Running while also playing football

Can this be done? 

If I am following a training plan for a half marathon or full marathon is it better to not play football twice a week or will this help my running? ..

Comments

• yes, yes and no, and yes and no.image

• What SR said.

It can be done, but football is likely to disrupt your marathon training and increase the chance of injury as it's quite hard on your legs.

• Thats what I thought. My old team are begging me back for next season but I wasnt sure of my answer due to mytraining. Thanks Guys..

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I think it depends - football probably isn't optimum training but depending on how much running you are doing the football might help.   Plus the running will really help your football.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

As popsider says, the running will help the football far more than the football will help the running!

I think it depends how old you are as well. When i was playing footy in my twenties i rarely got injured or tired from it. In my early 30's before i packed it in, recovery would be 2/3 days after a game. If you want to then follow a proper running programme thats 4 days gone essentially.

You should keep playing football as long as you can if you enjoy it as the point will come relatively soon when you cant! Your running can go on at a decent level well into your 50's!

• DT19 wrote (see)

As popsider says, the running will help the football far more than the football will help the running!

I think it depends how old you are as well. When i was playing footy in my twenties i rarely got injured or tired from it. In my early 30's before i packed it in, recovery would be 2/3 days after a game. If you want to then follow a proper running programme thats 4 days gone essentially.

You should keep playing football as long as you can if you enjoy it as the point will come relatively soon when you cant! Your running can go on at a decent level well into your 50's!

Thats put it into perspective. Im only 22 so I have still got a few good years left in me. I quit last year and took a season out, I missed it. 

• I found out at the age of 54 that although my head thinks my body can go at the same pace  and do the same things as it could at the age of 24 (or even 44) but my body just does not agree. I found I could quite comfortably play at about 80% and get by without being the worst player on the pitch, the trouble was when I tried to go flat out, thats when the injuries kicked in. In some ways the training and games could be useful speed work but for me I figured I could keep running for years but would rather do it without the injuries football was more frequently bring about. It was also getting a bit embarrassing to find that some of the guys in the team were three years younger than my son.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Kicking things and being kicked. Not the best preparation for running races.

🙂