What's running in Madrid like?

I'm off to Madrid for a week this weekend with work, and really want to be running outside. I know I'll be missing my sunday long run, but still want to carry on with some sort of running! I think where I'm staying is about 15 minutes away from the centre (I've never been to Madrid, so no perception of distance there!).

I'll be at 2 hotels, the first one has a gym, but I have never ran on a thread mill before apart from when I bought my running shoes at a running shop! Therefore I have no idea how to work a thread mill, I'm sure it's not that difficult, I know it sounds silly but I'm not sure if I can work the buttons etc image

Anyone knows what the streets of Madrid is like for running, and how safe is it? Thanks!

Comments

• I'm sure the Spanish cope ?
  • DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

I forget the name but one of the main tourist attractions is a massive park - it's lush and a few laps of that would sort you out!

D

• Running in Madrid is good.

In the city centre you have the Retiro Park (Metro Retiro Line 2) which is quite big and good for running. There's a trail around the perimeter (inside the fence) which a lot of runners use as well other paths.

There's also Parque Santander, about 5 minutes walk from Canal Metro (Line 7) which has a track wide enough for two or three people. One lap is 1200 metres and there are blue marker posts every 100 metres. It can get quite busy mid evening and Sunday morning but is a nice environment. Opens 8:00am and closes at 11:00pm.

Another option is Casa de Campo, a big open space a bit further out. They had the triathlon there that Johnnie Brownlee won last weekend. Loads of paths and trails. Metro Lago Line 10.

Quite a few people run on the pavements too but be careful at pedestrian crossings when the green man starts flashing and the lights go to amber as drivers can be a bit quick of the mark.

Hope the above helps. Enjoy your stay.

PS For public transport either get an abono de diez which gives 10 rides on the tube & buses or an abono touristico which I think is something similar for tourists. It works out a lot cheaper like that.

• I've just remembered I spent about an hour watching the ITU Triathlon from Madrid on Sunday ! Iplayer the footage if you want to see what that was like.
  • Another vote for casa de campo, it's massive (contains a zoo and a theme park) so lots of options and it is bang in the centre (5-10 min walk from Sol) so easy to get to.

Nice during the day, don't know about at night, but as a rule running anywhere in Madrid you can expect it to be hot and hilly!

Enjoy image

• Ha! ha! It's got a bit of a dubious reputation by night but fine by day. Some nice bars / restaurants by the lake too. Probably a bit longer than a 5 - 10 min walk from Sol though but downhill.

• Madrid is fine, no problems there, you're more at risk in the UK

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Thanks Neil Jones and Roger, for the details!

I'm staying at Melia Castilla at Calle del Capitán Haya and Holiday Inn Madrid Calle Alcalà. Looks like those lovely parks are a bit far to get to on foot, and I'm limited by available time. Might check out what's within reach of the hotels when I get there, or I may have to break my gym and threadmill phobia!

• Hi @little Theodore I was wondering if the pathes you mentioned are mostly paved or soft surface?? I am thinking of living there for a yr or so but need to run on mainly soft surfaces because of knee surgery. Thanks !
  • Hi @scragstheshoe. It's basically a mixture. Casa de Campo has quite a lot of dirt trails but the problem is it hasn't rained since mid July so they are very hard right now. Parque Santander has a 1200m track that is softer than the road or pavement and the Retiro has some dirt paths but again they are very compacted right now. By the way, there is a lot of road racing from September to June though I guess that wouldn't be too great for your knees. There's a big running scene here.