Pikermi or not Pikermi?

If you’re still calling a half a half, then the members of Team Pikermi would like a word. And that word is: Pikermi.

Team Pikermi are a small but plucky bunch of runners who want us to ditch the ‘half marathon’ moniker and start calling our 13.1-milers Pikermis because, as they eloquently put it, ‘13.1 miles should not be considered only half of anything!’

What do you think?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What a loads of rubbish is this a wind up?

It's called a half marathon because that's what it is.
  • People understand 'half marathon'.

Pikermi ? Sounds like a Japanese animated character. Why would I waste my breath explaining thats the new word for a Half Marathon ?
  • From their website. Now at least I can see why they have chosen the name...

"Basically, the term Pikermi is used because of the route of the original "marathon" in Greece, which was a route from the town of Marathon to Athens approximately 26.2 miles (the distance of a marathon). The town of Pikermi is about the mid-point between Marathon and Athens, therefore being a distance of about 13.1 miles."
  • I think the same as Millsy.

It's not "only a half marathon", it's a "half marathon".

I think Team Pokemon have some inadequacy issues.

• If you're going to do away with the name "half marathon" then there's no point running 13.1 miles - might as well do 20km instead, would make a lot more sense.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

http://csblearning.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Pic-n-Mix1.jpg

• What a lot of nonsense. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

If I were pointlessly trying to rename the half-marathon, I would choose a word that people knew how to pronounce.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Sorry about the photo BTW. I've just realised there are no Cadbury's Eclairs, cola cubes or chocolate mice.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Team Pokemon seem like they have too much time on their hands.
  • Plucky ? What's plucky about only running half ? 

• Plucky sounds like you are describing some really crap runners who are willing to face embarressment and have a go..........image

• seren nos wrote (see)

Plucky sounds like you are describing some really crap runners who are willing to face embarressment and have a go..........image

That might explain why they are only doing a half 

• A plucky bunch of runners? Did Enid Blyton write the blurb for them?

And the latest news on that website is from 2011. I'm assuming their pluck ran out.

• sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

And the latest news on that website is from 2011. 

Perhaps they haven't finished yet ? 

• They must have. It's only a half! image

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Imagine saying to family...  I'm off to run a pikermi!  Maybe not!

• I'm guessing its a wind-up, it'll never catch on - reminds me of Pikmin the Nintendo game image

Googling shows it's supposed to be pronounced Pee-Ker-Mee - which sounds more like something Miss Piggy would say..

• If I told my family I was running a pikermi, they would probably think I'd lost it and would try to get me to seek help!! 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Tom77 wrote (see)

If you're going to do away with the name "half marathon" then there's no point running 13.1 miles - might as well do 20km instead, would make a lot more sense.

What he said.

• Only reason the marathon has a name is historical roots, no other standard distance from 100m to 100 miles has a name image

• Ja5onW wrote (see)

If I told my family I was running a pikermi, they would probably think I'd lost it and would try to get me to seek help!! 

but don't you think you had just missed off the x at the end.......they would all want to comeimage

• Great idea.

Don't forget to rename the marathon to a "double pikermi" in order to avoid any confusion.

• Idiots!

It's a 5k because that's how far it is.

What village are we going to name that one after?

It's a 10k because that's how far it is.

Is there a town in the right location for that?

It's a 1/2 marathon because...

Well, you know where I'm going.

I suppose someone thought this Pikermi thing was clever?

Sometimes better to think than try to be clever.

• Totally stupid.

• Just to put this to bed....

SUCK MY PLUMS PIKERMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When some spectacular feat of human bravery/ endurance is performed in/ near to your town then you can name a race of that distance after yourself, otherwise shut the f*** up!

• goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

is a quarter marathon now a demipikermi

• Ah what ????