NDW100 2013

Comments

• Ultra ShazUltra Shaz ✭✭✭

Humph. Tempted! I was on the waiting list for this, turned it down due to UTPD this weekend and Ring O Fire 30th August, now its popped up again! My legs feel suprisingly good after the 60 on Sat so I could get a couple of mini recce's in...

Any thoughts? I feel happy enough I could keep things ticking over til the NDW, its just whether 3 weeks is enough to recover before 130mile multi-stage!

WackyRacer, you've now seen me in the silly hours of a race, can you talk some sense into me?! How do you reckon the climbs on the NDW compare with what we did on Saturday? Overall elevation is only 300m more over 40miles longer..

• The main reason that I hadn't had a chance to recce the UTPD was that I had been concentrating my efforts on the NDW as I didn't want to be worrying too much about navigation on my first 100.

So I headed for the Peak District having seen the elevation map and thinking that it would be quite similar. I couldn't have been more wrong and I found the trails a lot more technical than the NDW and the climbs were tougher although certainly the heat played its part. If I do it again next year I will certainly take the time to recce it properly and would hope to complete it a good deal quicker.... hopefully without the need of a torch and the bog trotting image

Basically, I would definately say the terrain was a lot trickier for UTPD but that extra 40 miles is a long way. I must admit that I am a bit worried about the heat again as I was listening to a guy on the radio saying that the week of the NDW was going to be the hottest of the year!!!

For me I will not do too much now before NDW and my legs feel surprisingly good today so should recover nicely for it. 3 weeks isn't a lot of recovery before Ring O Fire and it may take a while to shake a 100 miles out of your legs but the fact that it is multi-stage may make it doable.

Would be interested in the thoughts of those more experienced than me..... but I  would probably say the same as I did when I met you staring down that DNF at Bradwell.... Only you know if you can do it image

• Hi Debra. Sorry only just read your post. James contacted me because he needed a course marker and no more aid station crew. Probably depends when you applied to be a volunteer. When I contacted him they had enough crew and lots of spares but that was about a month ago. They will email you about a week before the event for final conformation and give you all the details.

• Hi Dill, no problem, I sent an email and checked ('cos I want to make sure i have back-up to sort out the parkrun results, if there's a problem with them and I have to dash off to Knockholt Pound). I'll see everyone there (and for any vegetarians: there will be Green-ear Percy Pigs at Knockholt Pound).

• They will soon have to hold a ballot to see who gets to volunteer at Centurion events!   

• I guess it makes a change to have too many volunteers...

I know why I always offer my services but I guess it also helps that James is a great guy though and very appreciative of his volunteers.

• I've volunteered for NDW100 this year because I appreciated the support I got from volunteers at NDW50 last year and SDW50 and NDW50 this year, and wanted to give something back - and the Knockhold Pound aid station is only a few miles away, making it practical to fit in with parkrun (because volunteering at an ultra while making things harder for the other parkrun volunteers seems inappropriate).

• I volunteered for the SDW100 partly because the volunteers had helped my in previous events and I felt that it was my turn, but also because I wanted to see a 100 mile event from the other side. 

• I secured a late slot for the NDW100 but this will be my first 100 and on what is obviously a difficult course. I have done a training session with Robbie Britton some months ago on Box Hill, but haven't done any Recce's at all of the course.

I'm not unduly concerned about the distance, having completed GUCR and TR250 this year, but I realise that this is a different type of challenge altogether, so I'm not taking anything for granted!

I'm really looking forward to this and can't wait to get cracking. I think I'll be donning leggings from around 60 mile onwards to deal with the nettles and potentially cold night, as I did with last two events.

I must admit I am concerned about the navigation, not having had the chance to recce any of the route. I'd have liked a pacer from 50 miles but haven't had any joy finding one so far. Think I'll have to tag on to someone who looks like they know what they're doing, hang on and hope that they're right  image

All the best to to everyone running or supporting!

• Don’t worry Ultralan. 

The course is very well marked, and you will not have problems with navigation unless the markings are tampered with.  I would suggest that you might want to acquire the Harveys map of the North   Downs Way as a security blanket. 

• A map is part of the compulsory kit, if you dont have one you won't be allowed to start the race

• Thanks for the info chaps. I had in fact already bought the 2 maps (East and West NDW) I've also since discussed the navigation with two other NDW runners since my earlier post who also assure me that the navigation markers are top notch.

Really looking forward to this, although I note that some friends who were also successful at GUCR didn't nail the Lakeland 100 today, which I view as a wake up call, given the massively different terrain of the GUCR/TR250 and NDW. I'm taking absolutely nothing for granted!

• The NDW100 is a kitten compared to the Lakeland 100, but it is still a tough 100 mile event, that has to be treated with respect. 

• Ran from Wye to Bluebell Hill today. Trail was In cracking condition all stingers cut back and very runnable.

Really jealous of those racing..

• I ran the L50 at the weekend in 13.21, now counting down the hours till the NDW100. 

Will be my first 100 and course runs pretty much through my back garden so the second half, especially from Wrotham to Bluebell Hill I know really well which I am hoping will help me out! Also means that members of my running club have been recruited to pace me as much as poss! 

Saying that I am still bloody nervous and hope to god I get round, and within the cutoff

• Hi Emily - Lakeland 50 was fun, wasn't it? See you at Knockholt Pound.

Anyone got any special requests for food? Can't promise, but I'll try to make sure we have it.

• Good luck Emily, I'm crewing and 'pacing' (I use that word loosely)  so will look out for you.

• A smlie and words of encouragement and water melon debra would be good image

• Watermelon. Okay - I'm going to be going and buying the fruit etc. so I'll make sure that's included.

After two years managing a parkrun, smiles and words of encouragement come as standard. image I have to stop myself from shouting encouragement when I pass a runner when I'm on my bike or in the car...

• Eeek, that's it, I've gone and entered! No going back now...!

Is anyone driving down on the morning of the race from London? Having paid the entry I'm not sure my budget will allow for Hotel & taxi but I'm happy to pay petrol.

How's everyone's preparations going? Tapering nicely I hope image
  • Not long now!!!

I'm afraid I will be heading down on the Friday Shzza but you are welcome to jump in the car then.

• The race preview is up so that means its really not long now!

Thanks Wacky, I found somewhere to stay Friday night so I'm happy to make my own way, but if you've got room and want to catch up on the way down that would be cool - pm me

Otherwise see you all there! I'm 178 if anyone wants to say hi, you might or might not get a response depending how far into the race we are! Hopefully I'll still be smiling image

• Good luck to everyone doing this one, I hope you all have a sweet new belt buckle when Sunday comes around.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Everyone ready ? image

• Yes, good luck everyone - see you at Knockholt Pound.

• Well less than 24 hours to go and feeling more nervous about this race than the previous two. I'm race no 50 so say hi. See ya at knockhalt debra about 3 o'clock give or take a minute or two image

• Good luck everyone. I'm 120. 3 at knockholt Lingster?.... I've got a feeling that I won't see much of you after the start image

• I'll see you at registration in my usual place, then again at St Marthas and probably a couple of other stations before I take up pacing duties later in the evening

• Good luck all, hope you enjoy every minute and every mile.  I'll be (slightly jealously) looking out for updates throughout the weekend.