is it just me

13»

Comments

• Never had anyone take the piss, but I do most of my running when people are asleep or just waking up on their way to work. When I have been out in sociable hours I've had a couple of people in cars honk their horns and give me the thumbs up though!

• I think it shows a positive frame of mind when you see if like that. One persons banter is anothers abuse

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Most calls and shouts from cars/vans I can't make out anyway. It's a garbled mess with a bit of doppler shift thrown in. It's easy to assume the worst, but what I can actually hear is generally harmless. Occasionally you get people who shout abusive or aggressive stuff. Most of the time I think it's born of a lack of subtlety or social skills to distinguish between playful and unpleasant. Best to give a friendly acknowledgement of the effort and pass on by. Truth is some people are just pricks. It's probably been that way since we crawled out of the sea.
  • Interesting thread, I don't think I've ever had anyone shout anything at me when out for a run! Even when I've been running in Southampton or deepest darkest Birkenhead!

• DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

I've only had a few instances of 'Run Forest'. Literally, the same comment, original eh!?!?

A lad ran with me for 200metres in a bit of a dodgy area once but it was just banter and I just picked up the pace a bit.

It's one thing to take the piss out of a bloke in his 30s and quite another to intimidate a lone woman. Although, as JT put it, mostly prob down to "a lack of subtlety or social skillss to distinguish between playful and unpleasant". Well put JT BTW

Chin chin

D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it's easy to presume what is being shouted or said is negative.

I did a track session today watched by a bunch of council workers dossing about.

I wondered if they might give it some banter, but they all just watched in a kind of "this guy is mad smashing round a track in the midday sun" manner, and one even asked some questions interestedly at the end!

Until i overdid the technical details...

• Nice work Stevie G they'll think twice before they question another runner image

The sunshine definitely brings out the bams. Kids running alongside me, and daft shouts of the run faster variety don't bother me. It's the threatening and sexually aggressive stuff that's the problem, guess I must be fat heffer at size 6 too. In the last place I lived I dreaded running in good weather as so many lunatics would be out.   

• Grow a beard! (seems to work for me) Or if you are a member of the fairer sex get one of those false ones like in Monty Python's a life of Brian image

• I have only recently started to run and at least once during a run I get beeped at or told to get my **** out image 

I does annoy me but I am trying to ignore it. Idiots.

• I get a few shouts of "nice arse"  mostly off girls but also heard it from guys a couple of times.

I also pass regularly a group of lads who sing "rolling, rolling rawhide" when they see me, usually followed by a wave and encouragement to keep going.

So nothing nasty, either a bit of fun or also positive comments. As I run virtually every day in the evening, the local coppers give me a wave when they drive past.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I'm not quite sure what happened but think I might have been shot by an air pistol from a car a week or so ago. Bloody hurt whatever it was.
  •  Was out the other day and saw a heckler give me a mouth full only then to watch him stand in a pile of freshly produced steaming dog shit. I found that extremely funny.

• Because the local chav population isn't enough, I was swiped by a bloody seagull yesterday...twice!  Vicious bastard.