Training Pace Calculator

AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

On the RW training pace calculator, does it work out your training speeds based upon simply maintaining the race time you put into the calculator at the top, or does it work to give you training paces which will help you to reduce that time in a future race?

Indeed, should the time you plug into the calculator be the time of your last race or perhaps instead your target pace for the next race, so that it can then calculate training paces to allow you to achieve that target?

Bit confused, especially as the time I took in my only previous race was 4 years ago and was run with next to no training, so i'm not too sure it is a good inidicator of the training paces (and indeed race pace) which I'm hoping to achieve now.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think it should give you appropriate training paces for your current level of fitness to help you improve, but that a race time from 4 years ago is therefore not likely to be much use unless you haven't improved in that time.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

I suppose I don't actually know if my fitness is that much different until i actually go out and run a timed 5k race (such as a park run). Maybe I will do that and then plug that time into the calculator.

I guess my logic was basically 25mins with no training, surely with lots of training I would hope to maybe hit 23 (or at worst 24 mins), so wasn't really sure what tiem to put into the calculator.