Comrades 2014

Comments

• Fit-Running-Cat - the Comrades site is showing old info: "

Any IAAF accredited road race of 42.2 kilometres or longer (refer to qualifying table) during the period 3 June 2012 to 6 May 2013 be used as a Comrades Marathon qualifying event."

A sub-3 will near kill me, so I'd rather try that this year and leave next year for the specific training required. Ultras are not really my thing, but Comrades is so wonderful and special.

• Booo about not being able to use 3:15 VLM time.

Ran Shrewsbury June 23rd pacing someone, so at least have a 3:44 time which is valid. 

Slow duck is this the table you meant?

Thought the estimates & calculators were very ambitious! 7:40-8? Bonkers.

BR would be lovely but even sub 9 not going to be easy at all. Just Finishing would be fine.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

F-R-C - it's similar to Norrie's table but slightly different...

• is this the table?

sorri about the res. 

/members/images/783542/Gallery/ComradesTableLouw.png

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Alan - yes, that's the one!

• Alan Peacock wrote (see)

Ultras are not really my thing

• So this from the keyboard of the man who is mentioned by Tim Noakes in Lore of Running for once running 207km in 24 hours!

Well done on the marathon yesterday Alan. Great effort to run a good time so soon after Comrades.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

FRC your mad mate's conversion doesn't sound too bad particularly on the day. (SD's best is a bit under 10h and that was for a cool down run, and his mara PB is... www.thepowerof10.info ... 3:23 ). But is he... how can I put this... young?

• First pain free run this morning since Comrades. Now we can start training towards Chester Marathon. Injuries suck! Swimmimg and walking not quite the same.

Jacquie and Bike it, have you both recovered?

Anyone else back from 'The Dark Place'?

• Dark Place sounds interesting Hans. Whereabouts are you if doing Chester? I'm on the Wirral.

Fido, my friend hmmm he is youngish, early 30s, very fit as a gym instructor/ PT but only did 10-15 miles running for his first (and only!) marathon before Comrades, plus strength work.. a 1:22 half to a 3:14 is poor conversion even for a full marathon to me. Then he did no training for comrades, sure he could improve 9:45 if he did a little.

I know sub 9 would be tough for me off 3:15 but not impossible, hence taking this training seriously, sub 10 even.. Just finishing would be fine as a Comrades virgin .

Sadly power of 10 doesn't work when you put "Slow Duck" in.image

• Alan - I agree with Warren - you managed a great sub 3:20 (with 13 generous seconds to spare image ) post Comrades marathon result on Sunday... Can't believe you secured your Pen B slot so soon, and now target a Pen A qualifier in October... in the Oz summer too! I still have feet that haven't fully recovered from Comrades. My first race outing is on August 3 (48 miles around Jersey: Round the Rock) and reading the various posts jit seems like most of us are only just now getting back into post Comrade race training

• Hey FRC, I am coming from Leeds, but had a great run at Chester last year. Looking forward to going back and getting under 3.30

All these amazing times from runners so soon after Comrades? I am just running pain free now and lost a toenail last weekend, with two more to go. What am I doing wrong?

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

The day that matters is nearly a year away mate, and it will be a hilly road to get there, so who knows...

Hilly road to the hilly race........

• Hans C - I'll be at Chester too.

Also, if anyone is at the Surrey Badger half tomorrow, it looks like I've been persuaded to go along now.  

• Emily, good luck with the thunder run. Be great to catch up in Chester.

Anyone else doing Chester as an early qualifier?

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

I'm running Bournemouth on the first weekend in October - too early to be a qualifier for me...

• I'm doing Bad Pyrmont on July 27th, but I don't need a qualifier so no pressure at all... What a relief. I hadn't realised Germany was so well served with marathons though - far more than the UK, so if anyone wants a long weekend - http://www.marathon.de/marathon2013.aspx

I probably better stop lurking here soon just in case I get tempted back.

• I'm in Chester.  Looking forward to reminiscing with Emily and Hans up there.  I'm going up on the Friday and staying near the racecourse and plan to visit Liverpool too.  Are you both making day trips or staying longer?  

Do all of us veterans need qualifiers? I thought we could get away with using this year's time for seeding...

• Hey AOEH, your comrades run does count as a qualifier for next year. I am hoping to try and improve my seeding at Chester. I haven't  decided on the plans for the weekend but could be tempted into staying over saturday. Will keep you posted.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

AONEH - it's worth trying to start as near the front as possible on the Down run as the streets at start and the first few km are narrower than for the Up - hence each pen gets stretched out a little more...

• Ally - you already have an A seeding based on your silver this year.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

That said, I was in pen F for the last Down and still managed to knock nearly 50 minutes off my up time, all in the last half of the race too. Of course when you are not going much faster than walking pace there's a lot more wiggle room!!, but still, the difference in start times is the sort of thing you can easily make back by remembering to have a wee *before* the start gun goes (etc).

• BakkiesmatBakkiesmat ✭✭✭

My wife is south african and has told me how the whole family get up to watch comrades. so flights booked now waiting for september for entries to open. have followed last years thread and all advice has been very helpful thanks everyone 

• Oh, I didn't know that this years time counted for next years seeding.

My qualifying for 2013 was 3.51 and was in D pen.

My finish time for Comrades was 11.12......was after a sub 10 but alas, missed out on the day.

Can anyone tell me what seeding I would be in with that time ?? I'm guessing not a great one. For a number of reasons the best marathon I will be able to get a decent time for will be Brighton next year.

At least I have a time if this years is taken into account......so please, if anyone knows what seeding that would be great.image

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Welcome Bakkiesmat - you're in for a treat!

PH - 11:12 at Comrades will get you into pen G - same as a 4:20-4:40 marathon...

• BakkiesmatBakkiesmat ✭✭✭

Thank you slow duck 

• Where does "started and running" seed me image. Surely it must be good for being able to run for so long image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Still no running from me.  I've been diagnosed with Periostitis, which is inflamation of the connective tisue that froms a skin over the bone.  This has been caused by my tendon excessivly pulling on it according to the doc.  It is more or less recovered now so maybe I would run again soon.

I'm doing strength training in the meantime with some cycling.  Mainly I use bodyweight excercises or kettlebell.  I've noticed that rapid strength gain seem possible in my upper body which I think is more about neuro-muscular recruitment that muscle growth.  100 press-ups by the end August is the target.

I've just been on holiday to the North Devon coast (no internet which explains my abscence here) and it has to be ideal for Comrades training.  I see they have the Bideford Bay 50km with 6000ft elevation in early September.  Unfortunately it is a Saturday when my wife would be working.  Now I'm in Japan for work.