Dubai marathon 2014

snake-hipssnake-hips ✭✭✭

Hi, looking at a few ideas for a marathon early next year, anyone run Dubai?

never been so would like to combine with a holiday, anyone done it and recommend it?

thanks

Comments

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

not done it, but I'm thinking about it too image 

• I did Dubai this year.

I combined a 3 day mini break with the Marathon.

It is highly recommended!  I arrived in on the Tuesday night. Got up at 5am after a few hours sleep to go running.. Did 10k or so to get into the time zone/eating early etc.

That day, went to pick up the number from a hotel; great atmosphere, sharing a lift with the Ethiopian elites! 

The next morning, started the day early again and ran a few miles with some strides.

we went out for a full day trip to the East Coast... Ate some great food on a beach, the came back for an early night.

didnt pan out..the hotel was a nightmare; the room was above a nightclub.

didnt get any sleep...got up at 4am after a max of 2 hrs sleep..I was really worried I might die as never run a marathon before and I felt seriously sleep-deprived after 3 bad nights and the time difference.

The atmosphere sat the race was amazing..fog kept the temperatures down ( 15 degrees at start).. 

• The race was great; flat as a pancake.. Was great for concentrating on pace..

This was my first marathon so unsure about how I would feel. Took it easy for the first 32k only after then I started to increase the pace.

Finished in 2:57, felt I could have gone a lot quicker..

Was a good race... Not too many people, but great support along the course.

If you haven't been to Dubai before; it's worth a visit, even if just to be awed by man's architectural achievements.

Tim 

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

thanks Tim, good info! 

• snake-hipssnake-hips ✭✭✭

Cheers, really helpful.

• Anyone signing up for 2015?

• I'm in for 2015.

How good was the 2014 medal?!

• A general open question to all!

The Dubai Marathon has been won in very quick times the last 3 years... with 5 people sub 2:05.00 in 2013, which was first time ever in history I believe.

Do you think we will see a sub 2:04.00 in 2015?

Is it a World Record course?

• That's what Dubai wants, another world record. Can't remember exactly but there's a serious amount of $$$$ for the record.

• For sure Dubai wants it! 

Surely a sub 2hr4.00 is possible in 2015?!

It seems to be a course that is getting quicker every year... maybe it could eventually attract faster athletes and be quicker than Berlin.

SP14

• The course has been changed to get the record, it's boring along the beach road with only two turns and no elevation.

• I believe they modified the course prior to last years marathon ? 

I'm not sure if they are due to make further modifications before the 2015 start.

Has to be one of the flattest along with Rotterdam. I don't think they will get the record unless they can pull in the top Kenyans as well.

• I see bakeile is racing so could get interesting world record wise. 

• I'm running this one too. Dubai definitely wants the WR and they'll put $1m in the pocket of whoever achieve this.

I'm a plodder hoping to scrape under 4hrs for 2 reasons - 1/ my first 2 attempts blew up so I'm hoping the flat course will help and 2/ the 4km run starts at 11am and I don't fancy getting caught up n all that