Options

Starting

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

biggun.  for what its worth i wouldnt worry too much about non running activities such as weights or cross training for prep to your marathon.  Your problem is getting time on your feet and this wont be achieved sitting on a bench doing weights or swinging kettleballs about.    I would be focus on running, and even if you only have time for a 3m jog on a treadmill its better than kettleballs IMO for you.

• Options

I haven't got a plan yet Andi. I was going to get used to running and build it up for another 4 weeks, then start one of these 16 week plans..

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Documents/Fundraising/Running/RunningSection/RW_Marathon_training_schedule.pdf

My problem is i'd like to try something between the basic and the intermediate. Any ideas, or should I just go for the basic?

• Options

Just had a quick look at the link Biggun and my first thought was there is just 1 16-18 mile run and whilst I've not done a marathon before think that's too short a distance. 

As for your choice of plan, I've gone for an Advanced plan for my first - 6 days a week but chopped it up a far bit as I'm still following HADD, I also started training 3 weeks early in case of injury/illness and if I don't miss any weeks I'll just redo the 3 weeks before taper starts - that would be 6 20 milers so probably too many. I did read that your 5 longest runs should be as close to 100 miles as possible to give yourself the best chance but again, as a Mara Virgin can't comment.

This is my plan, take a look a tthe Marathon links at the top of the page, Hal Higdon explains the types of run required as well. Another site I use for predicting times and training paces is here.

• Options

Thanks Dean, makes sense. Andi, did you look down that link at the next schedule, the intermediate one? What do you think? Yours looks interesting.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I did a 16, 18, and 20 before my first and slogged around in 5:30 another long run ot two would have helped I think but i went too quick for first 5km in mara.

second due to injury i only managed one 18m run, but knocked 34m off my best just through the general mileage I'd put in and was that much fitter. 

i want to put in some decent runs for my 3rd... Hoping to do at least 10 or more halfs or longer, including one very long run 3 weeks pre mara. Trying to go sub 4:30

• Options

Did you get many injuries, booktrunk? My knee is fine when I'm running, but seems to seize up and feel a bit dead the day after. Any idea what that is, or how to prevent it?

• Options

Ooh, didn't scroll down, that looks quite intense! Not sure about how the LSR's jump up in mileage but if you fancy it then go for it image

And rather than wait to start 'proper' training I'd suggest you start asap to give you some leaway for injury/illnes, you can always redo the weeks before taper.

• Options

Bit much for me, that's why I fancy something in between the two. I reckoned that if I increased my long run by a mile or so each of the next 4 weeks, I could hopefully be around the 10 mile mark, and re-assess it from there, don't want to get too ahead of myself though, well aware how difficult it will be. How far into yours are you, and how are you finding it?

• Options

Am just about to finish week 6 of an 18 week plan (with 3 weeks in hand). I've already missed 2 LSR's and last weeks 14 miler ended up with 10 miles of walking (pulled calf) so am really 3 weeks behind  already.

I'm very quickly realising what I've taken on!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Biggun. Ask on the health n fitness forum about the knee...

I had some knee problems, I think it was/is Itband issues, I it's a lot better but not 100% now someimes trying to walk downstairs still occasionally cause quite a bit of pain at time.

i reckon andi will be brilliant legend it comes to Loch Ness image he's going to cruise round. In 4:45 image

• Options

lol Booktrunk but not sure 'cruise' is a word I'd use to describe my runningimage

• Options

Gutted today. Done 6 and a half mile run the other day, thought I'd do 7 and 1/2 today, didn't think it'd be too much of a problem. got to 3 and 1/2 and just stopped dead in my tracks, couldn't get going again. Walked for 30 mins then finished off with a 10 min jog. Fuming.

• Options

Biggun, don't fret, we all have bad days. Could be one (or more) of many reasons. I remember not that long ago 1-2 miles was the furthest I'd run before a walk break and it turned out to be a mental block, I still stop for a walk for no reason sometimes but much less often. I did 6 miles today with just my HRR% on the watch and split times every 1/2 mile - turned out to be just 11 seconds/mile shy of my 10k PB and had it down as an easy run at 69% of HRR so happy with that though tomorrow might be different.

Did you try to run further and faster as the same time? sadly they don't mix with most people.

• Options

No, Andi, just plodded along as usual. Run into a load of tourists at Parliament Square, that threw me off a bit. Think I was just looking for a way out though. Glad to see you had a good one yourself. Someone's given me a Heart rate monitor watch, just wish I knew how to use it. Stopping for a walk doesn't seem to agree with me, have to knock it on the head, although I fancied the challenge of being able to start again, just in case I have to stop in an 'event'.

• Options

Ah, so you run through London then, must be lots of stop starts for you, I usually stop for cows, sheep, and the odd horse and tourist that can't fathom out how to drive on a single track roadimage

I do find when I stop I have to do so again in a shorter time but workin gon my Cadence right now and whilst I may be taking tiny steps (and oft slower than walking) if i keep going things get easier image

I love my Garmin and HRM and following HADD I get to take a walk break when my HRR goes over XX% so walk before I'm fatigued and need to walk. Early days for you and am sure things will click in a few weeks image

• Options

Cheers mate. The technical side of what you're doing sounds interesting, might try to understand it in a few weeks when i'm a bit more comfortable with my running. Which part of the Country do you run?

• Options

Yup, tis interesting but also easy to get roped into just the technicals of running rather than the pleasure of running - think just having my HRR% on my Garmin will help me and can look at the stats when I'm recovering at home image

I now live on the Isle of Mull so all runs are undulating. Anything under 100 foot incline a mile is considered flat hereimage

• Options

Ha, ha. I bet it's beautiful there. Winter runs must be tough.

• Options

Well, didn't really run in the winter this year and only picked things up again in February so cold/windy rather than snow and ice and we didn't get much snow this year.

• Options

Can I ask what you think of this programme? You have to scroll down to page 20. No distances mentioned. Good one, or is there better for a first timer to go with?

http://beatms.mssociety.org.uk/netcommunity/document.doc?id=7

• Options

Hi Biggun, being a Novice myself not sure my comments will carry much weight however, most of the plan looks ok with plenty of speed sessions but seems light on the LSR side which imho is the most important element? I did read (somewhere) that your 5 longest runs should total as near to 100 miles as possible for best results.

As it's time based you can get paces from the macmillan site. I've yet to do any real speed sessions and will see how  I go with just my sub 70% of HRR running maybe with a few 80% sessions thrown in later.

• Options

Appreciate that Andi, you know more than me. I'm just trying to find the right programme. LSR would be long slow run, would it? I was going to swap their long timed runs with mileage targets. That 5 long runs being near as possible to 100 seems to be a great idea.

• Options

yup, Long Slow Run image I've got a 16 miler planned for the weekend and think it will be a very slow runimage The plan I chose has 3 20 milers but as I started it 3 weeks early in case of illness/injury there is a (slim) chance I might be doing 5 or 6 20 milers!

• Options

How important are short runs? I'm only getting out twice a week (+1 in the gym) and just try to run as far as I can. Should I do some easier runs? Another thing, I done 7.03 miles yesterday, but it took me 1 and a half hours. Would doing runs of only short sprints help to improve my time on the longer runs?

• Options

What made you decide on an 'Advanced' programme as opposed to a 'Novice' for your first one, Andi?

• Options

Sorry, Biggun, missed your Q yesterday, I guess short runs can be used for a few reasons?

1. Increase Weekly mileage but run at the correct pace so they are not 'junk' miles

2. Recovery runs - good for loosening tired legs

3. Lots of people do speed sessions over (realatively) shorter distances.

Ah, the Plan Q, I decided I'd rather cut out runs if  couldn't make them than add runs if I had time and maybe choose the wrong type of run. I do like my plan and whilst I've currently cut out speed work I try to do the distances and like the pace run on Sat and LSR on Sunday of this plan. I guess any plan that builds up mileage will help, especially for the first Mara and we can build on that image

• Options

Thanks Andi. I'm going to look at the plans you posted properly tomorrow and decide on one of them. Going to have to get my speed up at least a little bit. Did that come naturally with the training you did? I've never been a fast runner, I thought any time I gained in pace would be lost over the distance, (if you know what I mean) but if I can manage to finish, I don't want it to be too slow. Going by my pace at the moment, it will be.

• Options

MP Biggun, though all I say is really guessworkimage

As I said before, I'm HADDing so running to HR and recently saw a decent improvement in my running speed sub 70% of HRR. It's not a quick fix (started in Feb) but am probably running a lot further and 1-2 minutes/mile faster now. Got a 10k PB in training this week (only) 63:17 but at 69% of HRR versus a Nov '12 10k PB of 72:08 at 75%.

My goasl in my first Marathon are 1. to finish and 2. go sub 5 hours. Easy eh?

• Options

Now that you've been training a while, Andi, do you still get 'bad' days, even on a short run, or is that a thing of the past for you? If you do, how do you overcome them? Just battle through?

• Options

Funny you should mention that Biggun, I didn't want to go out yesterday but did 5 easy miles on an undulating route @68% HRR and 10:39 min miles and today did 3 miles on probably the flatest route around here @70%HRR and 10:38 min miles but if felt much (much) tougher. Am thinking it might be because my legs are not used to running on the flat and didn't have declines to regain my composure. I've learnt that if I don't feel 'right' to go for a run to still go out and run for a mile or 2 to see how I feel as often I feel fine once out there but yes, have cut runs short if I don't feel good - I guess it depends on how strictly you follow your training plan?