Cant help but wonder

I know I will be jumping a head of myself but I am curious to ask a question that somebody with a lot more knowledge than I could answer.

Having done a rather hilly 30 miler, would it be impossible to do a very flat 50 miler in september? Would being able to run hilly terrain equate to running further on flat terrain? Or is it the simple fact that I will be out a lot longer on my feet and really thats all that matters?

Any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• if you keep on training.why notimage

• Dont say that lol I was hoping somebody would say no chance! Then I can stop being silly image

• Go for it. Although flat courses can seem tougher than hilly ones over longer distances, if you ask me. Get the training in and you can do it.

• i find flatter courses harder as I feel i should be running it all...........with hilly courses i have my rule of run all the flat and downhills ( whilst i can) and wlak the harder uphills

• You can alternate between hilly and flat courses without any ill effects. 

•  

I seem to remember from your time you probably didn't run all of the thirty, is that right? In which case the marginal differences between your thirty fitness and what you'd need for the 50 wild be negligible.

As for your question as to whether you could run a 50 in September then yes of course you could, whether you could do it in a decent time is entirelysubjective and only you can answer that. No one here knows you, everyone within themselves has the capacity to travel ultra distance, the other bits are just details.

Sorry if this sounds unduly grumpy but threads in this vein pop up regularly, ' I've run X, can I run Y in Z months'

In my opinion invariably the answer will be yes, however your definition of run and my definition of run may well be two very different things. Only you and your coach, if you have one,a know what you're capable of and these threads aren't really about what you can do they're about encouraging your (royal your it must be said) ego and stroking your insecurities

• Take this with a big pinch of salt, because I know nothing, but...

At the speeds at which you and I travel at, I reckon the difference between 30 and 50 is not so much about training and more about bloody-mindedness.

Anyone who deals with PCCs on a regular basis is well trained in the art of relentless persistence.

One big difference is that you may be still out there after sunset, so a certain amount of training for covering ground in the dark is called for.

I reckon go for it.  What's the event?

• To be brutally hones with you, a lot of people here just sign up for the events that interest them, then worry about the consequences later. 

• Putting in regular walking breaks (e.g. 8 + 2 minutes, or 25 + 5) from the start might be sensible if you're not going to have hills as a cue to walk. I've seen several people doing that on a hilly ultra as well.

• Cheers guys much appreciated.

Ben thats what I done with the last one lol. Might be the way to image

I'd definitely be walking it in parts. Its just mentally thinking that I got through 30 miles yesterday on my first ultra, to then go another 20 odd miles ;-s

I ws thinking about the Kennet & Avon canal race. It's 56 miles I know but if I could do 50 I can do 56 image

• 50 miles canal races are relatively straightforward with the right strategy. 

Jog the first 20-25 miles at a training run pace, then switch to a strategy of run 25 minutes walk 5. 

Then as necessary you can drop the ratio to 20/5, or 15/5. 

If the race can't kill you and it can't time you out, then it is going to get a DNF (did not finish off). 

• Yes of course you could, distances like that are 25% legs the rest is in the mind

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

25%... 15 miles? If you are out of legs by that point you have spent too much time in McDonald's and not enough time in your running shoes.

Just lace up and do it.

• Stop egging me on lol

I think I will go for it and see. I didnt think I could do the 30 miler the other day and did it. Just got to organise transport, which seems to be a big thing in Ultra's. Somehow got to get to Bath then get home from Newbury!

• I have a suggestion.

Just sign up for the race tonight, and let necessity be the mother of invention!

• Ben now thats usually how I role. Hence signing up to an ultra 2 weeks before, last time. Just trying to see who is willing to drive 150miles to get me back again. I could catch the train but its cutting it very fine image

• there we are booked it image

"Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any"

-Anthony Bailey

• Just chatted with a bloke I know who does a lot 100 milers and asked his thoughts. He said absolutely you can do it. The longest training run for his hundred milers were no longer than 20 miles. So he said as long as you get the nutrition right and set off slowly you will finish. You just need to go out with the mind set of 'right i'm running 56 miles today and go and do it' I thought thats pretty true image If not i'll grab a canoe half way through and paddle the rest image

• If you love running long distances - and if you don't, you're probably in the wrong game - then why limit your training runs to 20 miles? I think the mental side is important, but a lot of that comes from the training. 

• Hey Vicar, I am in a similar boat. My previous longest distance is 50km run on the flattest route you could imagine and I'm doing a hilly(ish) 50 mile in September. I had planned a 4 month training program but my lung decided it would inconvenience me by collapsing so I have now compressed that to 3 months. I am hoping that smart planning and steely determination will see me through. We should keep each other posted on how we are doing...

• Hi Ross,

Bloody hell thats not good image I hope all is better now. I was moaning about a bit of tendonitis the other day. I don't really role with a training program I just keep running and see how I feel. Might do a week of 40-50 miles might do  a week of 20-30 depending on races and events etc. I have a very hilly marathon in 2 weeks and the Salisbury 54321. Then what I am going to do in July is run the Taunton - Bridgwater canal 1 and half times, so roughly 40-45 miles. Basically my 56 miler is a canal race, So its flat, which sounds easier but I really have to try and get the walking in. Just go out and enjoy it image

I'm doing the Kennet and Avon 56 miler. What are you running in September?

• Cheers, I am not quite 100% but I am past the magic 6 week mark which the doctors assured me I would be fine after. (it is a conspiricy -it's always 6 weeks...)

I have never really followed a training plan before but after running a 4 hour marathon with zero training I was very annoyed as I realised I could do so much better. My plan is your usual gradually increased mileage with a 'rest' week every couple and then a taper. Overall it averages 40ish miles. There is a 36 mile race I may run a few weeks before if the time, logistics and money align.

The event is the 7 Lochs Ultra in the scenic countryside south of Loch Ness. This could go one of two ways: either it is spectacularly beautiful; or after 9 hrs I no longer wish to view a pine forest trail ever again...

There is a Glasgow-Edinburgh 56 canal route that I fully intent to run at some point.

What is your run/walk schedule intention? I want to run for an hour then do 8/2mins. Reckon the hilliness of the route will make this plan reduntant but it's what I will train for I think.

• Well i've thought about the run walk schedule. I will aim to do 7 miles with 1 mile walking. It fits in with the length of the race. Plus It will bring me in under the 12 hours quite easily. But I will try it out on my Taunton Canal run and see how I feel. But as you well know have a plan but expect to change it image

I'd love to do something up in Scotland the scenery would be amazing, and also to catch a glimpse of Nessieimage

• To throw in my 2 cents - I am a big believer in short training runs being quite fine for ultras - my running CV though short does include a couple of 100 milers. Longest training run I have ever done was 30miles, longest I did for the UTSW last year was the London marathon.

I do love running longer distances but with a combination of family & work commitments I simply cannot / don't want to spend hours running slowly around the countryside except when racing. Run short, hard and often and get the mindset right on race day!

• I can't train above 20 miles no matter how I plan yet I'm more than happy to turn out every couple of weeks for a marathon, I have done  afew ultras and am planning a 100, I have to use events for my long runs or it won't happen

• Hi runnin man image how's u ? Which 100 are you doing ? Need to catch up n have a natter - spose 100 miler would be long enough to catch up?image