Simple Training Forumla, would it work?

Comments

• OK JJ, 700m will do for the moment.  Try to keep the paces steady.  If necessary, start out a little slower with the objective of finishing the session at the same pace rather than going all out and blowing up, otherwise you spend a lot of effort but don't actually achieve the session targets.  We''ll go back to building on this after your race.

I used to smoke 30 a day in my wild youth - stopped a long time ago and abhor cigarettes now. No objection to a large glass of red. Or two image.

Good news that you are feeling generally stronger; laying a bit of a foundation now for the longer distances you'll need for the 21k target without injury.

• Tempo done at correct pace.

10LSR done in the rain - OMG Nipples !!!   I need cream !!!

Got my race number today - 2114 along with a flashing armband lol.

• Easy run done, now time to rest for a little jog on Tuesday and the race Wednesday. Hope the weather is good, if so i fancy my chances of 56.30 or better.

• John, good luck for Wednesday! looks (to me) like you put the work in so now just need to reap the benefits before it all starts againimage

• Cheers Andi, i have to run a PB, cant let LG down now.

• lol John and yup, am thinking LG is someone you don't want to let downimage

• Hi there JJ (and Andi) - just back from a short trip to Dubai.  I have managed to injure myself (I am rather injury prone image ) so I definitely need to live vicariously.  Off to physio today so hoping for a good prognosis because today was meant to be day 1 of long-term training programme for Two Oceans ultra next year.

Meanwhile, back to JJ -

All sounding good.  A PB would be nice, but I'd consider it a bonus given that (a) it's a night race and (b) it's not the focus race for the training.  It'll be a useful benchmark and a good opportunity to practice and hone tactics.  Last race JJ went b*&" out and hung on, which worked for him.  I'd like to see what happens with a slightly softer start and a faster finish.  But whatever works image.

Look forward to the race report; I will work on the next couple of weeks' programme ideally with the new race time. Day after the race is a recovery day.  Be observant about any aches or niggles post-race**

Andi - I'm planning my own training with a 6-7 week block of very very slow long runs as soon as I'm declared fit to start again.  I might just join you on the HADD thread once I get going image

** unlike me, hence even walking with a limp at the moment

• WoW so you do actually do Ultras then, I did see it on your profile? What on earth made you decide to do that then? Were you doing one in Dubai then when you got injured?

I would love to be able to run negative splits, but will see how it goes, I will either get dragged along and hang on or run at 6 x 5:50 followed by 4 x 5.30.

I will report back on Wednesday evening image

• Well I have only actually done one ultra so far, which was Two Oceans earlier this year, but it seems to suit my temperament.  I was just doing an easy run in Dubai, but I triggered the problem at the Marlow half the week before and ignored a niggle, which then flared up when I next ran.

• ouch, hope it all checks out and you are not too injured. Until I logged on here i had never even heard of Ultra's still cant believe do them. Amazing acheivement.

• Just found out results will be posted here :-

http://runinthedark.org/manchester/results.php?year=2013 my number is 2116.

• Txs John, will keep an eye out tomorrowimage Early night for you then or as it's a night run a lie in??

• revised number i am ................2114...................

A lie in .. i wish, dont think my boss will be too happy lol.

• JJ, best of luck for this evening - but most of all, enjoy image.

• Well, there off and JJ only has about about 40 mins running leftimage

• Hiya folks, i am back.

A great result.....my watch says 56:52 .........BUT it is also recording the distance as 10km 400 metres. I was pacing it at 5:30 and came in at 5:29.

I legged it the last 750 metres so i honestly believe if the course was set correctly i would have been well under the 56 minute mark.

Here are my splits

KM        Time        Distance     Pace

1            5:34.1           1.00            5:34

2            5:30.4           1.00            5:30

3            5:30.9           1.00            5:31

4            5:38.0           1.00            5:38

5            5:38.8           1.00            5:39

6            5:36.3           1.00            5:36

7            5:45.5           1.00            5:46

8            5:25.6           1.00            5:26

9            5:22.5           1.00            5:23

10          5:01.5            1.00           5:02

11          1:48.5             0.40          4:35

So really happy with the result either way but disappointed that my time is higher than it should be.

I await the official time now but at that distance it cant be that official lol, but it was posted more of a fun run. Apparently a group of runners from Chorlton Running Club are all claiming the distance was wrong as well.

Overall though a real good indication of a nice improvement in 8 weeks.

Thanks LG X

• Well done John! Any idea how long it took to cross the start line and was it chip timed? 

And yup, bunch of flowers need to go to LG. Nice steady splits to my newbie eye.

I've been looking at the results page and guess they are close as the entire site just 'went'.

• JJ, looks like perfect pacing, well done!!  I'll sort out paces etc for your next couple of weeks image

• Andi it probably took about 1 min to cross the line and yes it was chip timed so awaiting the result of that, but my watch will be accurate.

As for some flowers i totally agree if LG wants to PM me her address.

Looking forward to the next block of paces, i have 6 months now until my next 10km and 10 months to the GNR.

I feel really pumped up at the improvement.

• Am sure you are pumped up image couple of easy days then back to training then? Am guessing LG will be upping the anti this time round - would 45 mins be doable in 6 months?

• ah don't worry about the flowers.

My favourite charities are Mine Action Group and Medicins Sans Frontiers if you feel very strongly image

We will indeed be upping the ante - but working hard not to break my lab rat image.   45 minutes might just be a bridge too far, but low 50s eminently possible.  After that I think JJ will be joining some of the faster threads.

• Well done John! I follow this thread from time to time and you've really made good progress (with a little help from "coach" Louise). Well done, again.
  • John I see your watch was spot on image How are you feeling today?

Louise, anti-ante, I must proof read my posts lol.

• OK JJ - if you are up for a run tomorrow 12k at LSR pace (no faster than 6:50, preferably more like 7:10 pace).

Next week back to normal structure, focusing on building up distance again.  Note extra set of intervals image (for which you need to start looking for a longer stretch....I want you building up longer distances - did you say you found a place to do this?).

Monday:          Intervals          4 x 3 x 700m with 100m jog

Wednesday:    Tempo             2k warm up then 6k at 6:00 1 k cool off (total 9k)

Friday:             LSR 16k no faster than 7:00 pace

Sunday:           Easy 10k at around 6:30 – 6:45

Let me know if you have any questions, and keep me posted as always image

• Thanks for the comments folks.

Well theorectically i did sub 55 mins, so i think it is possible for 52:30, under that will start getting very tough for me I think, but who knows. I could be the next Mo lol.

Louise, next time you do an event let me know and i will sponsor you for £20 image

I felt stiff this morning, but feel ok now and ready to run again tomorrow.

My Fridays are a little busy now, so my easy run is now Friday and LSR is Sunday.

4x3x700+100  HAHHAHAHAHA OMG !!!

• JJ, thanks, thought the switch of days was just temporary, I'll make the change to the schedule.  So, 10k this evening at easy pace (but ease off if still feeling fatigued), then this Sunday 15k at LSR pace.

For the intervals, drop the pace slightly so that you can complete the session rather than starting fast and fading.  Go on, you can do it image

On ultimate targets - yes it will get harder over time to take seconds off your PB, but there's some way to go before that.

Do you have a heart monitor, by the way?  I know you like to keep things simple, but the heart monitor can be a useful tool and it's coming up to Christmas image.

Are you keeping up the core / strength work?

• I do have a heart rate monitor, but never used it or linked it the 410. I can do this if it is important.

Yes core work still done image

I know we are way off yet for times and knocking seconds off, no rush, we have 6 months to the Manchester 10km and 10 months for the GNR. So no rush at all, this recent 10km was simply for a bit of fun and was outside of the overall objectives.

• It would be quite useful to have heart rate data in the mix.  Will help see if you are working hard enough image.  Also, your resting heart rate.  Resting heart rate should be taken 1st thing in the morning before you even get out of bed, preferably on morning after a rest / recovery day.

• And now the pain starts, enjoy the HR MAX test John (you only have to do it once).