Tuesday 25th November

13»

Comments

• Snail, you might end up paying and paying and paying. Anyway of getting a price to complete the job. My experience is that you can't and i suppose that is to be expected given the nature of the problem.

BT; I have found in recent years that training double or even treble the mileage I used to run per week i don't get injured but was constantly 'out' in early years when most of my runs were high intensity sessions but the total wekly mileage often didn't exceed 25-30m.

BR; I think every runner has his/her natural running action and attempt to change tis because someone thinks your style looks wrong may end in disaster.

What 15m supposedly easy butb ending up hard

Last hard Monday 12 on good old T
    Last rest Sat.
    See you all tomorrow
    DCD
  • treadmill
    i agree

its interestingto note the really weird running styles in races

well, they must be good cos they are ahead of me
    but WOW , some of them look odd
  • I have also got a feeling that a change in trainer design can have a negative effect on your injury incidence. I fail to see how a runner can mentally control 30,000 footfalls during the course of a marathon.

Personally I'm still not 100% happy with any trainers that I own.

Tonight's running = rest.
    Why = because I'm not on the 100 mpw programme
    Last week achieved 42 miles, this week target 25. I think I'll look to do at least one really good quality session.
  • Blisters
    i UTTERLY trust my sauconys

they will get me there

so even tho, now i dont over pronate any mor????????
    ill stick with me Hurricanes
  • glad to see that my freebie session has at least provoked some discussion. Interesting to see that site, Tim - looked at a bit of it, particularly the ten things to look for - and what the guy came up with today was the 9th point, the circumvaulting thing, where you swing your leg round to overcompensate. That website says it's commonly linked to osteoarthritis. So basically, between you and the podiatrist, I'm right back to where I was 16 years ago, with a diagnosis of arthritis in my knees and hips! So glad I've learnt something today ;-)

I'd have been pretty surprised if I'd gone for gait analysis today and they'd not found anything at all, for two reasons - 1) I've had so many problems walking, and had ops and physio etc, that if they'd found nothing at all abnormal I'd have doubted their judgement and 2) it was a marketing exercise, and they're not going to make money out of telling people their gait is absolutely fine.

I think you'd have to take any of these results with a pinch of salt. HOWEVER, I am far happier to go along with a physio's recommendations based on a podiatrist's video analysis of me running, than I am to follow a rheumatologist's prescription of steroids and painkillers based on my description of where it hurts. I feel there is a sounder basis to the former...

On the other hand, I'm not hurting at all anywhere at the moment, and I haven't had any of the normal pain I've had for the past 16 years since starting to run 'seriously' (my definition, not BR's or BT's or anyone's!) so clearly I'm doing something right with the running. I've also not had any injuries at all. So the jury's still out as far as I'm concerned - but I am now incredibly self-conscious about the way I sit, stand and walk!!!

oh, and I noticed that the video of me running taken from the rear was incredibly unflattering, and made my bum look ginormous :-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Saucony are in my opinion one of the safest and best buys for running shoes!

I've had loads of pairs and even though I run in lots of different makes I always have a pair of Saucony's on the go.

At the moment they're the Saucony Spy a performance trainer-excellent, did the marathon in them no problem.
  • Hilly
    seconded
    as a seriously overweight and flat footed runer, ive had no injuries
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    That's good Hippo, I wish I could say the same!

However, the shoes aren't the cause of any injury I've had.

One of the things I like about Saucony is they are great for off road running as well as the road.
  • thye are great fo fat hippo feet

well,i can live with no toenails

• have found myself a mentor, non forumite, thats gonna run a couple of races with me

How lucky is that

• Hmmm might get on top of this training eventually, especially now I have got a bit of help !!!
  • Late posting this evening. Having read some of the earlier posts, feeling grateful that I have (apparently) a neutral footstrike...

"Tempo handicap run" it was. Hard work as usual - especially into the wind on West Kirby prom. Then my glasses steamed up after I'd turned round for home.
    A decent enough time (better than 3 weeks ago), but felt slightly jaded - and my guts felt bad again later. Think that "step back" week is going to happen soon...
  • Two Ton...
    I'm interested...
    You say that you are on a weight loss programme. Please tell us where you started from, and where you are now. It's just that us mere mortals wonder why you haven't disappeared altogether.

Yes, we are envious of your dedication, and want to know how you are progressing.

189 miles per week sounds quite extreme.
  • Very late post! very late session

5 miles steady and some stretching.
  • Mike
    whats the matter with your guts?
  • René Fromage (rhb]

thanks for the hyper-link lesson.

I'm off to a quite part of the forum to test it out!!!