Cotswold 113, who's in?

Comments

• Probably rack somewhere between 4 - 4.30. Staying in cirencester so not far to come - rather early than late to avoid any last minute stress.

• I'm similar - aiming to arrive with everything ready and rack 4-4:30am and staying at my parent's house in Cirencester.

I'm assuming parking will be difficult.

• I'm still questioning my sanity. The times we are talking about should only exist in the afternoon. Yes, my first HIM too.

A brief wobble should resolve some of the blatant drafting.

The reason why BBC and Met office have the same forecast is because they both use the Met office for their forecast. The Weather Channel and Accuwhatever don't have the monster computer that the Met office have. Personally, I moderate the forecasts. After the Fish Hurricane the Met Office got paranoid and conservative, but that's changed. Now I take their forecast, but apply a factor depending on how quickly changes are happening. At present the fronts are whistling through, therefore low confidence on the timing. If it's a settled high, we have good confidence. We should have a better level of confidence late tomorrow.

• According to my FB feed, due to the temperature of the water, BTF Regs say wetsuits are optional on Sunday image

• pffppfpffffffffffffffffff

pass the screen wipes.

• Good luck to all the triathletes, Pirates, Fairies and sleepy-heads for tomorrow.

-I saw this lady (correct hair colour) filling water bottles and made an appropriate comment about needing a fairy. The comment flew over her head, so obviously not you. Shame.

-Oh, and the water temperature DOES feel good. I'm not even going to wear a rash/T shirt.

• Good luck for tomorrow all you 113'ers. 

• Good luck tomorrow and remember Schmunks is there somewhere! 

• 4hr38 min for me. fell apart on the last run lap - survival mode counting to 100 and back to take thw sick feeling away.That said, i had a gopd swim and bike and qas actually leading for about 1 minute after T1. In terms of tge course, lake is nice and clear although there was some confusion over the buoys. bike is flat and fast and luckily we had spme pretty deceny conditions. run is flat and mostly tail, personally didnt enjoy it as i went out too hard and suffered big time. a well run low key event.hope all enjoyed and those entered in august are looking forqard to a good day. 

• Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr

Blimey ajford1 (you definitely need a new name). That was on the quick side of quick.

I saw Shmunks several times. Once met never forgotten. I would also like to apologise to her (and her fairy helpers) for mis-timing my last pass throught the feed station.

My swim was with the whales. So good company there.
    T1, I had a tea break apparently.
    Bike, Melted it. Passed hundreds (see swim times), only got passed by 1.
    T2, almost sensible.
    Run: bouncy for first half, dead for last lap. Surprised to see a time not too disastrous.

• FellSurferFellSurfer ✭✭✭

Mine was much the same as ajford and Blisters.  Decent swim for me (wave 3), nailed the bike and suffered on the last lap of the run. Transitions were poor (especially T2 where I couldn't find my stall..too many old number left on the racks).  4:29:xx all in.

Good event. Although it was a bit tight on the bike and run in certain points with 2-way traffic.  Plenty of enthusiastic support, which helped.

• Well done Fell Surfer that is an awesome time. Im a little tired today, quads are a bit stiff. Hoping to recover in time for the bristol sprint on Sunday.

• FellSurferFellSurfer ✭✭✭

Thanks, was aiming for something around 5 so very happy with the result. 

I notice the run time laps are now available on dbmax site, slow down wasn't quite as bad as it felt 30/31/33, photos tell a different story though..image

Good luck with Bristol on Sunday.  I'm signed up for Cheltenham Circular Challenge on Sunday (26.2)....my quads are sore today and seem to have developed some left knee pain overnight, no maybe the sensible thing would be a DNS.

• I don't want to look at my run splits. I know that I blew up.

• 30/33/37 - swam too hard, biked too hard and went off on the run too hard = suffer!

• Hiya,

Good to meet Blisters, sorry I wasnt massively talkative on the run, I was nearly finished and didnt have very much extra breath!!
    I had an awesome race, 4:42:11 in total, and was 2nd female, so I have a lovely clock trophy thing. Pleased with the balance in my splits (run 31/ 32/31, bike 1:13:00 and 1:13:11 !) and very pleased with my swim, which is by far my worst discipline.

Really friendly race, this, and well organised. Shame that the bike course gets so congested, at some points it really is impossible not to draft - that narrow lane that we went down in both directions being one of them - although there were a lot of people quite deliberately working together on the bike which is a bit sad.

I'll be in recovery by the August race, otherwise I might have gone back again. I'd recommend this one.

• Not wanting to follow the crowd by going too hard in swim and bike but...I swam a PB (39:42 by my watch), biked a PB (3:06 - even faster than my bike as part of a relay at the Outlaw Half) then exploded spectacularly on the run.  Well more walk/shuffle than run.

My Garmin had some kind of dropout of data so that all the averages were messed up.  It said I was averaging about 14mph rather than the 18mph I was actually doing, and 75% threshold Watts rather than the 95% or so I was actually using.  It meant I was way above the level I should have been on the bike and still pushing harder.

When I got to the 51 mile feed, I realised my Garmin showed only 41 miles and I'd dramatically overcooked it.  It was then game over for the run...although I did still get a Middle distance PB by almost 10 mins.

• Timmy - congrats on the PB. I always take an internal reading too, rather than just rely on what my Garmin is telling me - at the end of the day its only a machine, and the best data comes from your body and how the effort level feels. But its good experience and you can build from it for next time. Well done!

• Ironically I had the opposite problem at the Outlaw half - my Garmin fell off after 2 miles, so it stayed in my back pocket and I had to go 100% by feel.  In a way, that's a better scenario that what I experienced yesterday, especially if you do all your training to IF/NP and it's always been accurate in the past.  Lesson learned now though!!

• I went 100% by feel yesterday. No garmin, HRM or bike computer. Train mostly by feel and time so dont see the need on race day....

That said if I really wanted to improve and take things seriously maybe I should measure my progress somehow??

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Awesome result, Flyaway image!! Huge congratulations.

Very well done the others too - some great work there.

• Flyaway, lovely to meet and chat. Those times are impressive, and you were certainly in the groove on the run (meant in a nice way). I'm sure I saw you very briefly on the bike a couple of times, but you were too quick and then gone! Good podium placing too.

I was happy and bouncy on the first half of the run, (when we chatted) and then just lost the wind out of my sails. I had to call up the asthmatic steam train for the last mile. It frightened the wildlife and several spectators. I've trawled the photos.
    I'm on bike 797 and 798, Flyaway is 180,181. My finish 972, 973, 975, and Flyaway's much earlier. Obviously.

As this is my first H-I-M I wore no gadgetry at all, only having the Cat-Eye on the bike. That recorded 52 miles in total. I may have a calibration error, did anyone else have a bike distance reading?

• Some guys from my club who raced it said it was a 52mi bike.

Flyers was this your A race or a warmup? Could you share an outline of your training?

• Mr Cat - I feel I have to write to express my dissatisfaction at the lack of appreciation of my support from your fellow Club mates.  Upon hearing the war cry of 'Gooooooo Tuuuuuuuuuurbo', I feel they should at least raise an arm in salute and not hide their heads in embarrassment

I feel so upset by their attitude I feel I may have to bin my much beloved sports bottle that was given to me at The Vit 2010 by some other club mates who very much appreciated my raucous yells of support.  ;) 

• My eardrums are still ringing from 2010   image

• Pop-Up Schmunks - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Mr Cat - I feel I have to write to express my dissatisfaction at the lack of appreciation of my support from your fellow Club mates.  Upon hearing the war cry of 'Gooooooo Tuuuuuuuuuurbo', I feel they should at least raise an arm in salute and not hide their heads in embarrassment

I feel so upset by their attitude I feel I may have to bin my much beloved sports bottle that was given to me at The Vit 2010 by some other club mates who very much appreciated my raucous yells of support.  ;) 

Probably because we're TVT, not Thames Turbo image

I guess at least the Turbo guys racing in Windsor heard and appreciated the effort image. Are you going to collect another Concorde water bottle this year?

• Oh, knickers!  I always get you two clubs confused image

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
     I guess at least the Turbo guys racing in Windsor heard and appreciated the effort image.

Cheeky feckin' bugger!

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    Are you going to collect another Concorde water bottle this year?

It's on my calendar and it's highly likely.  I also got a text today by someone else from the forum looking to do it.  If I do enter, please can you make sure I don't get a 6-min swimmer doing tumble turns in my lane when I was in the 1st wave image.  Pleasethankyew

Pop-Up Schmunks - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    It's on my calendar and it's highly likely.  I also got a text today by someone else from the forum looking to do it.  

w00p. Look forward to cheering/heckling you on.

Pop-Up Schmunks - The List Fairy wrote (see)

If I do enter, please can you make sure I don't get a 6-min swimmer doing tumble turns in my lane when I was in the 1st wave image.  Pleasethankyew

Meldy, please stop showing off and splashing those in the toddler pool. Tamuchly.

• Nob off, the pair of you!  image