takes care of unguarded trainers, so not many see there natural end!