Hadrian's Wall 2014

Comments

• Why have you booked a hotel in Cardiff? Or do you mean Carlisle?

• I'm signed up for the 2 day event!! Buzzing and cannot wait - first ultra and been wanting to do this ever since accidentally seeing the end this year - I live in Newcastle and hit the Quayside as some finishers came in. Looked amazing!!

Re Training. I've run 4 marathons (5th at Kielder soon and 6th at York) : anyone got any tips/links to ultra training programmes/theory type pages??

Best wishes all!!!

• Hahahahaha yes Lisa, sorry. I meant Carlisle. Hell mend me if I was booking in Cardiff. Though truth be told I have done things worthy of the title, "outrageous stupidity".

Adrian, I got myprogramme from Relentless Forward Progress by Byron Powell,

http://tinyurl.com/mdopbfq

And I highly recommend it.

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

I was just on the webpage for this and am really tempted to enter. I've been looking for something stupid, sorry I mean challenging to do to celebrate my 50'th and this seems to tick all the boxes. Would only do it as a 2 day.

• Redjeep - my brother and I have entered this to 'celebrate' his 50th! We are doing the 2 dayer as solos' because he's worried I'll slow him down. I'm older than him, and this will be our first ultra.

What have we gone and let ourselves in for......

• Lol Edinburghemma!

Yay glad there's some more 2 dayers!

• Just signed up, 69 miles in one day.... bricking it slightly

Can't wait either, just the 10 months to go!!

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    grumpycow wrote (see)

Redjeep - my brother and I have entered this to 'celebrate' his 50th! We are doing the 2 dayer as solos' because he's worried I'll slow him down. I'm older than him, and this will be our first ultra.

What have we gone and let ourselves in for......

That's it. I feel that I've been left with no choice now !

Shall I bring the cake or will you  ?

• I'll MAKE the cake!!

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    grumpycow wrote (see)

I'll MAKE the cake!!

Sounds like a deal. If I do it I'll bring one as well. So I've got 10 months to a) train to run my first ultra and b) learn how to bake my first ever cake. Simple.

I downloaded a copy of "Relentless Forward Progress" for my Kindle last night which is providing me with all the inspiration required..

• If you enter now you'll have all the inspiration you'll need - you wouldn't want to waste all that money, would you.......

• I'm in it, no idea what I need to buy from a running sjops!

guess I'll need more than my usual shorts & T shirt!

• L have entered as well - glad to hear I am not the only mad person out here - my first ultra, and I will be 57 this year - what have I let myself in for? Definitely the 2 day option, lots of cake, and .....hoping for a miracle, I think!

• For accomodation, from revious experience, the Ibis in Carlisle is near the Travelodge but significantly better value and quality, as for Newcastle the central travelodge is not brilliant but is the closest hotel to the finish and is currently about £50, from previous experience you will pay more than double if you book later in the year   

• Oh dear, here we go again ... !

Am I doing it again? Maybe ... possibly ... probably ... 
    The question is one or two days image

@ Bees: Marathon du Medoc is this weekend, which mean registration for next year will be up soon!!! image

• Thanks for the tip on the Ibis Runnin man! I'll book that asap!

• I'm in... 1 day'er for me. 

Is it easy to navigate the course ? I've only done the Cotswolds Way ultra before (as multistage) which was well signposted (and had a great trail map). Does Race the Wall follow a marked trail route or will I have to learn to read a map?image

• @ Plod-on: The course is pretty well sign posted and easy to navigate, just have to follow the big arrrows. Going into Newcastle there were less arrows which lead to a bit more doubt, but still quite hard to get lost ... ! 

Oh and even though the marshall's were brilliant and did a fantastic job most of them seemed unsure when the next 'pit stop' was! So take their promises of distances with a pinch of salt! 

• Thanks Crash Bang Wallop.. I'm sure I'll manage to get lost somehow (often get lost just going on a local 'out and back' routeimage ). Good to know it's well sign posted etc. though I'm guessing I'll be doing a fair bit after dark (probably 3-4 hours or so) so will get a super head torch i think.

• Hello all! I am thinking about doing this one - it would be my very first attempt to the distance and I would like to do the full day (I would rather run 69 miles in one day than spend a night in a tent!).

I am also based in Kent (hello ot the other Kent runners!), I run with Maidstone Harriers and live... in Maidstone (surprise, surprise). I have, so far, run 2 marathons and a mini (50km, Fairlands Valley) ultra, and am about to run my third marathon in two weeks' time (Chester). I have booked 4 more marathons so far for my Winter season, of which 2 in January back to back.

Now, from what I understand - you start from Carlisle and end up several hours after (15? 17?) in Newcastle, is that correct? Are the start and finish in the middle of nowhere or in fairly reasonable places?

What time is the start for the one day thingy? I have read in this forum that one may finish as night falls, which is around 10 pm at that time of the year, so would the start be around 7 am?

I look forward to chatting about training with all of you - I am not fast but really like spending time on my feet and do regularly training rns of 40km+ because I really like them.

• Hi Barbara, welcome to the forum! (It tends to get a little busier as the months go on ...) 

Assuming they don't change the race too much you start at Carlisle castle which is just outside of the town centre and finish running across the millenium bridge in the centre of Newcastle! So easy to get to and lots of hotels etc. close by. 

The start for the one dayer is 7am, 2dayer is 8am at the castle so probably will be finishing in the dark (although the winner last year did it in 10.5 hours!) 

• Hey CBW, thank you for your speedy reply to my message - which on re-reading it seems to have been composed by a dimwit, apologies to all, I am not *that* dizzy, I just don't come across well in forum posts.

Thank you also for the info, I have checked the one-dayer starts at 7 am, and good to know that start and finish are central. I suppose the best thing to do is sleep in Carlisle on Friday night and Newcastle on Saturday. Ok, I've got some organisation to do, as I will be travelling with hubby and 2 small kids on public transport, that's going to be the reall challenge, get us all there... and back. The training is going to be easy peasy compared to the logistics...

• I've entered for next years event over the two days, but wasnt planning on camping overnight, was going to go and sleep elsewhere.. Is this allowed does anyone know?

Edit:

IGNORE ABOVE.. Just found the answer on the website, theres no problem in staying off-site

• I have booked the hotels! I am travelling on my own the Friday afternoon, will be staying at the Ibis hotel carlisle (not cardiff image ) , then do a little stroll across the country on Saturday and joining my family in Newcastle on saturday night! We will all be staying at the Millennium premier Inn, the height of luxury!image

Still have to enter the race, but now that the family logistics are sorted it's a relief...

• Hi Barbara - I am staying in the same hotels as you! The wall will be first ever ultra and I am doing teh 1 day option too. I am not expecting to finish it until the early hours though - hopefully just make the 24hr cut off! I am also staying in Newcastle the Sunday night before driving home with the Hubby on Monday morning. Excited is not the answer!

• YAY Jennifer, that's great! I have only done a mini 50km so it's uncharted territory also for me! I have no idea how long it's going to take me! I have checked the rules, it does not say 'no heelies' anywhere so that may be my secret weapon! image

And excited: YES YES YES YES YES YES

• Well I have done nothing but half marathons so far so you are further ahead than me!! got a 32 miler in January planned and have put in for the ballot for London (or Hamburg marathon if I dont get London) but luckily I am very good at running slowly for a long time!

• Barbara and Jennifer - great minds think alike (or was it because it's the cheapest option!!!) I'm doing the 1 day option and am at Ibis too... in carlisle (not booked the Gateshead hotel yet) but like you Barbara, may pick newcastle instead

• Great, we are going to have an amazing time Jennifer and Plod-on!

I have ordered Relentless Forward Motion and cannot wait to tweak my training for this. I have got Chester marathon in 10 days' time, then a little rest. And then I shall focus on this.