Pirate Tri Top

2»

Comments

• this has made my day - was disappointing to think i wasnt going to get wear the colours - seems apt the first time i do will be in a distance way, way beyond my abilities image

Barnacle - just out of interest what was your average speed for a full loop? very impressed that you managed to get the route. I need to do the full loop - if possible i actually want to do the full route for the day before hand and see if i can walk - let alone complete a 13 mile run

• He hasn't bloomin returned it yet mind image 

• I averaged 29.5 kph on the loop (About 18mph)  The Taxc software is good and downloaded the course accurately from goggle earth maps with gradients etc but can't simulate headwinds or slowing down for roundabouts etc, so that's a rough guide. Good news about the top.????

• MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

He hasn't bloomin returned it yet mind image 

Don't worry there is that much sweat gone into it down the years that if he doesn't it will form it's own lifeform and come back on it's own. imageimage 

• image I'm really selling this tri top arn't I.

• Thought it was a lend? 

• image Don't you start this poor lad might think we are all nutter's image It is a lend.

• I was more concerned you might have been expecting the poor boy to hand over money! imageimageimage

• Plus, if the cap fits! image

• MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

i finally got round to posting it back on tuesday image!

• Thankyou Bud! Good luck with Mr Cake's top image (I feel he sold it beautifully image)

• Barnacle wrote (see)

I averaged 29.5 kph on the loop (About 18mph)  The Taxc software is good and downloaded the course accurately from goggle earth maps with gradients etc but can't simulate headwinds or slowing down for roundabouts etc, so that's a rough guide. Good news about the top.????

yeah cake has kindly offered to lend me a bloodsoaked one - which i guess is a good thing!

suppose it also wont show the trucks or pot holes!

• Top received - Thankyou kindly! 

• thank you for the lend - just ashame my gut proved to not enjoy it so much image

• I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you thought image

• Afraid I'm a fat barstool so you might need to pad out the top when you get it. I will add dairy milk to the parcel just in case. image

• although i would never turn down chocolate - i am pretty sure i wont need it to pad it out

• barnacle - not sure if you know or not but there are some organised swim sessions on wednesday's at the lake now. with one the wednesday before (15th) if your around.

I plan to go next week and have a dip, although judging by the route maps, due to islands etc it looks pretty hard to get lost! £5 a pop so expensive but i think worth it - i might take my bike and do a full loop of the course as well, jsut so it holds no nasty surprises at all.

hopefully they will have the entry / exit points marked so i can do the run and back in. I need to practice my diving after watching the relays in hamburg image

• Budjude - I land in Birmingham on the 15 Aug and my brother is driving me across for the swim session that evening, so maybe see you there. 

Hows your train going? only three weeks too go! I am hoping to ride the route on the Friday before and have a look at the transition area etc.  

i think if I try a dive like they where doing n hamburg my goggles would end up round my ankles! 

????

• i think i will be shot if i go swim on the 15th as its my wifes birthday!

going tonight and as i type this its hammering it down and blowing a gale - might not bother with a lap of the bike route in the current weather!

other than that its going ok thanks- i still want to do some longer brick sessions to avoid suffering even more towards the end of the run

• Hi, hope you don't mind me joining in, but I would like to fly the colours in a half on 21st Sept in North Wales Looking for a medium top to either buy / lend. Live in Southport, work in Warrington if that helps with collecting. Thx.

• I did the swim last night and to be honest it was fairly poorly organised.

Instead of letting you do the actual course (round the islands etc.) they would only let you do a short 180m loop around buoys so you couldn’t get a feel at all for the actual route – which was the point of me going in the first place.

Because it was such a short loop and because so many people turned up to do it, it was carnage. People of all abilities and thus speeds will just milling about and it was a constant battle to find anything like ‘clear’ water or get into a routine before having to turn round a buoy.

I say ‘clear’ as the water quality was shocking. They are in the middle of clearing the weeds, which meant there were massive clumps of them floating around which you had to swim over / though. Also the process of clearing them means machinery in the water which left a lovely diesel taste to it. I spoke with the organisers afterwards and they said that neither will be an issue by the time of the 18th but I haven’t seen a lake that dirty before and my eyes still feel sore today.

As a result I only bothered doing a k and then got out and did a full loop of the bike course (something which a few seemed to do). Found it tougher than I thought when I did a section of it before – would def recommend you do the full loop as the number of roundabouts and pot holes requires previous knowledge if you can and there are actually a number of false flats on it.

That said after a heavy week / month of training I managed to do it in 1:22 at roughly 20 mph – which I would be happy with come race day. If I can keep that speed up for the 56 miles, nail both transitions, reasonable swim and do a 2hr half marathon then I will be a happy happy boy – as in theory that would put me under 6hrs.

Sounds so easy on paper.