Simple Training Forumla, would it work?

1303132333436»

Comments

• JJ, greatest achievement ever - so far image

Gary - best of luck for the race.  Can we know your race number too?

• Just been to the race village nothing to see as they are setting up, wasted journey.

I will behind the 5hr pacer and no faster unless I feel good at 16-20 miles then I hope to speed up. Maybe even 22 miles.

Cheers guys. Yes hope to see you tomorrow Gary. Good luck.
  • I'm number 10695.

Hoping for 2:50.......probably be somewhere between 2:50 and 2:55

Then London marathon the week after.

• Well I guess this is the final message before the race. I am carb loaded and now going to get ready for bed and have an early night. Hopefully next time I post here I will have lost my marathon cherry.

Thanks for all the work and help. Let's hope I can do us both proud tomorrow.
  • Seen your time. Chip time is sub 5. Well done. Achieved your target. Now onto your next one.

• Well that was tough. Too tired to type much now but 4:57:14 WELL HAPPY.
  • image enormous well done JJ!

Gary - awesome time image

• A marathon is hard hard hard. Your consistency in training has got you round.

You're going to be sore for a few days and may have to come downstairs backwards, but, you did it image Quitting when the going gets tough is easy, keeping going when everything is hurting requires mental strength.

I'm now nursing a calf injury. It 'popped' at 22 miles and slowed me up significantly. Hopefully, still be able to run London.

Once again...........well done!!! 

• GREATER MANCHESTER MARATHON (THE BUILD UP)

As per the first half mararthon i did (Great North Run) I wanted to do type up my experience of my first marathon.

When I started to run i was aiming to lose some weight and this thread all started with asking for help to improve my 10km speed. A race distance that i never thought i could improve on. 

With immense guidance from LG, i progressed and moved forward to the half mararthon. I was suffered at the end of this event and never thought i would reach marathon status.

Stupidly i decided to do the Greater Manchester Marathon, a local event to me and one i had watched the previous 2 years with envy. My aim was always to get round in under 5 hours and our plan was based on this.

And so the training started. Recalling this i remember extending my LSR to 20km and almost feeling like giving up. Having stuck with the plan I saw the LSR go to 34km before event but i was nervous that i had not trained enough, but i had to have confidence that everything would be fine, as it was the GNR.

I tried to soak up as much information as i could from the internet, Runners World, my training thread and the Manchester Marathon Thread. I also attended the ASICS seminar at Chill Factor.

Before the race i purchased some new shoes, shorts, socks and top and decided to print my name on the front of the top. I was going to make sure i enjoyed the event. Ultimately i decided not use the new shoes, i used then 4 times in training before the event but they had not broken in and my gait did not adjust so i used my old ones with 250-300 miles on them. This was the right decision.

The Thursday before the event i changed my diet slightly away from protein and more to carbs. Nothing excessive but a slight shift, which increased gradually on Friday and Saturday. I was sick of carbs, i felt bloated and had enough of them come Saturday night.

Sunday morning, i woke at 6.00am for more carbs. Learning from the GNR i decided to have a smaller breakfast of just porridge and toast. No English breakfast. With a glass of orange juice and them some electrolytes i was almost ready.

We left the house at 7.00am to our pre booked car park place. Randomly we picked up two guys walking to the tram and offered them a lift, which they took.

Arriving at the event at 7.30am i continued to take on fluid with a couple of trips to the toilet.

I tried to find some guys from the forum but without success.

As the time reached 8.40 i started my journey to the start line and find my 5 hour pacer.

I had a chat with Paul the pacer and his plan was to run steady miles at 11.27. That meant nothing to me, but assumed in KM it was 7.07 or better so we were set for the off.

• THE GREATER MANCHESTER MARATHON (THE RACE)

As the time ticked to 9.00am the race started. I took off my jacket, one i bought when i started running. It was an XXL jacket. I drowned me and what i great time to put it to charity and retire it from my wardrobe.

We passed the start line some 10 minutes later, i started my watch and off we went. Deciding to ensure i didnt waste energy dodging people at the start a stayed at the back of the group keeping the pacer with 30 meters distance of me. The pace was set and then the problems started after 1 1/2 miles. I needed the toilet AGAIN. Up to the bushes and back to the race, the pacer was 80 meters ahead, so i gradually caught his up over the next two miles before we got to the start line again. 

Having seen my wife outside the Trafford pub for a high 5, it was now time to focus and settle into my pace. Through Stretford and the crowds built up. I was feeling warm. I was not sure if it was me or the ambient temperature. I asked a few people to make sure i myself was not burning up. It was confirmed as getting warm. 

As we approached the motorway bridge i could feel a slight need for the toilet again. I knew that there would be not place to hide so i nipped in to the park and back out. The pacer was again 80 meters down the road. 

I pegged him back quicker this time, i felt strong, and sat on his should though Sale. Passed my work office and down to Sale Moor Village.

Comfortable at the pace and now getting to know the people around me i jogged along.Paul the pacer was great he was chatting to everyone, giving encouragement and shouting Oggy Oggy Oggy. I didnt shout OYE OYE OYE, deciding that every little energy i will need later on.

I couldnt believe it, i needed the toilet AGAIN. Going back to Brooklands, i found a track between house, and sneaked off. I wanted to be with the pacer throough Brooklands so i caught his quickly. 

Approaching Brooklands the crowd was loud and huge, turning to head down Brooklands Road, the sight ahead of me was amazing !!!

Paul the pacer then started to introduce walking into the running. This walking was very fast to avoid muscles cramping. I took the opportunity to walk, remembering my run/walk LSRs. I am glad i did those runs now, i knew they helped me. 

As we approached the bottom of Brooklands Road my mum and dad were there with a big JENGA sign. A little wave and a hello and we approached what i had joined the event for, a run through my own village.

We walked up the bridge quickly, as we approached the crest we ran and into my village. A little emotional at this stage, i approached the traffic lights and my mother in law and two kids with home made signs were there. High 5s all around. A few neighbours and friends were also there and hellos were exchanged.

I was comfy, i was strong, my feet were good. But guess what another toilet trip needed. My last one thankfully. We passed the water station but there was a queue of three to use the toilets. Sod that, i  would lose too much time and i knew the golf course was arriving!

In to Altrincham i was with the pacer on his shoulder. Up the incline to the top of the hill, passed the old hospital and down the hill again, striding out, gaining time.

I slowed and on the flat and let the pacer catch me, i didnt want to go too fast, i looked over my should and bang, i felt my groin tweak. A slight pain that i was feel for the rest of the race which gradually got worse and worse (i though this was 10 miles but it was around 14 miles).

Back through the village i was looking for my kids again, but they had gone, i cant blame them, it was a long wait for a 6 and 9 year old. But i saw some other friends as we went by and back to Brooklands Road.

Still feeling great i saw my mum and dad again and down the long road we went. The opposite side of the road was now empty, i was near the rear of the field, but i simply didnt care. I was with my pacer, i was strong, and i still had to 5 miles in the bank before i reached my longest ever run.

In to Brooklands Station again, the crowd had thinned but it was still decent and alot of noise. Down passed the cemetry down the hill, gaining time. My groin was still ok but i could feel it, it was not hindering me luckily.

As we turned to Manchester Road and other friend and then passed the garage and my sister was there with a spare gel. She ran with me for about 300 meters, we had a chat, she couldnt believe that at 17 miles i walking and felt great. To be honest, neither could I.

We turned onto the racecourse estate and then it me, the wall, at 18 miles. I felt the pace, i needed the walks, i needed the water, i wanted to give up. HELL NO, i doing this, i knuckled down and told Paul i was feeling it. He gave the pep talk and off we went.

In to Carrington Lane and the crowds dissappeared, I knew when we would see them again, others didnt, i chatted with people who clearly felt the pain as well. I cut every corner to reduce my distance, i kept with Paul and passed the refuge tent we went. I could see someone inside it, they looked ill. I compared them to me and i thought i was no where near that stage. It gave me a lift strangely enough.

Down Church Road, it was long it was painful, i felt my groin now, it was sore. I knew i would be in agony the next day. Training, i would have given up, the race no way!!!

At 22 miles i saw my mum and dad again, i was shattered, my shape had gone, they looked worried, but i did warn them that when they saw me there i would be in a mess. This road seemed to go up and up and up gradually. I was hanging on to Paul, he said we had 2 minutes in the bank and that his pace was to slow slightly now, something which i didnt notice to be fair, although i know he was telling it how it was as he said we would be slowing down later in the race slightly. 

Into Stretford, and WOW the noise from such a few people gave me a lift. I could see the finish almost, we were at 24 miles. I was going to do this. A final walk up the bridge over the canal and then the pacer told me it was time to go. His pace was exactly 5 hours and i had to put in some quick miles.

I felt ok to do it, i was hoping to do this at 20 or 22 miles, but i couldnt, i didnt have it in me.

I ran and increased my pace by 30 seconds a km my groin was sore, i was almost hobbling due to it now. But strangely i felt quite strong considering i had done 24 miles and over. 

The final corner approached. I kept it going as the crowds got louder and deeper. 

The final turn, the barriers, the crowd, the finish line. OMG was i really going to complete a marathon. My thoughts went back to the female runner a month ago crawling over the line, surely this wouldnt happen to me?

I crossed the line, i stopped my watch and saw a 57. I punched the air and had done it. My wife was infront of me, i fell into her arms and leaned on the barrier to hold me up.

My legs ceased. I felt exactly as i did after the GNR. i couldnt walk.

I hobbled to get my medal, i almost forgot about it. I got my goody bag and downed some protein.

The training had worked, i covered the distance, the pacing was spot on to my capabilities. 

I was chuffed to bits.I checked my watch and it showed 4:57:14 - YES !!!

• GREATER MANCHESTER MARATHON (ANALYSIS).

What did i learn from this whole experience :-

1) You need a consistent training plan. 

2) I needed someone to push me all the way.

3) If you want to do something anything is possible if you work hard at it.

4) Trust the training plan.

5) Dont go out to soon, stick to the race plan, it works, that is what the whole training was aimed at.

6) Dont drink too much. I totally drank way too much.

7) Learnt from the GNR not to eat too much before the race.

8) I know i could have gone faster. My groin prevented me from doing that. I felt i could have kicked on from 22 miles and gained another  minute or two. 

9) Without toilet stops i could have gained another 2 minutes.

10) I believe that 4:55 was achievable.

11) I believe that i have a long way to go and i could get to 4.30 by next year. If my wife allows me.

SUMMARY

CHUFFED AS HELL, I HAVE DONE WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED TO DO IN LIFE BUT NEVER THOUGHT I COULD. 

I would like to make a few thank yous :-

1) To my wife for the support during my training and allowing me to run when personal circumstances earlier in the year made it tough.

2) My friends who i have pecked on facebook about my running training.

3) My family for my support during the training.

4) Louise for the consistent effort in setting my training plan and not abandoning me. Without you Louise i would not have made the GNR, nevermind the Marathon. I owe you everything.

5) All the people posting in the Manchester Marathon Thread, who gave me the confidence and always pushed me, despite me being slow in comparison. Their training and race speed is different league to me (a quote above also from LG), but at all times they pushed me, in that thread, in here and also on my Strava.

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!

• So what do i do from here. I have no idea at the moment.

I have the manchester 10km in 3 weeks, hopefully i will be fit and then the GNR in September. Beyond that i have no idea.

MY OFFICIAL RACE RESULT

http://www.chiprace.co.uk/MyResults.aspx?CId=38&RId=932&EId=1&AId=432078

• Well done John, I have followed your story on the other thread and yours was actually the first name I checked on the website. It was my first marathon as well and have completely got the bug. Will sign up for Chester marathon next.....fairly flat and fairly local.

• Thanks Nick, I hope you got a good time. I may do Manchester again next year wife permitting.
  • Well done John.....a good read. 

All the same emotions, feelings, pains, problems we all experience.......no matter where we are in the field.

Keep your running up..........everyone has 30 minutes to an hour most days to dedicate to some form of exercise. Just make it part of your normal routine and build on your current fitness........loads of options.........Parkruns, 5ks, 10ks so on and so on

Good work!

• Well done John, sounds very much like my first marathon where I had 5 toilet stops.  I finished that one in 5:24 but have since gone on to do 3:29 (7 years ago now) and have recently done a 1:25 half marathon.  Just shows what's possible if you put your mind to it.  Good luck with whatever you do next!

• JJ, so glad you did it, and hope your groin strain is healing well.  If it is I expect you out there doing 3 - 5 gentle run to loosed up again image.  Or a swim maybe?

• The massage has certainly helped, and i can now walk on it. The crack when the sports therapist twisted it was so loud lol. But it freed it up and it is now just bruised.

I don't feel up to running tonight at the moment. But i am hoping to get out there either Thursday or more likely Friday for the loosener.

I have a 10km to do in just over 3 weeks, No time for slacking, even though my thighs are like jelly at the moment.

Been thinking about what to do after the GNR in September, and i think i have decided to have a go at sub 4:30 Manchester Marathon image

• JJ, I am pretty sure you'll do well on the 10k.  Other than loosening up and getting the legs moving, no hard sessions while you recover.  Another thing to consider is some multi-vitamins - a lot of people take a bit of an immune system hit from long-distance events, your body works pretty hard.

4h30 next year sounds like a good plan image.  Lots of hill work and you'll do it,

• A little better again today, but groin still a little sore. Other than the groin i have absolutely no other issues, no knee problems, no ankle problems, in fact they feel better than they have for a long time. Just the groin strain.

Will be attempting a small run Friday night of 3km to 5km depending on the groin.

After which I will need to get back the focus.

• Right well, I am back on the running tonight. A short little run to check the legs out. Then it is get everything ready for Manchester 10km on the 10th May.

Can I ask what are your intentions now LG. Do you feel that we have both reached our goal of achieving marathon status and so we close the thread on a high (remembering i am still due to sponsor you for your next event). Or do you think there is more to achieve for both of us by continuing the training plan? I know i have more to achieve for sure in terms of race times.

Either way I will certainly be continuing my running. I am not going to throw away everything we have achieved.

I have plans for a sub 52.30mins 10km (hopefully sub 50 ultimately), sub 2hrs half marathon and sub 4hrs 30mins marathon.

Continued help would definitely be welcomed, but i also recognise that you may not have the time to commit, or indeed wish to move on to another specimen hehehe.

• Well the time has come to close this thread off. BUT WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE. We are going to move from the Beginners section to the Training section.

For those that have followed this thread I hope you have enjoyed it. For those new to running I hope that it will offer others an insight into my developments and they can replicate it themselves.

When this thread started my aim was to progress my 10km time from 69 minutes. It has led to me doing a MARATHON.

My final times at the closing of this thread are as below :-

5km - 27:43  - on the 28/09/2013 (not been focused on)

10km - 56:52 - on the 13/11/2013 (not been focused on)

Half Marathon - 2:09:38 - on the 08/03/2015

Marathon - 4:57:14 - on the 19/04/2015

Next step is to improve all these times.

Thank you all and especially LG. The new thread can be found at http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/jengas-training-plan/290159.html 

• Sort of sad to see it go....see you on the other thread.

• It wont go for me, i have a link to always find it again image