Colds & training

Thanks to the generous overproduction of nasal mucus by the youngest Fifer in the house, I'm now going down with a cold.Just at the tickly, slightly binged up nose stage.
I cancelled the 3 miler that I had planned tonight.
This is the first interuption to traning that I've had in the 3 months that I've been running.
I want to get back to training ASAP, but I don't want to risk myocarditis.
Any hints on how long after syptoms clear before I resume training?
What do more experienced runners do?
cheers
TFF

Comments

• You'll get lots of different bits of advice here. Here's my two penneth

Remember that a cold is a virus, it'll need to run its course. Personally I'd say that whilst you have the sore throat and the other symptoms you should stay indoors with lots of drinks and paracetamol. Once you reach the grotty snotty stage you might feel like a bit of a jog. From there on there's light at the end of the tunnel - you just have to remember to take a hanky out with you.

Patience is the key word. A few days off wont hurt you - honest they wont.

Get well soon
  • I've got the cold at the moment and wont consider running unitl I've had at least 24 hours of feeling normal, not just better and able to run.
  • My kids are wonderful and share their germs with me too!
    They are now well and i have the sore throat, bad cough, bunged up head thingy.
    i'm keen to run again but i'll probably just have to sit it out, similar to the advice from Fell Running.

Bored.............. ho hum............

Waiting to run again!!
    :-(
  • Fortunately I'm feeling much better now. I have a short 3 mile run planned for Sunday morning just to get me back into the swing of things.
    Hope you feel better soon, Andy.
    Toddler Fifer has STILL got a snotty nose- delightful, and he has yet to master the art of blowing his nose!