Hills in Reading area

NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

I'm following a training plan that requires 10*100 metre hill repeats, does anyone know anywhere in Reading where I can find at least 100 metre steep hill, steeper the better? I live in Earley.

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Your best choice of options is probably in Caversham. 

Not sure whether anything closer to you could really be classed as steep.  However, you could try the southern end of Alexandra Road, it would probably be sufficient for your purposes if you give it some welly.  When I lived in the university area, I always found that little 200m section pretty tough to run up, though I was a fair bit heavier then...

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

I used to do Hill reps up either Kendrick Road or Northumberland Avenue. Both steep  enough to test.

Both are about a 10 min warm-up run from Earley. You've also got Whitley Wood  Road which is on the Reading 1/2 Course

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Thanks Dachs, I'll definately take a look at Alexandra Road as that is quite close to me, Caversham is a bit far as it's likely to be a week day and I work in London so get back late.

Piers, I should have thought of Whitely Wood as I've done the Reading 1/2 twice now, there is also that hill off the Oxford Road that seems endless, will have to look it up.

Looks like I've got plenty of choices now, will have to experiment and see which is the hardest.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Russell Street is the one off Oxford Road which is on the half-marathon course.  Or if you want to schelp out to Tilehurst then Langley Hill is good fun, as I recall!

• There are a few off the Oxford road towards the tilehurst road that are steep.  But yes the first hill in the reading half is nice and steep!  There are a few over towards tilehurst if you are ever over this side.

• Towards tilehurst end there are a few decent hills such as Arthur Newbury park. Obviously too far to run to but could be useful for a weekend session etc image

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the hill locations, might give the Whitely one a go tonight or tomorrow.

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

I did do 10x100m reps at Whitley Wood on Saturday, was a great workout, 12 reps planned for this Saturday, only other comment is not to do it late at night

• Hi guys, i am new to reading area. I stay near kings road and have no idea about the roads you talking about. It would be really great if you could add a google map link or photo of the hills so that I could visit them once.
    Cheers.