BHF Greenwich Park 10k

AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently taken up running as a 'serious' thing (as opposed to previously where I would occasionally go the gym but otherwise only got my exercise from playing cricket.)

I have in the past, however, done a 5k charity run (about 4 years ago) and finished in about 24.30 which I thought wasn't terrible considering I basically did no training for it!

I should say that I am 30 by the way.

Anyway, I have now decided to train properly and have entered the BHF 10k in Greenwich Park in August. Has anybody run in this race in the past? I can't seem to find anything on here or on the web generally which gives a review of the event, details of the course (how hilly?) etc.

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I don't know anything about the event itself or the course they'll use, but unless it's boring loops at the top of the park, I think it's safe to assume that there will be at least a couple of hills involved!  I'm familiar with the course used by Cambridge Harriers for the Greenwich Meridian 10k in March and that involves two ascents of the road up the middle of the park, and depending on your fitness on hills you can expect it to be a minute or two slower than a flat 10k.  So I'd be inclined to get some hill training in, and be a little bit conservative in your pacing on the day.  Lovely place for a run though.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Thanks Phil,

I have pencilled in some hill sessions into my training schedule and also my weekly long runs will take in a couple of small hills. 

I've decided it's probably best not to dive in head first and overdo the training for my first race, don't want to injure myself by doing too many hard sessions each week if my body isn't used to it! 

Aiming for about 52 mins based on 5k time (no training) but secretly hoping that training this time could help me to a bit less than that!