Annoying pain in right leg, knee and hip

Hi all,

I am going mad with this. Every since I have been running (On and off for 5 years) I have struggled with niggling pain in my lower back and knee and now my hip.

I've been to physio who said my thighs are weak and that is putting pressure on joints.

Then a doctor who says I have one leg longer than the other...

Another doctor  said I was just unlucky and shouldnt run- I cant accept that!!

I have started physio excercises and wear a heel raise. The pain now seems to be less localised and just a general feeling of annoyance down my leg. Like a dull ache, or that somthing is trapped/twisted. Its not painfull but just irriates me, a bit like a restless feeling


It prevents me really pushing my running to the next level as I am so worried about maiking things worse.


Any ideas what the hell is going on?


  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

    You have either weak thighs, a long leg or there again a short leg, or your unlucky? and you expect us to tell you what is up when physios and doctors cannot agree.... Good luck with that image

    Maybe you need to do whatever you are doing now if the pain is changing ? lots more physio and time and see how it goes... If the physio is right you aren't going to cure those "weak muscles" overnight. If he's wrong then oops! if you are doing what the physio suggested which is train X muscles, is wearing a heel raise going to effect that as surely that is going to change your shape compared to what it was or does the physio know and agree about the heel raise? If not are you already throwing two different methods of curing it together, and then probably going to end up with a different problem?

    No-one has a pefect runing body.. Make the best of what you have. Get yet another opinion, but really it sounds like you need professional help, maybe you could get some good physio recommendations image

  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

    Sounds like an abductor problem. The muscle's connected to your lower vertabrae and wraps around/ through your hip region and down your leg.

    You've probably some residual scar tissue from the top end mucking about with inflammation as a by product.

    Exercises to strengthen your lower back could work.

  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

    I agree with Ric, plus I know from experiencing a similar problem.

    You may need to see an osteopath, to check whether you really have one leg longer than the other, or if the muscle imbalance is making it look like one is longer. Or your pelvis may be twisted or tilted.

    Do your exercises religiously, even when you feel better keep doing them. I stopped and the pain came back.

    One muscle may be very tight, another weak, one compensates for another and so on.

Sign In or Register to comment.