Running in the heat

Hey Guys,

I live in France and after months of rain Summer has finally arrived, but with temperatures soaring into the mid-30's I am really struggling with my running.

I certainly was no speedster before but my run on Wednesday was just painful.   I bought a Camelbak (equivalent make) but couldn't quite get it to work (wasn't biting down in the right place) so after 8km I was pooped, could barely move one foot in front of the other......I now know how it works but haven't tried it running yet, next run this afternoon.....

Apart from hydrating is there any other tips for running in heat.....?

Thanks

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Go for your run earlier or later than usual when the heat is less intense.
  • I can try running earlier in the morning but not only is it already quite warm I have to be at work for 8am which makes it difficult......late evening is not my favourite time to run (my body does not appreciate it at all) but I may have to bit the bullet and run after 8pm.........

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

There are some places that are cooler to run than others. along a river bank for instance, away from buildings that are churning out heat, away from busy main roads.

Don't know where in France you are but if you are in town or city can you get out to the countryside easily? Or the coast, sea breeze etc.

• I am in Alsace in a total micro-climate but luckily in the country.   I have tried running in the forest as the trains give some respite from the sun but that route is only 5km so for my long runs it's not great and the mosquitoes......ouch!!!   I currently run along the canal - less mossies but absolutely no cover from the sun.....

Would wearing a hat be a good or bad thing?   I'm thinking it would help shade my face from the sun but keep the heat in my head.....not sure which is the lesser of two evils.....

I would love to run along a coast, unfortunately we are in the most landlocked part of Europe.....oh well.....I may have to get up a 5am to run!! :O)

• Definitely worth wearing a hat... a light-coloured baseball cap will help reflect the sun from your head, and shade your face.